Dumping outbase maintenance

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mrayyc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Dumping outbase maintenance

Post by mrayyc »

jetsetfly wrote:You should have a talk with PACT AMEA and get them involved,hopefully its not a true rumour as outbase Maintenance is a backbone of the Tech Ops world.
"back bone" thats a pretty bold statement. I feel we all need to stick together it's hard to see the other side sometimes.
---------- ADS -----------

Outbase Guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Outbase Guy »

mrayyc wrote:
jetsetfly wrote:You should have a talk with PACT AMEA and get them involved,hopefully its not a true rumour as outbase Maintenance is a backbone of the Tech Ops world.
"back bone" thats a pretty bold statement. I feel we all need to stick together it's hard to see the other side sometimes.

Agreed. While I believe that outbase maintenance is an important part of the TechOps machine, we're not the backbone.

kaput
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kaput »

Old fella wrote:Kaput.
Going into my 65th year, there isn't much I haven't seen or heard of/about- believe me on that. IMHO what is being posted here concerning WJ is the natural progression of an airline , most if not all understand this. That was my point.
Yeah sorry about that... I actually agree with everything you said.

I guess I was just trying to say that any business needs to change to be more efficient, not just airlines. But that's obvious. I'm a dummy.

johnkruk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by johnkruk »

Its just business, Westjet is changing ! The introduction of a new airline thats gonna take over mainline work, they have to look at the numbers of doing maint in outbases where the mainline fleet is decreasing! and where Encore looks like its going to be risk managed in most cases! To single someone out "MK" is nonsense ! you think a lower level manager is making these kinds of decisions? its bean counters ! they come up with numbers and present it to execs and they make the decisions and lower level managers have to feed to there employees, not a fun job !!!
I wonder if there was a re-vote on this airline , knowing what the employees know now, and how little we were told when we did vote on it, what do you think the results would be? Oh, to just have another AC type added to the fleet instead of all these walls between employees , frozen salaries , lay-offs / re positioning people, guess the bean counters said it was better this way cause you can pay people 2 dollars less an hour!

Triwing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Triwing »

Seems open and honest time is over

Two completely differently stories. Pretty obvious that someone is lying. Simple logic tells me that Upper management has a lot more reasons to lie than mike and the mom team has

Guess we'll see who the liers are as time moves forward

kaput
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kaput »

Triwing wrote:Seems open and honest time is over

Two completely differently stories. Pretty obvious that someone is lying. Simple logic tells me that Upper management has a lot more reasons to lie than mike and the mom team has

Guess we'll see who the liers are as time moves forward
Those are some pretty strong words and accusations. I don't think you're being very nice.

Nobody wants people to be uprooted or worse, laid off. But what if it doesn't make business sense to keep some of the outbases open? Are you saying we should just keep them open forever even though they could be essentially a drag on the rest of the company? Isn't that kind of selfish?

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

This sounds like a communication issue. You have upper management stating one thing and lower level management saying another. My guess is there has definitely been some discussions regarding outbases....but to what degree?

I think it is a smart move to review any part a business from time to time. Perhaps upper management has put it to lower level management to provide them with a solid business case for maintaining these maintenance stations (hence the rumors). Factors such as costs, OTP, safety, customer satisfaction all play a role. You weigh all of the good things AME's provide at out-stations vs. the costs of maintaining the base (Vehicles, parts, salaries, office space, etc...) and somehow spit out a value.

Say (as an example) the YHZ guys averted several AOG's last year what was the value of that? Or they fixed a problem on a transit and the crew didn't duty out? I'm sure these sort of thing are discussed.

And other thing, if the lower level maintenance managers present a really good business case they will just bring new light on how important these guys are to the overall product.

RustyDeuce
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RustyDeuce »

johnkruk wrote:Its just business, Westjet is changing ! The introduction of a new airline thats gonna take over mainline work, they have to look at the numbers of doing maint in outbases where the mainline fleet is decreasing! and where Encore looks like its going to be risk managed in most cases! To single someone out "MK" is nonsense ! you think a lower level manager is making these kinds of decisions? its bean counters ! they come up with numbers and present it to execs and they make the decisions and lower level managers have to feed to there employees, not a fun job !!!
I wonder if there was a re-vote on this airline , knowing what the employees know now, and how little we were told when we did vote on it, what do you think the results would be? Oh, to just have another AC type added to the fleet instead of all these walls between employees , frozen salaries , lay-offs / re positioning people, guess the bean counters said it was better this way cause you can pay people 2 dollars less an hour!
I'd still vote yes. Just a few weeks ago we were all reaping the financial rewards.

Triwing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Triwing »

Deleted by triwing

Red1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Red1 »

tin foil hats, now that's funny. :lol:

The force will be with you, always
memyselfandi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by memyselfandi »

It's funny how this topic seems to have died. It's STILL a reality, with the outcome most likely being the announcement that "these bases have been chosen for closure". It is seeming like Saretsky is being let off the hook, and that is not right. He has had a hard on to dump outbase maintenance ever since his erroneous "informative session" since before he was the CEO of WestJet. He's an accountant and always will be. And guess what, accountants only care about MONEY, no matter what they say. He already has a reputation of pissing people off, so I guess it's going to be a reality here as well, all in the name of "profits". WestJet's legacy is to look after it's people and guests, but profits are infringing on this and there is one person to look at, and in the words of Russell Peters, "I think you might know who that is!" More money is always great, but WestJet has had many CEO's, and a majority of the employees have outlasted most of them. Money doesn't buy happiness. So who REALLY makes the backbone of the Company? Hopefully, he doesn't ruin Westjet culture before he leaves with his HUGE payday that CEO's usually leave (unjustly) with! Sorry Clive, TOTALLY not meant for you. You're the best!

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

It's interesting because traditionally it's the heavier maintenance that gets outsourced. I wonder where Sareltskys sights will be aimed when he and his team are enjoying the short term bonuses from outsourcing the line Maintanance. Bet they have quite the appetite to shop around the phase checks.

They'll all be long gone with bonuses in their bank accounts long before any chickens come home to roost. Any troubles the next CEO has will only make Sarelstsly look better. It's all about the next quarter. You guys needed legal contracts years ago

Best of luck guys. I hate seeing this crap constantly go down in this screwed up industry

johnkruk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by johnkruk »

Agreed !!! And how long is it till our heavy maint goes third world ? This has to be the biggest cost savings ! Have the SMV's done in Central America , compared to here , this has to be the biggest most obvious way to save big $$$$$ , stock price up !!!!!!!!!

conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by conehead »

Air Canada gets their 767 heavy work done at Tel Aviv, Shannon Ireland, Singapore, and many shops in the USA. Whoever is offering the lowest rates. Wonder where Westjet will get similar work done? By the way, we spend a lot of time and money fixing the airplanes that come out of those foreign shops.

johnkruk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by johnkruk »

Very true , a lot of the work done out of these third world shops is garbage , do you think a bean counter cares ? All that matters is numbers , if on paper doing these checks in the third world , where most of the people actually doing work on the plane cannot read a maintenance manual, saves money , which it would on paper , then let's do it , stock price up !!!!

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

johnkruk wrote:Very true , a lot of the work done out of these third world shops is garbage , do you think a bean counter cares ? All that matters is numbers , if on paper doing these checks in the third world , where most of the people actually doing work on the plane cannot read a maintenance manual, saves money , which it would on paper , then let's do it , stock price up !!!!
If you consider Singapore, Ireland, Israel and the United States as "third world" countries you have obviously not travelled very much.

Return to “WestJet”