How long to left seat?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JestWet
Rank 1
Rank 1

How long to left seat?

Post by JestWet »

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on how many years of seniority it currently takes to hold the left seat on the A319/320/321 fleet in both YVR and YYZ at mainline. How does this compare at Rouge?

Also, what are the average number of days worked per month on this fleet?
---------- ADS -----------

dukepoint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How long to left seat?

Post by dukepoint »

Sheeesh....that's a tough question.

Vancouver and Toronto are dramatically different. In order to hold a left seat on the 320 in YVR right now, out of 3000 pilots, your seniority number would have to be about 1000 or less. That equates to a date of hire around 1998. Toronto Capt 320, around number 2050'ish, with a hire date around 2005. This is at Mainline.

Rouge is very different; significantly junior, though with the 6-year step on scale for Capt pay, it's about to change. My guess on the next bid, if positions are open, you'd have to be around seniority number 2200 for skipper in YYZ, while Vancouver Rouge will likely go around 1500. Currently junior Captains on the 319 at Rouge are 2007/early 2008 hires....mostly in YYZ with only a couple in YVR.

The Embraers are staying at Mainline........at least 20-25 are. It's a pretty good paying skipper job.

According to "the latest"....things are about to change dramatically. Starting in late 2016, early 2017 were going to need around 750 pilots within a few years. Retirements and "the apparent expansion" of the Widebody fleet will create a tremendous vacuum up the list. Should be a great place to be if a "certian executive" isn't blowing smoke up our......

My projection is for a junior Rouge left seat 737, or EMJ Mainline (replacement) within 5 years of anyone's arrival on the property after the hiring starts in earnest. It's going to be an awesome place to be if all the projections are right. But this is aviation.

Pilots work on average 14-16 days a month at Mainline. 16 days a month in the high season at Rouge, with what appears to be 12-15 during the shoulder season...but I could be off a bit.

DP.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

17-19 days are not uncommon on WB if you're junior.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Justwet, from an old guy that has been around a long time my advise is this - for what it's worth. If the left seat is huge in your mind, the Big Airline might not be for you. To say it is a moving target, would be an understatement.

That said, the right seat on the widebodies is a fantastic job. That is why it is substantially more senior than the junior narrow body Captains. The bottom half (68 Pilots) on the EMB Captain list in Toronto are too junior to hold the Right Seat on the T7.

I have known many Jazz Dash Captains that were too hung up on the left seat and the short term pay cut, that they bypassed joining the Mainline. A few decades later and plenty of water under the bridge, they (may) have regretted that decision.

Return to “Air Canada”