Updated logo and 767 preview

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Updated logo and 767 preview

Post by aerobod »

thenoflyzone wrote:MTOW only 172,365 kg, as i suspected, much lower than on AC's newest 767s (186,880 kg).
These birds will have a hard time on any Alberta-China runs.

Even AC's oldest 767, C-FCAB, built in 1988, has a 181,439 kg MTOW.

According to the Boeing ACAP document for the 767, seems like 172,365 kg was the initial weight variant on the 763ER. So most likely QF ordered these lighter birds as they probably didn't need any additional lift back in the day.

Different weight variants:

172,365 kg (WS)
175,540 kg
181,437 kg (AC's oldest 767)
184,612 kg
186,880 kg (AC's newest 767)

Based on the payload/range charts, anything greater than 5000 nm (still air) is a no go for this WS bird. YVR-LGW is 4126 nm. Although the westbound leg could easily reach 4600-4700 nm still air distance factoring in the headwinds.
One thing that has to be factored in to the range is that the original QF 767-338ER wasn't fitted with winglets. Boeing claims the WS winglet retrofit will increase range by over 5% for a given MTOW.
---------- ADS -----------

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

...also one of few non-FADEC 767's in the world....

Meh, it's a great airplane to start widebody work with though. I'm sure lots of people were scratching their heads when WJ was rockin' ol' -200's around when Air Canader was flying around nice new 319s.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

its amazing the red tape a company has to go through to get an airplane flying.....

nysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nysa »

Air Canada has the government in their pocket, they are making this difficult hoping that WestJet will not increase their international widebody expansion and threaten Air Canada's most lucrative market. They don't want WestJet acquiring these 767's that cost a fraction of the new shiny 787 that Air Canada has on order especially with jet fuel staying cheap for longer. This corrupt government and its agencies together with the crony judges always protected Air Canada and made decisions favoring the company that were anti competitive or against its workers for eg. Aveos, lockouts, gulf carriers, arbitration, etc, its all rigged.

canuckwings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canuckwings »

Hi guys! A bit of a newbie here but I see that WS received it's registration for the first 767 as C-FOGJ...

Question: Is the C- designation only granted once a plane completes ETOPS? Basically does this mean the 767s are for sure certified and good to go for Hawaii this winter?

Or can a plane be granted its C- mark without yet completing ETOPS?

Thanks!!!!

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

What you call the C mark has absolutely nothing to do with ETOPS.

CARs 202.03

Aircraft marks are comprised of the nationality mark and the registration mark. The nationality of a Canadian aircraft is currently identified with the letter C. The four letters following the nationality mark are known as the registration mark. The first of those four letters is either F or G and, in the case of ultra-light or advanced ultra-light aeroplanes, the letter I. The nationality and registration mark are separated by a hyphen.

Aircraft registered prior to January 1, 1974 were identified with the Nationality mark CF, followed by three letters for the registration mark. Aircraft manufactured prior to January 1, 1957, are known as "vintage aircraft" and may always retain a CF nationality mark if the owner so desires.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

nysa wrote:Air Canada has the government in their pocket, they are making this difficult hoping that WestJet will not increase their international widebody expansion and threaten Air Canada's most lucrative market. They don't want WestJet acquiring these 767's that cost a fraction of the new shiny 787 that Air Canada has on order especially with jet fuel staying cheap for longer. This corrupt government and its agencies together with the crony judges always protected Air Canada and made decisions favoring the company that were anti competitive or against its workers for eg. Aveos, lockouts, gulf carriers, arbitration, etc, its all rigged.
:lol: :prayer:

Thanks for that. I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time. Actually spewed beer on my keyboard.

According my sources, just the opposite is true. They tell me Transport Canada has been extremely helpful and cooperative. The issues are all paperwork related, complicated by the fact the fact that there are no bilateral agreements between TC and CASA.

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

Basically once WJ Tech Ops got ahold of it they found over 100 snags, which doesn't surprise me. They won't put it into ops till its good and ready. I'm sure it will be a good machine after they have been running it for a few weeks. My experience tells me the first few weeks will be troublesome and they'll probably have AME's going with the machine till they can trust it.

canuckwings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canuckwings »

Longtimer wrote:What you call the C mark has absolutely nothing to do with ETOPS.

CARs 202.03

Aircraft marks are comprised of the nationality mark and the registration mark. The nationality of a Canadian aircraft is currently identified with the letter C. The four letters following the nationality mark are known as the registration mark. The first of those four letters is either F or G and, in the case of ultra-light or advanced ultra-light aeroplanes, the letter I. The nationality and registration mark are separated by a hyphen.

Aircraft registered prior to January 1, 1974 were identified with the Nationality mark CF, followed by three letters for the registration mark. Aircraft manufactured prior to January 1, 1957, are known as "vintage aircraft" and may always retain a CF nationality mark if the owner so desires.
Got it, thanks :)

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

canuckwings wrote:
Longtimer wrote:What you call the C mark has absolutely nothing to do with ETOPS.

CARs 202.03

Got it, thanks :)
most times you'll see marks similar to these photos for ETOPS certified planes.
southwest-etops-warrior-one-fll-1024-620x413.jpg
southwest-etops-warrior-one-fll-1024-620x413.jpg (64.4 KiB) Viewed 5522 times
etops-95d2d6ef-7903-4462-9867-61c66e08f014.jpg
etops-95d2d6ef-7903-4462-9867-61c66e08f014.jpg (128.97 KiB) Viewed 5522 times

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

Yawn..

So any real news when this thing is going flying?

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

If news is bad then watch for a very quiet announcement late on a Friday.
I suspect since it has yet to rack up any operating hours the ETOPS certification will not be granted until sometime in Jan(Y>A>G)

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

flight tracker now showing some action today for the aircraft:
When you go to the site, click on the small aircraft symbol at the bottom right.
http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airpl ... j/#7b92fbb
The video shows what could be "swinging the compass".... or is that too old fashioned?

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

looks like today might be the day! WS 8977 YYC-YYZ 1510 ETD

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA8977

dazednconfused
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dazednconfused »

taxiing out right now

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Are QF pilots doing the line Indoc or boeing supplied?

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

leftoftrack wrote:Are QF pilots doing the line Indoc or boeing supplied?
Boeing supplied pilots for the next 2 weeks or so.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

The first widebody revenue flight for WS is now on it's way!:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFO ... /CYYZ/CYYC

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

aerobod wrote:The first widebody revenue flight for WS is now on it's way!:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFO ... /CYYZ/CYYC
And only 1/2hr shown behind sked. :) Not too bad for a first of.

Looks like they used warp7 and made up the time. Would not want to be late for the photo op. :D

Last edited by Longtimer on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

leftoftrack wrote:Are QF pilots doing the line Indoc or boeing supplied?
QF doesn't really have anything to do with the aircraft anymore....

Return to “WestJet”