WS 683 pilot no show?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3115
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

WS 683 pilot no show?

#1 Post by co-joe » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:27 pm

My grandmother flew in to YYC friday, and leaving YYZ had a 2 hour delay where they boarded and then were de planed, and were told that the pilot didn't show up? Not judging, stuff happens, hope nothing bad happened to them. Benefit of the doubt. But shouldn't the airline offer some kind of apology to the people? Voucher, free hot chocolate maybe?

Weird that after that, on a 4+ hour flight, no food service at all. My grandma is too polite to complain to anyone about anything, but this seems weird to me.

She also said that in terminal 3 it's a 40 minute walk to the gate from the WS check in. She's 84, but keeps up to me walking no problem, so that seems excessive. Again, not judging, but do you offer a club car or some form of powered transport? She's much to polite to ask for any special treatment, so would it not be prudent to offer? Even if there were a cost...
---------- ADS -----------

leftoftrack
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#2 Post by leftoftrack » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Offers like that can be tricky. Some may be offended by that where others would like the service. WS definitely does offer the folks wagon (golf cart). If you know her travel plans and advise them of when she's travelling they will have a cart waiting. As far as the voucher goes, we live in the time of the hybrid lcc 4 hr delay isn't ideal. Would $30 make it better doubt it, I imagine there would be as many complaints.
---------- ADS -----------

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:27 am

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#3 Post by PositiveRate27 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:23 pm

leftoftrack wrote:Offers like that can be tricky. Some may be offended by that where others would like the service. WS definitely does offer the folks wagon (golf cart). If you know her travel plans and advise them of when she's travelling they will have a cart waiting. As far as the voucher goes, we live in the time of the hybrid lcc 4 hr delay isn't ideal. Would $30 make it better doubt it, I imagine there would be as many complaints.
I was on an AC flight that went mechanical as we were lining up and had to return to the gate. We did a fin swap, all in all, an 1hr 45 delay. In that time a customer service manager arrived at the gate, handed out food and beverages and personally apologised to everyone he interacted with. I think the notion that westjet service trumps all in canada is a bit of a myth.
---------- ADS -----------

Censo
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:50 pm

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#4 Post by Censo » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:48 pm

To my knowledge Westjet does not drive the club carts in Terminal 3 at Pearson, a contracted company does that. In terms of vouchers,the rule is if the flight is canceled due to a controllable situation such as a mechanical situation etc and (this does not include weather as it is uncontrollable obviously) the company must give out vouchers and/or hotel accommodations.
---------- ADS -----------

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:27 am

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#5 Post by PositiveRate27 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:51 pm

Censo wrote:To my knowledge Westjet does not drive the club carts in Terminal 3 at Pearson, a contracted company does that. In terms of vouchers,the rule is if the flight is canceled due to a controllable situation such as a mechanical situation etc and (this does not include weather as it is uncontrollable obviously) the company must give out vouchers and/or hotel accommodations.
Wouldn't an "owner" not showing up to fly be classified as controllable?
---------- ADS -----------

Censo
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:50 pm

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#6 Post by Censo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:14 am

PositiveRate27 wrote:
Censo wrote:To my knowledge Westjet does not drive the club carts in Terminal 3 at Pearson, a contracted company does that. In terms of vouchers,the rule is if the flight is canceled due to a controllable situation such as a mechanical situation etc and (this does not include weather as it is uncontrollable obviously) the company must give out vouchers and/or hotel accommodations.
Wouldn't an "owner" not showing up to fly be classified as controllable?
. Absolutely, however since the flight wasn't cancelled no vouchers were given.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: CYYC

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#7 Post by .80@410 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:29 am

Hello!

If the flight was departing from the new gates ( A 1-7?) it is a solid walk ( 7-8 mins for me at a good clip and long strides ) with 2 long moving escalators as well as 2 more at each end. If your grandma
Had been listed for a WC then there absolutely would have been one from security to the gate and if she was listed and it didn't happen that's our fault.

On flights over 2.5? Hours there is food served ( mostly for purchase ) however if the tail got swapped it's possible they left for operational reasons before the new tail got stocked .

Regardless , please email WJ on her behalf, and explain your concerns and I'm sure some sort of future flight consideration would be applied.

My apologies.
---------- ADS -----------
Just callin it like it is.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:27 am

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#8 Post by PositiveRate27 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:07 am

Censo wrote:
PositiveRate27 wrote:
Censo wrote:To my knowledge Westjet does not drive the club carts in Terminal 3 at Pearson, a contracted company does that. In terms of vouchers,the rule is if the flight is canceled due to a controllable situation such as a mechanical situation etc and (this does not include weather as it is uncontrollable obviously) the company must give out vouchers and/or hotel accommodations.
Wouldn't an "owner" not showing up to fly be classified as controllable?
. Absolutely, however since the flight wasn't cancelled no vouchers were given.
Ah, I see. I missed the canceled part.
---------- ADS -----------

av8ts
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 521
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#9 Post by av8ts » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:14 am

I'm going to disagree with the statement that flights canceled due to weather as uncontrollable. Many times I have seen a weather "event" where some flights operate and some don't. Sometimes it's due to "fair weather" pilots and other times its due to crew/aircraft scheduling issues. Some airlines have their shit together more when it comes to irrops than others. Many times I've seen flights that didn't operate and the agents will throw out the "weather" as the fault when I know it wasn't. I've seen this with both AC and WJ
---------- ADS -----------

The Raven
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 390
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:37 pm

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#10 Post by The Raven » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:48 am

I remember the days when Westjet would supply pizza to their passengers that were inconvenienced due to IRROPS....but then again, that was only when the media was around.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3115
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#11 Post by co-joe » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:51 pm

.80@410 wrote:Hello!

If the flight was departing from the new gates ( A 1-7?) it is a solid walk ( 7-8 mins for me at a good clip and long strides ) with 2 long moving escalators as well as 2 more at each end. If your grandma
Had been listed for a WC then there absolutely would have been one from security to the gate and if she was listed and it didn't happen that's our fault.

On flights over 2.5? Hours there is food served ( mostly for purchase ) however if the tail got swapped it's possible they left for operational reasons before the new tail got stocked .

Regardless , please email WJ on her behalf, and explain your concerns and I'm sure some sort of future flight consideration would be applied.

My apologies.
I don't know what gate the departure was from, and I can't think of a time that I used WS out of YYZ. Is it really that far in terminal 3? I will send a note about her return as well and maybe I can get her on a golf cart. Grandpa wasn't able to travel for years but now that he's gone I'd like her to enjoy travelling and come see us more often you know?

If it wouldn't be weird I was considering emailing WS on her behalf, but I'm not sure they'd discuss anything with me since my name wasn't on the ticket. She's just not the type of person to openly complain about anything. We went to Nicks for brunch and she didn't even ask for the seniors discount. She'd pay full price and then say something to us later. Fortunately my mom is new to being a senior and is all over that discount stuff. Hey hey senior here! lol
---------- ADS -----------

mikeecho
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:31 am

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#12 Post by mikeecho » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:24 pm

The Raven wrote:I remember the days when Westjet would supply pizza to their passengers that were inconvenienced due to IRROPS....but then again, that was only when the media was around.
HACCP people don't allow this practice anymore.
---------- ADS -----------

leftoftrack
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#13 Post by leftoftrack » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:50 am

HACCP?
---------- ADS -----------

peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: Mississauga

Re: WS 683 pilot no show?

#14 Post by peeelot » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:14 am

---------- ADS -----------

Post Reply

Return to “WestJet”