WestJet passengers help subdue man demanding to be let off mid-air

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

43S/172E
Rank 3
Rank 3

WestJet passengers help subdue man demanding to be let off mid-air

Post by 43S/172E »

A Flight Attendants worst nightmare and well done for all for defusing this serious incident

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:23AM EDT
Passengers on a WestJet flight from Toronto to Edmonton had to help to restrain a man on their flight who was demanding to be let off the plane while it was still thousands of feet in the air.
On Tuesday night, passenger Steven Kelly was sitting four rows back from the front of the plane when a man wearing a backpack walked up to the front twice during the last half of the four-hour flight.
The man approached the flight attendant both times and asked to get off the plane while it was still in the air.
Passengers on a WestJet flight from Toronto to Edmonton had to help to restrain a man on their flight who was demanding to be let off the plane while it was still thousands of feet in the air.
Kelly told CTV Edmonton he’s not sure if the man tried to open the plane’s door, but he was moving towards the door and was only a few feet away.
The flight attendant eventually asked for help, Kelly said, and he and some other passengers stepped in, helping to physically subdue the passenger.
“We zip-tied him, and they brought him to the back of the plane where they held him for about a half hour or so until we landed,” Kelly said.
RCMP said a 20-year-old man was taken into police custody without incident when the plane landed. They are now investigating.
According to Kelly, another passenger told him the man had spent the first three hours of the flight praying.
“The entire time he was calling us ‘non-believers,’ and if there were any believers on board, to kill him,” Kelly said.
“He definitely wanted to get out of that plane. He definitely wanted to die,” Kelly added.
WestJet declined a CTV News request for an interview, but a spokesperson confirmed an incident took place on board a flight “involving an unruly individual who was removed by RCMP at the request of the crew.” The airline also confirmed there were no injuries
---------- ADS -----------

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: WestJet passengers help subdue man demanding to be let off mid-air

Post by crazyaviator »

Hmmm, Let me guess, his name was Mohammed ? No, ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with ISLAM or the holy Koran or hatred towards the west NOTHING at all, move along Dhimmis ! :roll: In our dumbed down, brainwashed, politically correct , conquered country, only a nutjob gets to keep his backpack on, waltz up and down the aisle and chant to Allah and Mohammed and ask the kafirs to kill him FOR THREE HOURS !!!! Like the Calgary nightclub being shot up by not 1 but 2 Mohammeds,,,,and the national news will not even mention their names !! :( Cue the asswipes with name calling to try to silence the truth !! :lol: :lol:

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

crazyaviator wrote:Hmmm, Let me guess, his name was Mohammed ? No, ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with ISLAM or the holy Koran or hatred towards the west NOTHING at all, move along Dhimmis ! :roll: In our dumbed down, brainwashed, politically correct , conquered country, only a nutjob gets to keep his backpack on, waltz up and down the aisle and chant to Allah and Mohammed and ask the kafirs to kill him FOR THREE HOURS !!!! Like the Calgary nightclub being shot up by not 1 but 2 Mohammeds,,,,and the national news will not even mention their names !! :( Cue the asswipes with name calling to try to silence the truth !! :lol: :lol:
Have you ever heard the expression "don't feed the troll"? The same thing applies to religious nut jobs. The crew handled the threat appropriatly. This guy was harmless in the grand scheme of things and plastering him all over the nation's media would just be advertising for copycats.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Have you ever heard the expression "don't feed the troll"? The same thing applies to religious nut jobs. The crew handled the threat appropriatly. This guy was harmless in the grand scheme of things and plastering him all over the nation's media would just be advertising for copycats.
I Agree :D

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I agree with the principle of starving some nutjob of excessive publicity. But if that is the reason for omitting the obvious implications of his praying and reference to "non-believers", then why mention the story at all?

I do think it incredible that all of the news accounts are super-careful to avoid so much as a whiff of the terms "Muslim" or "Islam", I assume, for fear of offending someone, somewhere. It's Orwellian really. Carefully controlled and sanitized reporting. No doubt the few news entities that still allow online commenting will have heavy moderation in place to make sure no one is able to express even mild objections as I've written here.

It seems the only two choices on offer are either living in fear that calling something what it is, will trigger more extremists, or bending over to placate the politically correct. I reject both approaches: they're not only cowardly, but stupid.

Just keep living in denial, Canada. Your 9-11 moment is coming. Even that probably wouldn't be enough now to wake people up.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

What?

Tacoma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tacoma »

Yusuf Hassan is charged with mischief over $5,000 under the Criminal Code of Canada, as well as endangering the safety or security of an aircraft and failure to comply with an aircrew, both charges under the Aeronautics Act.

Return to “WestJet”