WestJet flights to London prompting a wave of complaints

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: WestJet flights to London prompting a wave of complaints

Post by Maxpwr »

I just call'em as I see em.
---------- ADS -----------

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Getting back to Saretsky's future. I do not think that he survives until September of next year. If the FA's unionize, followed by the Pilots, and if the 767's continue to be a thorn in the operation, I can see a push from the board to have him removed. From what I'm hearing the WJ culture has morphed into something that no longer resembles what the early employees fostered and maintained. Some of that is due to a natural evolution due to size, but some of it also lands at the feet of the management.
My two cents....

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-can ... -1.3793139
On the second night his flight was cancelled, Air Canada passenger Darryl Metcalfe says, some fellow travellers started losing it.

"There was an angry mob, Brazilian passengers yelling in Portuguese. They had to bring in some security guards."

Metcalfe and at least 170 other passengers were stranded in Brazil for two days last weekend. The reason: Air Canada twice cancelled its flight from Rio de Janeiro to Toronto due to mechanical problems.
I guess Air Canada has widebody problems too... :shock:

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

brooks wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-can ... -1.3793139
On the second night his flight was cancelled, Air Canada passenger Darryl Metcalfe says, some fellow travellers started losing it.

"There was an angry mob, Brazilian passengers yelling in Portuguese. They had to bring in some security guards."

Metcalfe and at least 170 other passengers were stranded in Brazil for two days last weekend. The reason: Air Canada twice cancelled its flight from Rio de Janeiro to Toronto due to mechanical problems.
I guess Air Canada has widebody problems too... :shock:
No, it's cause every carrier uses their worst crap equipment on South American routes. Not to Europe because there they have to pay for incompetence. AA is using 757's to S America. Loads of issues.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: WestJet CEO calls London flights a success, despite problems

Post by Rookie50 »

Blame, blame, blame.

Blame the repair company. Blame low oil prices. Blame high AIF's. What next? Low oil prices are a boon! Should be printing money.

Cancell out of press conference. No accountability.

Not one word about his own incompetence. He is the CEO. All decisions and results lie with him. Buck stops here. Obviously hasn't heard that word. Great CEO's don't blame everyone else.

I invest in companies as a profession. I wouldn't buy this stock witn this CEO's attitude.

I'd short it except in the country club we all call Canada, we whine and Can't stand the thought of effective competition. And we all pay for that in every industry.

Open it up let the U.S. carriers fly YYZ -YVR and Canadians pick a few US slots.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Go online and try to book a ticket in economy. Most days you can't because the flights are full. WJ has responded to the middle class with low airfares without the pax getting the AC Rouge effect. By expanding into Europe they have brought the price down for oversees travel. Investors don't care a whole lot about teething issues with the 767. They care about the bottom line. The CEO has made it clear, more are wide-body's coming.

Re: Motley Fool.
The company is sitting on a mountain of cash. It currently has some $1.7 billion in cash, versus $1.9 billion in debt. Compare that to Air Canada, which has $3.1 billion in cash versus $6.9 billion in debt. Air Canada has a debt-to-assets ratio of approximately 50%, while WestJet’s ratio has only recently popped over 25%.

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

So I take it you are in favour of lop sided trade agreements?

Allow US airlines to operate within Canada but prohibit Canadian companies from doing the same in the US?

How dumb a trade agreement would that be?

Forgetting about a host of regulatory issues, (for example, under who's rules and regs would a Delta flight from YYC to YYZ operate? US DoT or Canadian MoT?), cabotage will never occur in Canada unless Canadian carriers are allowed the same opportunity in the US, (or any other jurisdiction you choose).

I wouldn't hold your breath on that file. There is absolutely no interest or commercial need in the US to have their domestic markets opened up to foreign competition.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Realitychex wrote:So I take it you are in favour of lop sided trade agreements?

Allow US airlines to operate within Canada but prohibit Canadian companies from doing the same in the US?

How dumb a trade agreement would that be?

Forgetting about a host of regulatory issues, (for example, under who's rules and regs would a Delta flight from YYC to YYZ operate? US DoT or Canadian MoT?), cabotage will never occur in Canada unless Canadian carriers are allowed the same opportunity in the US, (or any other jurisdiction you choose).

I wouldn't hold your breath on that file. There is absolutely no interest or commercial need in the US to have their domestic markets opened up to foreign competition.
I said it should be 2 sided, FWIW.

Broader point is the country club in this country that makes everything so expensive. We can't even get real estate info online as one other simple example. So protectionist here.

BTW look at the stock price during a period of rock bottom fuel prices and record stock prices. Near 2 year low. So obviously investors are paying attention to a CEO who isn't responsible for anything. I have zero tolerance for that as an investor.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

As an investor you should be happy that you're buying low...

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

Rookie50 wrote: BTW look at the stock price during a period of rock bottom fuel prices and record stock prices. Near 2 year low.
Stock was 53% above it's 2 year low on Fri.

Return to “WestJet”