WestJet flights to London prompting a wave of complaints

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: WestJet flights to London prompting a wave of complaints

Post by Rotten Apple #1 »

TheStig wrote:Still blaming some mid-western MRO for all their problems.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/w ... -1.3788113
Hmmm. I wonder if a more accurate summation of Saretsky's words would be that he blamed "the early problems" on the MRO, vice "all" of the problems as you put it, TheStig.
---------- ADS -----------

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

You can bet there will be some significant compansation in form of discounts or early slots for 787's.http://www.bnn.ca/video/westjet-ceo-bla ... ute~957149

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Rotten Apple #1 wrote:

Hmmm. I wonder if a more accurate summation of Saretsky's words would be that he blamed "the early problems" on the MRO, vice "all" of the problems as you put it, TheStig.
That might be a more accurate summary, but it's interesting to note that the CEO views the issues as problems that are now behind the operation, that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess we can't expect him to proclaim that the 767's have been a failure. Declaring himself the architect of a poorly conceived and executed seismic shift in the airlines business model. Just keep telling everyone what a success it's been and hinting to the pilots that 787's are coming!

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

TheStig, has Saretsky hinted to the pilots that 787's are coming?

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

brooks wrote:You can bet there will be some significant compansation in form of discounts or early slots for 787's.http://www.bnn.ca/video/westjet-ceo-bla ... ute~957149

Possible subject material for this years edition of WJs Christmas Miracle Video.

Gravity always wins
atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

TheStig wrote:
Rotten Apple #1 wrote:

That might be a more accurate summary, but it's interesting to note that the CEO views the issues as problems that are now behind the operation, that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess we can't expect him to proclaim that the 767's have been a failure. Declaring himself the architect of a poorly conceived and executed seismic shift in the airlines business model. Just keep telling everyone what a success it's been and hinting to the pilots that 787's are coming!

Not of course at the cost of pilot salary increases. That might shut down the whole WB operation.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Rotten Apple #1 wrote:TheStig, has Saretsky hinted to the pilots that 787's are coming?
Do you think Westjet is look at dusting off more 767's from the desert? (Honest question).

Gregg Saretsky

That’s a great question, we’re not sure why there would be objections, but I will tell you that there is a view among the pilots that they deals that they struck for the first four aircraft would not be reflective of what they would expect would be the deal for something that is anything other than an experiment.

So we’re in this waltz now around what might that look like, if it’s no longer an experiment than it has to continue to provide economics that make it in our best interest to expand that fleet. So if we can’t come the terms on what those economic need to look like than there will be no expansion of that fleet, it’s simple at that. And I’m hoping that we’ll get to an engagements that results in a good answer for all WestJet including our pilots.

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-avia ... -long-haul

Airline executives emphasize that the widebodies are a low-cost experiment. Unlike the Q400s, which were bought new, WestJet never seriously considered placing an order for new widebodies. But it is already having discussions with Airbus and Boeing about future orders. If WestJet can achieve 12% return on capital in the first two years, it likely will proceed with a new aircraft order. And executives are thinking big.

“With a network and partnerships like we have, why couldn’t we have 30 or 40 [widebodies]?” CEO Gregg Saretsky tells Aviation Week. “That’s ultimately where I think it goes. And widebodies can fly 11 hr. We could do Asia. We could do Latin America. We could do Middle East. We could do Europe. It puts all geography into play.”

Justanotherpilot2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Justanotherpilot2 »

So as I understand it there are two options? 1) Westjet pilots take the low wages and bring the industry further down to have a chance at expanding into more widebodies. or 2) they end this disaster of an expirement, keep doing what they do best, and leave the standard of wages alone. Hopefully they choose option 1 since so many WJ pilots are applying at AC anyways for the better pay.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

This past weekend:

WestJet is apologizing to about 260 passengers after a flight from Toronto to London was cancelled twice this weekend due to maintenance problems.

The apology comes days after WestJet's CEO Gregg Saretsky said the airline's expansion to Europe is "among the most successful things we've done," despite mechanical problems and passenger complaints.

Lauren Stewart, spokesperson for WestJet, said in an email early Sunday that Flight 3 from Pearson International Airport to Gatwick Airport was cancelled on Friday due to a "non-scheduled maintenance issue." It was cancelled again on Saturday due to "completion of the maintenance" but is expected to proceed on Sunday night.

Galaxy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Galaxy »

When's Saretksy stepping down or being removed? I'd imagine it has to be soon.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Galaxy wrote:When's Saretksy stepping down or being removed? I'd imagine it has to be soon.
Brooks precious leader!!!!! Say it ain't so. Who will tell him what to think?? What to do??

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

TheStig wrote:
Rotten Apple #1 wrote:TheStig, has Saretsky hinted to the pilots that 787's are coming?
Do you think Westjet is look at dusting off more 767's from the desert? (Honest question).

Gregg Saretsky

That’s a great question, we’re not sure why there would be objections, but I will tell you that there is a view among the pilots that they deals that they struck for the first four aircraft would not be reflective of what they would expect would be the deal for something that is anything other than an experiment.

So we’re in this waltz now around what might that look like, if it’s no longer an experiment than it has to continue to provide economics that make it in our best interest to expand that fleet. So if we can’t come the terms on what those economic need to look like than there will be no expansion of that fleet, it’s simple at that. And I’m hoping that we’ll get to an engagements that results in a good answer for all WestJet including our pilots.

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-avia ... -long-haul

Airline executives emphasize that the widebodies are a low-cost experiment. Unlike the Q400s, which were bought new, WestJet never seriously considered placing an order for new widebodies. But it is already having discussions with Airbus and Boeing about future orders. If WestJet can achieve 12% return on capital in the first two years, it likely will proceed with a new aircraft order. And executives are thinking big.

“With a network and partnerships like we have, why couldn’t we have 30 or 40 [widebodies]?” CEO Gregg Saretsky tells Aviation Week. “That’s ultimately where I think it goes. And widebodies can fly 11 hr. We could do Asia. We could do Latin America. We could do Middle East. We could do Europe. It puts all geography into play.”

Hi Stig. I don't know what is planned in the event the pilots and the company can agree on the terms for more wide-bodies. I was just curious if Saretsky had hinted specifically at 787's (meaning I might have missed or forgotten he had done so). I guess they would obviously be under consideration. Cheers.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Who cares if he steps down. GS has so far survived the Lewis garbage. I wouldn't call the 767 "experiment" a failure. I agree that the MRO did a shitty job and Boeing should cover those costs related to the failure of the MRO to do the job they were tasks to do. I mean really... delivered with over 200 snags. It does appear CBC is trying to make this out to be a bigger deal than it actually is. I lost count of the amount of stories they have done on WJ's London problems.

Air Transat last quarter had a 9% rise in ridership but that still translated into a $61 million dollar net loss. If WJ can get through this experiment and still turn a profit every quarter this year, then I would call it a success. The big question is what is coming next? An announcement I think is right around the corner. I am sure with a 787 (or whatever) announcement it put the confidence back into this next growth potential for WJ.

chaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chaster »

[quote="brooks"]Who cares if he steps down. GS has so far survived the Lewis garbage. I wouldn't call the 767 "experiment" a failure. I agree that the MRO did a shitty job and Boeing should cover those costs related to the failure of the MRO to do the job they were tasks to do. I mean really... delivered with over 200 snags. It does appear CBC is trying to make this out to be a bigger deal than it actually is. I lost count of the amount of stories they have done on WJ's London problems.

Air Transat last quarter had a 9% rise in ridership but that still translated into a $61 million dollar net loss. If WJ can get through this experiment and still turn a profit every quarter this year, then I would call it a success. The big question is what is coming next? An announcement I think is right around the corner. I am sure with a 787 (or whatever) announcement it put the confidence back into this next growth potential for WJ.[/

chaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chaster »

chaster wrote:
brooks wrote:Who cares if he steps down. GS has so far survived the Lewis garbage. I wouldn't call the 767 "experiment" a failure. I agree that the MRO did a shitty job and Boeing should cover those costs related to the failure of the MRO to do the job they were tasks to do. I mean really... delivered with over 200 snags. It does appear CBC is trying to make this out to be a bigger deal than it actually is. I lost count of the amount of stories they have done on WJ's London problems.

Air Transat last quarter had a 9% rise in ridership but that still translated into a $61 million dollar net loss. If WJ can get through this experiment and still turn a profit every quarter this year, then I would call it a success. The big question is what is coming next? An announcement I think is right around the corner. I am sure with a 787 (or whatever) announcement it put the confidence back into this next growth potential for WJ.[/
61 Million? Can you post those numbers? I show a 15 Million net profit last quarter! No? C

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Maxpwr »

Last edited by Maxpwr on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chaster »

Maxpwr wrote:Revenues of $663.6 million, compared with $704.8 million in 2015.
Adjusted operating income1 of $16.0 million, compared with $44.8 million in 2015.
Adjusted net income3 of $2.5 million, compared with $26.9 million in 2015.
From continuing operations for the nine-month period:
Revenues of $2.3 billion, compared with $2.3 billion in 2015.
Adjusted operating LOSS of $20.7 million, compared with adjusted operating income1 of $29.8 million in 2015.
Adjusted net LOSS of $39.7 million, compared with adjusted net income3 of $1.3 million in 2015.

There ya go. Transat is a money killer.
Oh it was 16 Million net last Quarter! Ok TKS Maxpwr!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

failure of the MRO to do the job
What was expected?

The MRO did the heavy check and released the planes. I'm sure that was likely the deal...

If not when your pilots did the acceptance flights they should have turned around and taken it back... I mean these are aircraft pulled out of the desert - you aren't going to get some beauty pristine machine no matter what.

43S/172E
Rank 3
Rank 3

WestJet CEO calls London flights a success, despite problems

Post by 43S/172E »

This might cause blowback

'From Day 1 we've been full,' says airline's chief executive about flights to London Gatwick
By Kyle Bakx, CBC News Posted: Sep 30, 2016 9:00 AM ET Last Updated: Sep 30, 2016 9:00 AM ET

WestJet's CEO proclaimed the airline's expansion to Europe as one of the best decisions made in its 20-year history, despite mechanical problems and passenger complaints.
In the past, chief executive officer Gregg Saretsky had called the route to London a "hobbled operation," but he did not acknowledge any problems in a speech on Thursday at the International Pipeline Conference in Calgary.
"It's been among the most successful things we've done," he said. "From Day 1 we've been full."
WestJet bought four wide-body aircraft to start flying across the Atlantic about a year ago. On average, the planes are 24 years old and had several mechanical issues, leading to flight delays and cancellations.
'I'd like to say we understand travellers very well'- Greg Saretsky, WestJet CEO
Last week, Saretsky blamed the early problems on the repair company hired by Boeing to fix the planes.
Earlier this month, an Edmonton-bound WestJet flight from London was diverted to Iceland because of engine problems. Passengers heard a loud bang a few hours after takeoff.
Each cancelled flight, or flight delayed more than four hours, costs the airline approximately $225,000 in compensation to passengers, if the plane is full.
Saretsky said the airline acquired the wide-body aircraft so the company can reach new markets.
WestJet celebrates its first flight from Vancouver to London. The route has been plagued with difficulties, but Saretsky says, 'It's been among the most successful things we've done.' (Darryl Wilson/Phillipine Flight network)
"Many industry analysts said it was the stupidest thing they had ever seen, because WestJet's history for 20 years was that we built on the beautiful simplicity of having a single fleet of 737s, why would we make it complicated by adding 767s?" Saretsky said.
WestJet broke the mould by charging for meals and for all checked bags on international flights.
"Many laughed at WestJet saying, 'They don't really understand long-haul travel, because every other international airline does a free meal.' I'd like to say we understand travellers very well, because no one else sells London for $299," Saretsky said.
Fewer than five per cent of the flights to London have been cancelled, WestJet has previously said.

Alberta woes
In his speech, Saretsky also lamented the high cost of airport improvement fees and other charges that lead to higher ticket prices in the country. He also spoke about how the airline has felt Alberta's economic pain with slumping oil and gas prices.
"We've had to take some body blows, as we call them, to survive and thrive in the current tough environment."
WestJet responded by moving some of its fleet away from Alberta to other parts of the country, freezing head office wages, evaluating whether to fill vacancies and deferring plane deliveries.
About 45 per cent of WestJet flights touch Alberta, he said.
Saretsky cancelled his media session with reporters, which was to follow the speech, because of scheduling.

http://i.cbc.ca/1.3731208.1471891633!/f ... sation.png

43S/172E
Rank 3
Rank 3

West Jet 004 Cancelled three days in a row

Post by 43S/172E »

From the West Jet Departures Screen

Departure on Monday, 3 October 2016
Flight Departure Arrival
Flight Number City Scheduled Time Gate Status City Scheduled Time Gate Status
WS 4 London (Gatwick), United Kingdom (LGW) 2:45 PM Cancelled Toronto, ON (YYZ) 5:50 PM Cancelled

Return to “WestJet”