WPPA visits ALPA

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

WPPA visits ALPA

Post by bobcaygeon »

WPPA visits Herndon.

Will CBASS get his old ALPA # back?

http://www.wppa.ca/
---------- ADS -----------

beaverguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: WPPA visits ALPA

Post by beaverguy »

I sure hope he does. As a 15+ year "westjetter" I am tired of not having a more professional group representing the pilots. I've grown tired of the empty promises.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

One problem among other things is ALPA is Very expensive.

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

fish4life wrote:One problem among other things is ALPA is Very expensive.
The dues at ALPA would be peanuts on a Westjet salary ($350,000/year).

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I think it's around 2% of your salary so $7000 for that apparentl salary hardly peanuts.

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

fish4life wrote:I think it's around 2% of your salary so $7000 for that apparentl salary hardly peanuts.
thats almost $20/day. Lets put another spin on this. Dear WestJetters. For just $20 a day you could feed an Encore pilots family with the finest hot dogs, KD and peanuts. Please say no to ALPA and donate to your fellow owners' families today.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

There would be a deduction of 1.9% of the pilots wages. On 350,000.00 it would work out to be 6,650/year. Just remember, you can deduct most of it on your income tax.

Flyer

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

beaverguy wrote:I sure hope he does. As a 15+ year "westjetter" I am tired of not having a more professional group representing the pilots. I've grown tired of the empty promises.
I'm curious what those empty promises are, and how will ALPA fulfill them for you?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

beaverguy wrote:I sure hope he does. As a 15+ year "westjetter" I am tired of not having a more professional group representing the pilots. I've grown tired of the empty promises.
Then you'll tire of ALPA really fast.

Jazz had great ALPA reps, but I'm not a big fan of sending close to 2% of my salary state side for the big wigs to grease the wheels and hob-nob with union friendly politicians.

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

350k, that's funny. Try 150k so about 2700 a year

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Legacy wrote:350k, that's funny. Try 150k so about 2700 a year
Sorry, my bad. It wasn't $350,000 but $315,000. According to reports on the CBC anyway.

beaverguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by beaverguy »

True North wrote:
I'm curious what those empty promises are, and how will ALPA fulfill them for you?

I'm not going to get into all of it on a public forum. However, approximately 100 days have passed since "the vote" and the only information put out by the current association is a survey on the golf tournament. Time to leave the grad council behind. I share this opinion with more than a few.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

beaverguy wrote: I'm not going to get into all of it on a public forum. However, approximately 100 days have passed since "the vote" and the only information put out by the current association is a survey on the golf tournament. Time to leave the grad council behind. I share this opinion with more than a few.
You are terribly miss-informed. If you honestly believe that no progress has been accomplished then you have either been on holidays for a 100 days or you have difficulty operating a keyboard and mouse. For your enlightenment - the matter is being discussed on our Pilot association forum.

I encourage all to focus their arguments through the aformentioned site - nothing will get accomplished on here. (No offence AVCANADA - this is a complex internal matter.)

JJJ

Last edited by jjj on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

For the high income earners with a last dollar earned marginal tax rate of 40-49% (depending on your province of tax residence) you get a lot of the deducted dues back.

On the ground, ALPA representation is only as good as the local volunteers that decide to fill the plethora of positions that account for the comprehensive structure that is necessary in order to offer effective representation. ALPA is one of the most locally self determining pilot union options available in Canada.

In terms of professional support, ALPA is second to none. Much like an insurance policy, you do not pay much attention to it until you really need it. Technical, legal medical, etc. It is all there.

There is a movement afoot to possibly re-establish a Canadian version of ALPA tied to a strong services agreement with the larger US organization. Perhaps that will assuage the concerns of those that have a problem with a US flag flying over the union office.

AvExpress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AvExpress »

beaverguy wrote:
True North wrote:

I'm not going to get into all of it on a public forum. However, approximately 100 days have passed since "the vote" and the only information put out by the current association is a survey on the golf tournament. Time to leave the grad council behind. I share this opinion with more than a few.
Whether it's WPPA or ALPA, any form of representation is as good/bad as those representing. And I wouldn't be to surprised if the current WPPA fills most of the ALPA (if there were to be one) rep spots. So in large nothing will really change, this could be good or bad depending on how the majority really feel about the current WPPA. But don't expect a union like ALPA will change things over night, it's all up to you as the pilots and that could really be done as is in-house IMO.

RustyDeuce
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RustyDeuce »

Disappointing.

The divide is only going to get larger.

Us vs. Them.

:prayer: :prayer:

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

beaver guy wrote:I'm not going to get into all of it on a public forum. However, approximately 100 days have passed since "the vote" and the only information put out by the current association is a survey on the golf tournament. Time to leave the grad council behind. I share this opinion with more than a few.
Typical.

You stated on this public forum the you are "tired of the empty promises". What are they? Put up or shut up or you are just the stereotypical union propagandist, willing to stir the pot but not prepared to back it up - which means no credibilty.

After forty years of participating in and observing the aviation industry I've learned that without fail, the rabid pro-unionists are always either the weak link - the guys who failed a ride or were bypassed for an upgrade because of their marginal abilities - and cry conspiracy at every turn. Or they are the self interest groups. The guys who live in East Rubberboot and commute to work. Then the company has the audacity to open a new base and actually expect people to live there. These guys start demanding concessions from the company to make it easier to commute. Doesn't matter if it costs the company, it's all about them.

Which one are you beaver guy?

beaverguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by beaverguy »

jjj wrote:
beaverguy wrote: I'm not going to get into all of it on a public forum. However, approximately 100 days have passed since "the vote" and the only information put out by the current association is a survey on the golf tournament. Time to leave the grad council behind. I share this opinion with more than a few.
You are terribly miss-informed. If you honestly believe that no progress has been accomplished then you have either been on holidays for a 100 days or you have difficulty operating a keyboard and mouse. For your enlightenment - the matter is being discussed on our Pilot association forum.

I encourage all to focus their arguments through the aformentioned site - nothing will get accomplished on here. (No offence AVCANADA - this is a complex internal matter.)

JJJ

Nope, not misinformed whatsoever. Just read about all the fatigue issues and what is being done about it. Not too much.

beaverguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by beaverguy »

True North wrote:
beaver guy wrote:I'm not going to get into all of it on a public forum. However, approximately 100 days have passed since "the vote" and the only information put out by the current association is a survey on the golf tournament. Time to leave the grad council behind. I share this opinion with more than a few.
Typical.

You stated on this public forum the you are "tired of the empty promises". What are they? Put up or shut up or you are just the stereotypical union propagandist, willing to stir the pot but not prepared to back it up - which means no credibilty.

After forty years of participating in and observing the aviation industry I've learned that without fail, the rabid pro-unionists are always either the weak link - the guys who failed a ride or were bypassed for an upgrade because of their marginal abilities - and cry conspiracy at every turn. Or they are the self interest groups. The guys who live in East Rubberboot and commute to work. Then the company has the audacity to open a new base and actually expect people to live there. These guys start demanding concessions from the company to make it easier to commute. Doesn't matter if it costs the company, it's all about them.

Which one are you beaver guy?

I am none of the above. I've watched this company go downhill with our latest CEO. It's all about $$ now. The shareholder is first. Remember when we looked after employees first, the guest second and the shareholder third? Maybe you haven't been around that long? As for the opening of bases and forcing people to move/commute, that's a whole other can of worms they opened. But I guess you live where your base is. Doesn't affect you so suck it up? Sound about right? We need to start helping each other and working together.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

beaverguy wrote:I am none of the above. I've watched this company go downhill with our latest CEO. It's all about $$ now. The shareholder is first. Remember when we looked after employees first, the guest second and the shareholder third? Maybe you haven't been around that long? As for the opening of bases and forcing people to move/commute, that's a whole other can of worms they opened. But I guess you live where your base is. Doesn't affect you so suck it up? Sound about right? We need to start helping each other and working together.
I don't work there. Never have. I've been sitting here on the sidelines listening to you guys whine and embarrass yourselves for the last few years. So your CEO is all about $$ is he? You do realize that in his world that means costs and competitive pressures? You're not a mom and pop operation anymore. Get over it.

"But I guess you live where your base is. Doesn't affect you so suck it up? Sound about right?" That is a very telling statement. Sounds like you think people shouldn't have to live at their base and opening new bases shouldn't affect anyone. Sound about right?

You still haven't told us about all the broken promises.

If you seriously think ALPA is going to swoop in and affect your life in any way, other than making you 2% poorer, you're delusional.

Return to “WestJet”