Dumping outbase maintenance

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TwinSpinner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dumping outbase maintenance

Post by TwinSpinner »

Heads up to our smaller AME bases. It was recently stated by our wonderful Eastern base manager, that Saretzky has a hardon for getting rid of the smaller maintenance bases, those without a hangar. These jobs would go to vendor contract AMO Maintenance and the Westjet jobs would be lost!
He said the Tier 3 bases will go first, but others are on the table as well....WOW!
How can we protect our jobs????? from this style of management, and after all our hard work as Westjetters we will just be tossed aside.. Not the value system we see on the Westjet posters?
---------- ADS -----------

wrench71
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Dumping outbase maintenance

Post by wrench71 »

Well this has totally wrecked my buzz.. Where is The AME association in all this? What happened to quality and safety? We need representation. I mean real representation, I am getting really tired of this cutthroat micro management!

NGwrench
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NGwrench »

I must admit I have heard these rumblings before regarding the removal of Tech Ops staff from outbases but was under the impression the chatter had ceased. Twinspinner are we sure its all bases without a hanger?? I will be contacting my PACT rep to see if they can shed any light. That said I'd like to think our company would see the value in having its own staff at out stations rather than risk manage or hire adhoc contractors. Axing outbase jobs to save a few dollars versus safety and OTP!! I'm not sure that makes sense. I actually work at an outbase and the thought of relocating or looking for another job after 15 years is a hard pill to swallow.

jetsetfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetsetfly »

You should have a talk with PACT AMEA and get them involved,hopefully its not a true rumour as outbase Maintenance is a backbone of the Tech Ops world.

Outbase Guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Outbase Guy »

Despite what Gregg might want, it's really up to the VP of TechOps to decide whether or not Tier 3 maintenance is cost effective. The party line thus far has been if we overnight an aircraft there, we will have our own maintenance. (Canadian airports). Of course, anything is subject to annual review.

TwinSpinner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TwinSpinner »

Well I guess the big thing is peoples jobs can be subject to annual review.
Westjetters built this airline with there hard work and a belief. And now that it is rolling smooth. We are under annual review as to wether we are needed.
Meanwhile managers are living the good life with company credit cards and other shifty expensing..
I guess a union is inevitable with all airlines eventually..

Triwing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Triwing »

This rumour was confirmed to me also by the eastern line maint manager. He said thy this was being driven down right from the top. He made no bones about the fact that our ceo has a serious chip on his shoulder regarding ame staffing and compensation and outbases in particular. He said the Mom team is doing why they can to minimize the extent and impact but that it wasn't looking good at this point. The big hope is this new maintenance VP. I asked a pact rep and was told thy they weren't at liberty to discuss the issue at this point.. Wtf?? Anyways kudos to Mike for at least giving his guys a heads up so that they can plan there life and mitigate damage if at all possible

jetsetfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetsetfly »

Well so does that mean our AMEA Rep whose from YYJ will also be letting go? I dont know how they will absorb all other AME'S out of this outstations into major bases are we potentially looking at seniority here low Number AME'S getting the Layoffs? This is just an Invitation for Union to come into Westjet.

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 13820 »

Despite what Gregg might want, it's really up to the VP of TechOps to decide whether or not Tier 3 maintenance is cost effective.
If you say so.
I'm sure Gregg will have that as his first job, if agreeing with Gregg wasn't the reason he got hired.

Outbase Guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Outbase Guy »

It's been on every VP's to do list for years. Fortunately, common sense has prevailed and we continue to provide the guest experience at small bases that is standard at large ones. It is my sincere hope that tradition continues. I know it has been a burr under Gregg's saddle for years and most of us know why that seed was planted. Let's just hope that our new VP and the MOM team can put this to rest (again).

TwinSpinner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TwinSpinner »

"Hoping" and "pact" and "prayer " are all about being led like sheep.. We don't even have a chance with PACT, they are a joke. We don t even have seniority, basically the company can toss us any day they want, and that is a true fact!
Again this is why most airlines have unions..!
Wake up everyone! We need representation or our jobs are at risk every time a new manager has the same old ideas.. ( cut manpower) ( cut overtime) same old song..
We are just sheep to this company forget about posters saying "integrity"and all that BS !

wrench71
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wrench71 »

I was never one for union talk. But I am worn out with this company and our eastern base manager. ! After years of hard work especially our tough winters to keep these aircraft running solid, I have towed the rope! Time and time again.!
I want respect, seniority and job security. If it takes a union to get me there..well Iam all in! :prayer:

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

I haven't been at WJ for awhile. MK was a lead in YYZ then, DL was the line manager. I thought they were going to train the WestJet line guys on the Q400 and keep rolling on with the outstation maintenance doing the 737 and Encores stuff too?

Be a shame if they got rid of all of those established bases now...line bases are always the first to go...

Tiny Voices
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tiny Voices »

Gregg and team continue to pay lip service culture, whilest behind the scenes they not so quietly or secretively dismantle the frame work that up until about two years ago, made this company such an awesome, desirable place to work. Have you guys been in touch with the WJPA at all? I'd be surprised if your cause didn't have the backing and support of the vast majority of the pilot group. If they (WJPA) don't express a willingness to help, I'd be happy to drop them a note myself to encourage them to get on board. And I'd be willing to encourage anyone I fly with, tail swap with, pass in the airport or meet in the coffee line up to do the same.

Outbase Guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Outbase Guy »

It is frustrating for sure. I agree that PACT/AMEA will be of little help in this matter. Management has to step up or its game over. Outbase AMEs represent some of the most senior AMEs at WJ, do you think that YYC, YEG, YYZ, YVR will be in the mood to vote for a seniority bumping policy when they only stand to lose? Good luck.

NGwrench
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NGwrench »

Well I have been speaking "unofficially" with a couple PACT members and this threat to outbase employment is legit. All bases without a hangar are in jeopardy according to them. I say unofficially because they have been instructed not to discuss it. This to me is inconceivable!! Who's interests do they represent??!! I am not sure about about a union but I cannot help but feel somewhat exposed here.

Belowthewing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Belowthewing »

I'm also sure the managers have a vested interest in this... hard to have a manager if they have nothing to manage...

Outbase Guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Outbase Guy »

NGwrench wrote:Well I have been speaking "unofficially" with a couple PACT members and this threat to outbase employment is legit. All bases without a hangar are in jeopardy according to them. I say unofficially because they have been instructed not to discuss it. This to me is inconceivable!! Who's interests do they represent??!! I am not sure about about a union but I cannot help but feel somewhat exposed here.

Yeah, I agree. I don't understand this either. The only thing that should be PACT "confidential" are matters dealing with a specific employee. Our AMEA association has lost the point of their existence when they have information that potentially affects the employment of their membership and feel that it's reasonable to not share it.

wrench71
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wrench71 »

Pact are puppets

Outbase Guy
Rank 0
Rank 0