WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

metalpedal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: WestJet Mainline/Encore Hiring pool

Post by metalpedal »

How long does it take before you get an answer after an interview? Do they send out the PFO's fairly early?
---------- ADS -----------

TedStriker80
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TedStriker80 »

Speedbird - got a call on Thursday for a May GS

Metalpedal - It was about a week between the interview and the email saying I was accepted to the pool. I would guess there are a lot of variables that could make that wait vary though.

Best of luck!

metalpedal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by metalpedal »

Congrats on the ground school Ted!
Did they make you go through a criminal record check before the call?

Lateralus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lateralus »

TedStriker80 wrote:Speedbird - got a call on Thursday for a May GS

Metalpedal - It was about a week between the interview and the email saying I was accepted to the pool. I would guess there are a lot of variables that could make that wait vary though.

Best of luck!
Ted was that for WJ or Encore? Just curious as I have a friend in the pool for WJ waiting for a course date. Congrats and welcome to the family.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Sun May 26, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Congrats to all you guys. :D

The info I have is the following:

Encore Calls for May 11th have gone out. From the sounds of it it's a 100% YYZ course.

Mainline calls for May 04th and May 25th have gone out.

Not sure if they are still filling anybody up in the mentioned courses. I have heard in the past that while they aim to call people 30 days in advance, it's not uncommon to be called for a course prior to the 30 days, and inside the 30 days either. Anything goes!

Hopefully someone with more info can update you guys.

Is there anyone who has interviewed for Encore last year and is still in the pool?

Lateralus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lateralus »

K cool. Thanks

back_course
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by back_course »

Just one Encore course for May ??

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi All,
WJ has two courses in May. The first one has been called the second one has not. It’s a course of 8 and 4 are coming from flow (50%).
The proposed July course for WestJet has now slid a couple weeks to now start in August. We are also planning two courses in the fall (no change there yet)
Cheers!

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

I was on the Westjet career section. It only advertises for Encore, anything for mainline ? (Pilot position)

ScudRunnerr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ScudRunnerr »

Dont think there will be another posting from what I'm hearing, still waiting to apply myself

TedStriker80
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TedStriker80 »

Lateralus,

Sorry I should have been more specific in my last. I interviewed for a spot with Encore and got on the May 11th course. Tunnel vision on my part.

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

frog wrote:I was on the Westjet career section. It only advertises for Encore, anything for mainline ? (Pilot position)
My understanding is there are enough pilots in the mainline pool for at least this year. With Encore taking more of the spots there will be fewer and fewer spots available for mainline to the outside world.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Encore? Better build up some fat reserves now or ask mom and dad if they still have that bedroom available. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
metalpedal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by metalpedal »

Anyone have an idea of how long candidates are staying in the pool recently?

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

It really varies. 2 days to 6 months.

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

5 months and counting for me. (Mainline) // Well the waiting is over !

Edited:

Here's how it went for me:

Applied January 2014
Interview October 2015
Pooled November 2015
Got the call for May 25th ground school (737)

:-)

Last edited by Benwa on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
--In his wrapup remarks, the FAA chief said, "If you think the safety bar is set too high, then your
standards are set too low."
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

metalpedal wrote:Anyone have an idea of how long candidates are staying in the pool recently?
I've heard 1 day, I've heard 12 months. Good luck to you! 8)

metalpedal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by metalpedal »

I hope it won't be too much longer for you loopa! Do you know of anyone who had his candidacy expire after 12 months? Wonder if it happens...

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Haha thanks man. The wait - it's been an interesting ride :lol: I've been in the pool shy of 4 months. I interviewed last year. Been in touch with people who had less exp who interviewed after me that were in the pool not even 2-3 weeks.

The name of the game is that the wait times in the pool vary so much due to many different reasons, that trying to figure out why someone waits and someone doesn't becomes something you can drive yourself insane with hahah :P

Here are the reason's for long and short wait times that I've heard for both WJ and Encore. I don't know how accurate they are, but take it with a grain of salt - they seem to make sense:

- Interview scores
- Good references / poor references
- (Encore), you did extremely well on your interview, but they would like to see you with a bit more time before you take that left seat with them, so they keep you in the pool to gain more hours (hence why some people are in the pool north of the normal time line to get a call). The way I understand it, people who anticipate sitting in the right seat for 2 or 3 years at Encore (say a 2000 hour pilot with navajo and 704 time) may get a call before a 3000 hour pilot with 2000 hours 705 time, cause they want the 3000 hour guy to maybe get another 500 hours before they join, but will still upgrade ahead of the previous guy who will be waiting 2-3 years for their turn. WOW, worst run on sentence ever, but does it make sense? LOL.
- Demand at Encore, so if they anticipate a lot of their senior guys flowing through, perhaps they will hire a more experienced class that can replace the additional roles at Encore that are normally held by the experienced guys flowing through. You know Training Captains, ACP's, Sim Instructors (not really sure what the additional roles are at Encore).
- Trying to award you a base close to you so you don't have to move across the country. Try to give BC/AB/MB people YYC, or give ON/QE/NB people YYZ, etc.
- More experienced people being the obvious choice and pushing other people with less exp down the pool.
- WJ trying to have a good relationship with your company, so they don't take many people at once. Or if they know you have a training bond, they take you closer to the expiry of your training bond? Not sure about the latter, but I've heard the first one quite a bit.
- Etcetera

If it's any consolation I know of 4 people who were PFO'd on their initial interview, waited a year, reapplied, and when pooled only waited a few weeks for a course. So this whole pool/pfo process is in my opinion something no body should ever take personally. As it does not at all define the abilities and values you bring to your work place. Sure, some people would obviously get a PFO, but it's my opinion that there are a lot of good guys and girls who don't get the chance that should be, as proven by the people who get pfo'd initially and then hired a year later. But! No one is entitled to anything in this industry, so just take the chances as they come, and hope they amalgamate into the right path for your career :idea:

I've heard of one person who had their candidacy expired after 12 months. This individuals wife worked at WJ and was constantly bugging HR why they haven't hired her hubby. So a boundary of professionalism was crossed and I think that's why this person didn't get it. Other than that, it's even been DaveP's word that they utilise everyone in the pool. You're usually in the pool cause they want you, not cause they feel sorry for you :lol:

The wait sucks! But it builds character, so the attitude remains onwards and upwards - tailwinds and blue skies. :D How long have you been in the pool metal? 8)

Return to “WestJet”