Updated logo and 767 preview

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Updated logo and 767 preview

Post by culver10 »

Here is the new maple leaf logo and an animation of what the 67's are supposed to look like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbueAwUwYnQ
---------- ADS -----------

WeGonRotate
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Updated logo and 767 preview

Post by WeGonRotate »

I like it, however, how come there's no AVOD?

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

WeGonRotate wrote:I like it, however, how come there's no AVOD?
The 4 767s will have BYOD streaming video and Internet access via satellite, connecting to guests via 6 wireless access points in the cabin. This will be available for the start of Hawaii operations in Dec. For those without a suitable personal device (iOS 8.0+ plus WestJet App on iPhone or iPad, Windows with current IE, Firefox or Chrome, Current Mac OSX with Safari, or Android 4.1+ plus WestJet App on most current Android devices), Toshiba 8" devices with Windows 8.1 and a custom stand will be available for rental for a fee comparable to the current Samsung 7" rental tablets. The aircraft server will have plenty of recent movies and TV shows (hundreds of hours initially), together with 3 streaming video news channels, weather and destination info, flight info and other text information that is updated continuously.

Seat back AVOD is nice to have, but adds about 1000kg to a 767, has technology that is generally out of date as soon as it is installed and costs triple the price of a good BYOD streaming with Internet system.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

aerobod wrote:
WeGonRotate wrote:I like it, however, how come there's no AVOD?
The 4 767s will have BYOD streaming video and Internet access via satellite, connecting to guests via 6 wireless access points in the cabin. This will be available for the start of Hawaii operations in Dec. For those without a suitable personal device (iOS 8.0+ plus WestJet App on iPhone or iPad, Windows with current IE, Firefox or Chrome, Current Mac OSX with Safari, or Android 4.1+ plus WestJet App on most current Android devices), Toshiba 8" devices with Windows 8.1 and a custom stand will be available for rental for a fee comparable to the current Samsung 7" rental tablets. The aircraft server will have plenty of recent movies and TV shows (hundreds of hours initially), together with 3 streaming video news channels, weather and destination info, flight info and other text information that is updated continuously.

Seat back AVOD is nice to have, but adds about 1000kg to a 767, has technology that is generally out of date as soon as it is installed and costs triple the price of a good BYOD streaming with Internet system.
BYOD! Nice I like that. It is true though, why buy and install something that will be obsolete in a few years or less. 2000+lbs. is a lot of weight to be flying needlessly around. I think WestJet might have gotten it right after learning their lesson with the LiveTV system.

Word on the street is the first B767 should arrive on July 24th.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Hey guys what's BOYD and AVOD? Never heard of those.

Thanks! 8)

duramaxguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by duramaxguy »

Bring your own device? As in bring your own iPad/tablet to hook onto wifi.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Thanks 8)

darkchild
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by darkchild »

Looks nice, how many crew to make the upgrade?

Lowjack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lowjack »

Picture taken in VCV:

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

any idea on where the aircraft they are taking flew previously and their age etc?

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

CAL wrote:any idea on where the aircraft they are taking flew previously and their age etc?
They previously flew for Qantas. Built in 1991.

http://worldairlinenews.com/2015/03/04/ ... -and-maui/

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Is there at least going to be some kind of seat-back power?

I don't have a fancy tablet but I certainly wouldn't expect it to last a movie-or-two to the UK/wherever...especially after fiddling with it on terminal WiFi for a couple hours prior to the flight.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

plhought wrote:Is there at least going to be some kind of seat-back power?

I don't have a fancy tablet but I certainly wouldn't expect it to last a movie-or-two to the UK/wherever...especially after fiddling with it on terminal WiFi for a couple hours prior to the flight.
Every economy seat will have USB 5V power suitable for tablets and smartphones, every Plus seat will have 110V power.

All IFEC will be the same Internet, streaming video and news TV channels as on the 737s. BTW, the IFEC system is live as of today on tail 818 (737-800), 10 more aircraft will be live with the new system in the next week or so.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

I hope its not a hangar queen (s)....
just out of curiosity what is the age of most of Air Canadas old buses and 767's?

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

CAL wrote:I hope its not a hangar queen (s)....
just out of curiosity what is the age of most of Air Canadas old buses and 767's?
You can find the info here. Just input owner and aircraft type and then click on the mark of those you are interested in.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/c ... hSimp.aspx

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

CAL wrote:I hope its not a hangar queen (s)....
These are low cycle 767s that Qantas maintained meticulously, they should be as reliable as any of the 767s currently in service, going by their history.

alevik123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alevik123 »

The average ages of the 767 fleets are (according to Planespotters.net data):

Westjet 23.1 years
AC mainline 24.2 years
Rouge 16.9 years

The AC mainline 767's will eventually be replaced by the 787's, with the younger 767's going to Rouge it seems. The averages above include 2 AC mainline 767's that are about 16 years old that perhaps are also destined for Rouge.

Age is only one indicator of course, and as mentioned the Qantas aircraft were probably as well taken care of as any 767's around.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

How long have the aircraft been sitting?

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

flyer 1492 wrote:How long have the aircraft been sitting?
They landed in VCV last year and went into the refurbishment program with Boeing for WestJet within weeks. We knew which airframes from Qantas were going to VCV, while they were still in service, so picked the four with the most consistent configuration.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

cheers guys

Return to “WestJet”