Boeing tests ‘electric’ jet on Air Canada Boeing 767

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Boeing tests ‘electric’ jet on Air Canada Boeing 767

Post by Rebel »

Industry News:

Boeing tests ‘electric’ jet on Air Canada Boeing 767. Earlier this week, Boeing tested an electric motor that could allow commercial jets to taxi around airports without using their engines or ground-based towing vehicles. In June, Boeing’s advanced research and development unit Phantom Works and Chorus Motors, in cooperation with Air Canada, used the nose-wheel motor to move around an Air Canada Boeing 767 jet in tests simulating various runway conditions. Air Canada pilots performed ground maneuvers on slopes and terrains typical of those at airports around the world, including driving in reverse from a gate and taxiing forward to a runway. Tests were also performed at ramp temperatures exceeding 120 degrees Fahrenheit and at loads of up to 94 per cent of the maximum takeoff weight for the airplane. While it’s unclear how soon the motor would be ready or how much it would cost, Boeing said it could save airlines money by eliminating the use of airport tow tugs and boost efficiency by running their jets less, as well as reduce emissions.
---------- ADS -----------

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

It's amazing what kinds of ingenuity, the rising price of fuel will bring about...

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
cedar tree
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cedar tree »

Hey, is there a link for this big news?

Intellivision made me a pilot.
Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

Cool idea. I wonder how much it weighs? Would be a shame to burm more fuel carrying it than what it saves on the ground.

cedar tree
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cedar tree »

Is the info on the electric jet correct? I've read about an electric belt driven nose gear trial on the 767...

Intellivision made me a pilot.
plankspanker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by plankspanker »

Jaques Strappe wrote:Cool idea. I wonder how much it weighs? Would be a shame to burm more fuel carrying it than what it saves on the ground.
Just thinking about this, it probably isn't all that bad for weight. Electric motors excel in high torque/low speed applications and no battery required as you'd probably power from the apu generator. Good idea I say. Shame it'll cut down the chances I get as an AME to drive jets around with the motor's running! :(

Return to “Air Canada”