WestJet Pilots and Flight Attendants Race to Unionize

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: WestJet Pilots and Flight Attendants Race to Unionize

Post by Johnny#5 »

True North wrote:
#37 wrote:Nicely done truenorth, AC is eating WestJet lunch, but the employees are just concerned about "1st world problems". Ya don't think there is a connection maybe?

Now that we have your very nice life story any chance you could let us know what union I am driveling for and what constitutes "union drivel"?
Son, you only got one oar in the water.

You still haven't told us who was betrayed or what the betrayal was. Here's what you do; go get a piece of paper and a crayon. Write down on the paper who the people were that were betrayed and how they were betrayed. Then go find a mirror. Hold the piece of paper up to the mirror and look at it and you will see the "party line", aka; union drivel.

I think you lost them when you took the condescending route starting this post with "Son,"

Happy early Father's Day...
---------- ADS -----------

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

#37 wrote:We will continue this discussion if/when you educate yourself on both aviation and WestJet. For starters, talk to T Morgan or any WestJet pilot about where WestJet was "based" prior to just mere weeks before the current unfolding. Then talk to those effected, "betrayed" by a managment that "cares" by their fellow pilots that voted yes. Again , not effected me at all, except in the general, broader sense that throwing select groups under the bus seems to be a theme in aviation. Call me a bleeding heart, liberal, mother Teresa whatever you wish. "Union drivel" isn't even close.
Going to go paddle in circles.
I can't resist.

I believe what Tim used to say was; WestJet has one base, Calgary. Pilots can live anywhere they want but we don't have commuters. Or something like that. I'll ask him next time I see him.

Here's the weird part though and I'm shocked you don't know, Tim's been gone for 9?, 10 years? To the detriment of WestJet in my opinion but that's neither here nor there. Tim is gone and I'm pretty sure the current WestJet bears little resemblance to his vision.

So Tim betrayed someone? Promised them they would never have to leave Calgary? If he did that was 10 years ago and you need to pay more attention because your company has grown in the last 10 years. A lot, and that's a good thing. It means more hiring, more upgrades, now wide bodies and unfortunately bases. And if you didn't know bases were coming until "mere weeks before the current unfolding", whatever that means, you really haven't been paying attention. Like I said before, I don't work there but I heard talk about bases years before they happened and I heard they were a sure thing more than a year before they happened. Where were you?

Now "select groups" have been thrown under the bus. What the hell does that mean? Pilots and flight attendants have to move to a new base?

You really need to grow up.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

Johnny#5 wrote:
True North wrote:
#37 wrote:Nicely done truenorth, AC is eating WestJet lunch, but the employees are just concerned about "1st world problems". Ya don't think there is a connection maybe?

Now that we have your very nice life story any chance you could let us know what union I am driveling for and what constitutes "union drivel"?
Son, you only got one oar in the water.

You still haven't told us who was betrayed or what the betrayal was. Here's what you do; go get a piece of paper and a crayon. Write down on the paper who the people were that were betrayed and how they were betrayed. Then go find a mirror. Hold the piece of paper up to the mirror and look at it and you will see the "party line", aka; union drivel.

I think you lost them when you took the condescending route starting this post with "Son,"

Happy early Father's Day...
Really? I thought I was being pretty condescending the whole time. I'll try harder next time. :D

And a Happy Father's Day to you too.

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

TN, you just need to be a wee bit nicer. I think what he may have meant by betrayal is this.
In February pilots have said to management (even GS), I think the family and I are going to pick up and move to YYC. Are we going to be opening up bases in YYZ? Answer: NO no bases (not even a "possibly we are considering it or anything remotely of the sort"). Said pilot says ok, spends $$$$ moving and gets settled in YYC. A month later, "hey we are opening up bases!". No need to tell you what the reaction is.
Now before you go on and say "Well the company has the right blah blah blah", we as employees have the right to the truth. You can NOT tell me they made a split second decision on opening bases and did not see this coming, or even the possibility of it coming, one month prior.
Now if you can't put yourself in these employees position and see where they are coming from, it will speak volumes of your character and I will realize it's pointless to debate with you on any matter. Like I said, walk a mile. You say you did but I highly doubt this situation has happened to you.

mel gibson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mel gibson »

Hi True North:)

Can you tell me what companies you have worked for

You are mature person who has a lot to offer!

Do you know Mark Hill?

flyingvinnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingvinnie »

I’ve spent WAY more time on this than I intended. I’m done but you guys feel free to argue amongst yourselves.

Yet, you keep wasting more time..... I thought you were done.... :roll: :wink:

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

The following article from the CBC is of interest in that it appears there will be a Certification Vote

also the remarks of Mr. Saretsky would seem to be ill advised as they could be taken as portent of what could happen in the future if WestJet desired to change things in absence of a union.

WestJet pilots file for union certification vote
The group aiming to form a union among WestJet's pilots has filed for a certification vote.
By Tracy Johnson, CBC News Posted: Jun 22, 2015 5:31 PM ET Last Updated: Jun 22, 2015 9:07 PM ET
A group representing WestJet pilots has filed an application to certify as a union. (Darryl Dyck/Canadian Press)

The group aiming to form a union among WestJet's pilots has filed for a certification vote.

Earlier today, the WestJet Professional Pilot`s Association filed an application for certification with the Canadian Industrial Relations Board.

One of the requirements to make this application is a demonstration of more than 40 per cent support for WPPA via membership card count. The WPPA said that it comfortably exceeds this threshold.

In a statement on its website, the WPPA said that once the application is approved, the CIRB will conduct and oversee a secure, secret ballot vote of all eligible WestJet pilots to determine support for creating its own in-house, independent and legally recognized Pilot Association.

"This will be the first time in WestJet's 19-plus-year history that our pilots will have an independent third party run a completely confidential vote."

The WPPA has been working since 2013 to organize pilots into a formal bargaining unit. It had been working against a deadline of June 16 for ​something called automatic certification, in which a union can certify if 50 per cent plus one employee signs a union card.

However, that deadline passed and now federally regulated employees, such as those who work in the airlines, can call for a certification vote once 40 per cent of employees have signed a union card.

That vote is thought to add an extra hurdle to the process.

"Once the secret ballot is called, it's a clear signal to management to start campaigning against certifying," said Frances Middleton, a labour lawyer with Jewitt McLuckie. "You'd want to have a nice buffer of employees who signed cards."

Both WestJet's chief executive, Gregg Saretsky and its founder and chairman Clive Beddoe sent company wide emails earlier this month imploring pilots and flight attendants to think hard before signing union cards.

Saretsky's email said that forming a union would not guarantee anything, including current wages and working conditions.

"We are aware of this development," said Brie Ogle, WestJet's spokepeson in an email. "And we await actual service of the application as required by law."

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

Interesting developments indeed.
Legacy wrote:TN, you just need to be a wee bit nicer.
Yeah, that's probably not going to happen.
I think what he may have meant by betrayal is this.
In February pilots have said to management (even GS), I think the family and I are going to pick up and move to YYC. Are we going to be opening up bases in YYZ? Answer: NO no bases (not even a "possibly we are considering it or anything remotely of the sort"). Said pilot says ok, spends $$$$ moving and gets settled in YYC. A month later, "hey we are opening up bases!". No need to tell you what the reaction is.
Now before you go on and say "Well the company has the right blah blah blah", we as employees have the right to the truth. You can NOT tell me they made a split second decision on opening bases and did not see this coming, or even the possibility of it coming, one month prior.
Now if you can't put yourself in these employees position and see where they are coming from, it will speak volumes of your character and I will realize it's pointless to debate with you on any matter. Like I said, walk a mile. You say you did but I highly doubt this situation has happened to you.
Interesting story, I haven’t heard that version. Unfortunate for sure if it’s true. I’m going to look into the other side of the story but regardless, it doesn’t change anything. I don’t know Gregg Saretsky, never met the man. I’ve seen a few of his interviews on BNN but that’s it. Despite that, I am very comfortable saying I don’t think he’s stupid. I don’t know why he would state something and do a 180 two weeks later but I’m pretty sure he didn’t do it just to piss off some pilots, there has to be a reason. CEOs of publicly traded companies are governed by lots of disclosure and non-disclosure rules. They also have to report to their Board of Directors and they are very reluctant to disclose anything that might give their competitors any kind of advance notice of a change to a business plan.

Now here’s a shocker for you Legacy, I have lived that exact scenario, just the timelines were reversed. Back in the early eighties I was in the midst of my second layoff and got a job with an upstart regional carrier in the States (my wife is an American beauty). During my interview the VP Ops told me there would never be another base for the company. Almost a year to the day later, I was called into the Chief Pilot’s office and given the good news that I was getting my upgrade but unfortunately we were opening a new base and I would have to move for it. They gave me two weeks to make my decision. I had known my upgrade was coming so three months prior we bought our first house, we were still unpacking boxes. Was I mad? Hell yes. Was I betrayed? No. I thought the VP Ops was a dick, especially when I confronted him on it and he said, are you ready for it; “no one is holding a gun to your head. It’s your choice”. Sadly, it’s just business and plans change. My salary and working conditions were not even in the same universe as a senior WJ FO, I was at the poverty line. I was not in a position to take a bypass, we needed the money and my wife couldn’t quit her job and move because she made way more than I did. So I talked to all the important people in my life, made pro/con lists and stared at the ceiling when I should have been sleeping. Then I made a choice to commute, and start sending out resumes again. I commuted for about a year and hated it but at no time during that period did it occur to me that I deserved any kind of compensation or special treatment because I was commuting. That was simply my choice.

It’s funny how life works though. If I hadn’t been faced with that situation I wouldn’t have been sending out resumes so I wouldn’t have gotten my next job, which was my first corporate job and set me on the path to what was for me, my dream job.

Sometimes life deals you a shit hand. You just play it best you can and wait for a better one. Bitching about it does nothing and unions can’t stop companies from making business decisions. As soon as they can, the company is finished.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

flyingvinnie wrote:
I’ve spent WAY more time on this than I intended. I’m done but you guys feel free to argue amongst yourselves.

Yep, got my second wind. Awesome isn't it? :mrgreen:

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

mel gibson wrote:Hi True North:)

Can you tell me what companies you have worked for

You are mature person who has a lot to offer!

Do you know Mark Hill?
Mel,

I'm going to leave most of the companies I worked for anonymous for a couple of reasons. Most were shitholes and if/when I talk about them I will be brutally honest, which means I don't have much good to say and I'd rather not set myself up for a libel suit. You never know who's lurking. 8) I will own up to working for America West for about 10 years which accounts for the bulk of my airline experience. As far as my corporate flying, all I can say is I flew for a bank and then managed a fractional ownership group. I am still under non-disclosure agreements with both those companies so I can only talk about those jobs in generalities. Very rich people are funny that way.

I certainly know who Mark Hill is, I've met him a couple of times but I couldn't say I "know" him.

flyingvinnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingvinnie »

True North wrote:
flyingvinnie wrote:

Yep, got my second wind. Awesome isn't it? :mrgreen:

Nope, not awesome. I always figured you were not a man of your word! :wink:

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Actually True North sounds like the kind of guy I'd like to have a drink with.
Really? I thought I was being pretty condescending the whole time. I'll try harder next time. :D
Brilliant. I may steal that line.

Sounds like some WestJet folks have had it easy for a long time and now have some growing up to do. Not to diminish the difficulties of moving to a new base, but you do realize you're in aviation, right?

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

flyingvinnie wrote:Nope, not awesome. I always figured you were not a man of your word! :wink:
Well you are one fart smeller. You got me pegged in no time at all.

Feel free to ignore my posts, I won't be offended in the slightest.

Even better though, try posting something worthwhile.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

complexintentions wrote:Actually True North sounds like the kind of guy I'd like to have a drink with.
Right back at ya. :drinkers:

Triwing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Triwing »

Moved to new thread

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Ok. Which one?

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.

Return to “WestJet”