Hiring mins for 2017?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Hiring mins for 2017?

Post by Pt6-42 »

Someone with 1300tt , 1100 multi have a chance to get on ?
---------- ADS -----------

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Hiring mins for 2017?

Post by mbav8r »

Nickynicks alter ego?
July 15 of this year in a Jazz forum, "Do you think anyone with around 1000tt with 800 multi would have a chance"
July 28' "my plan is to right my A's around 1000tt if i get onto a 705 machine and two years goes by before i get all the hours required will i have to write my tests again, or is it locked in since im on a real two crew machine?
Thanks p"
Now less than a month later you have 1300 TT and 1100 multi!
More evidence, pt6-42 is the engine on the BE-20, at least that is consistent!

JTrain
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JTrain »

My biggest question is why do the moderators put up with the Nicky Nicks of the AvCanada world.

This site can be a very useful tool for people working or interested in Canadian aviation. Yet the actions of a few individuals / screen names only serve to drive away hundreds if not thousands of folks who would have relevant comments to make, but are turned off by threads that could become productive instead become stillborn when known trolls weigh in.

Please, moderators, live up to your position.

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

Please, moderators, live up to your position.
Oh they do, but for all the wrong people & posts.

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pt6-42 »

Im no nicky nick. I was just curious when i get to that hr level if i had a chance with encore ... Relax ppl

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

The lowest I've heard of is 1700ish hours from a military background on heavy multi-engine aircraft. My GUESS is that 2000tt+ is the minimum necessary to be competitive. I have no inside knowledge so take it for what it's worth.

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pt6-42 »

Thanks!

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I apologize for making that assumption however perhaps you should be more concise with your queries.
Something like I'm trying to plan for the future, when I reach 1300 hours etc... Just some friendly AvCanada advice, most of us are tired of the trolls

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pt6-42 »

Ok , im still new here

JTrain
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JTrain »

mbav8r wrote:I apologize for making that assumption however perhaps you should be more concise with your queries.
Something like I'm trying to plan for the future, when I reach 1300 hours etc... Just some friendly AvCanada advice, most of us are tired of the trolls
+1.

Apply as soon as you remotely think you will be competitive.

Update frequently. Every two weeks or so.

With the amount of hiring going on in Canadian aviation, things could happen quicker than you think.

You only hurt yourself by listening to the nay-sayers / not applying even though you might have less than what the minimums may be. Best case scenario you show a lot of perseverance and determination in applying and updating regularly.

Good luck!

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

JBI wrote:The lowest I've heard of is 1700ish hours from a military background on heavy multi-engine aircraft. My GUESS is that 2000tt+ is the minimum necessary to be competitive. I have no inside knowledge so take it for what it's worth.
I'm aware of a few offers to pilots just over 1500 hours within the last year. Some chose to go, some had better offers.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

lazyeight wrote:
JBI wrote:The lowest I've heard of is 1700ish hours from a military background on heavy multi-engine aircraft. My GUESS is that 2000tt+ is the minimum necessary to be competitive. I have no inside knowledge so take it for what it's worth.
I'm aware of a few offers to pilots just over 1500 hours within the last year. Some chose to go, some had better offers.

Do you know if these pilots had a lot of multi turbine time or multi time?

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

Encore's minimum is 1500 hours. Although right now they are currently hiring people in the 3000 hours range....One of the best ways to be competitive is if you know someone within the company (a pilot ideally) and they can recommend you, if you can get 2 recommendations you usually get through to at least an interview, from there it is up to you. Be prepared to accept a position in Toronto though as that is where they are currently expanding encore the most aggressively and have the hardest time finding applicants as they do not pay near as much as the parent company and Toronto is expensive.

SOURCE: My father has been with Westjet since 98 and is currently Captain on the 767
Qualifications (the following minimum qualifications are required prior to offer of employment):

Legally entitled to work in Canada
Transport Canada Airline Transport Pilot’s License (ATPL)
1500 hours total time (fixed-wing preferred)
250 hours fixed-wing pilot-in-command time (multi-engine or high performance single engine turbine PIC preferred)
250 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time (high performance single engine multi-crew turbine can be included towards your multi-engine experience ie. PC-12)
250 hours multi-crew experience
Valid Transport Canada Group 1 instrument rating
Valid Transport Canada Class 1 medical certificate
High School diploma
Oral and written proficiency in English
Valid passport:
If the passport is issued by a country other than Canada the following documents are required:
A valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card
All visas necessary to operate within WestJet’s network
Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC) obtained prior to the completion of Initial Ground School
As per our Alcohol and Drug Policy all offers of employment are conditional on passing a pre-employment alcohol and drug screening test.
Source: Westjet Job posting for F/O with Encore
https://career4.successfactors.com/care ... LEcubyA%3d

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

How does someone which meets all the posted qualifications get an interview however doesn't know anyone that works there?

outflying8 wrote:Encore's minimum is 1500 hours. Although right now they are currently hiring people in the 3000 hours range....One of the best ways to be competitive is if you know someone within the company (a pilot ideally) and they can recommend you, if you can get 2 recommendations you usually get through to at least an interview, from there it is up to you. Be prepared to accept a position in Toronto though as that is where they are currently expanding encore the most aggressively and have the hardest time finding applicants as they do not pay near as much as the parent company and Toronto is expensive.

SOURCE: My father has been with Westjet since 98 and is currently Captain on the 767
Qualifications (the following minimum qualifications are required prior to offer of employment):

Legally entitled to work in Canada
Transport Canada Airline Transport Pilot’s License (ATPL)
1500 hours total time (fixed-wing preferred)
250 hours fixed-wing pilot-in-command time (multi-engine or high performance single engine turbine PIC preferred)
250 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time (high performance single engine multi-crew turbine can be included towards your multi-engine experience ie. PC-12)
250 hours multi-crew experience
Valid Transport Canada Group 1 instrument rating
Valid Transport Canada Class 1 medical certificate
High School diploma
Oral and written proficiency in English
Valid passport:
If the passport is issued by a country other than Canada the following documents are required:
A valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card
All visas necessary to operate within WestJet’s network
Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC) obtained prior to the completion of Initial Ground School
As per our Alcohol and Drug Policy all offers of employment are conditional on passing a pre-employment alcohol and drug screening test.
Source: Westjet Job posting for F/O with Encore
https://career4.successfactors.com/care ... LEcubyA%3d

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

iflyroads wrote:
lazyeight wrote:

Do you know if these pilots had a lot of multi turbine time or multi time?
Both turbine right seat and MPIC piston. Lots of it.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

outflying8 wrote:Encore's minimum is 1500 hours. Although right now they are currently hiring people in the 3000 hours range....
They are hiring 1500-1700 hours pilots right now.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

NickyNick wrote:How does someone which meets all the posted qualifications get an interview however doesn't know anyone that works there?
To be honest you just have to apply, I am not aware of any additional methods of getting an interview other than applying and hope to getting contacted, and getting an inside referral, just have to apply and hope for the best, they certainly hire people without referrals, it just helps a lot to have one.

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

lazyeight wrote:
outflying8 wrote:Encore's minimum is 1500 hours. Although right now they are currently hiring people in the 3000 hours range....
They are hiring 1500-1700 hours pilots right now.

That could be, I have coffee with some WJA pilots, and my dad is a pilot there (for 18 years now) and that's what they are telling me....certainly possible though, I know they are searching pretty hard for encore, honestly probably depends more on their evaluation of you than your hour log (provided you have the minimums)

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

Your dad must be pretty cool. You mention him every other post. Please tells us again where you dad works, that's my favourite part.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

AirMail wrote:Your dad must be pretty cool. You mention him every other post. Please tells us again where you dad works, that's my favourite part.
Maybe I like to state my source so people know im not pulling random figures out of the air....if you dont like it dont read, grow up man

Return to “WestJet”