westjet ends up in Iceland

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

westjet ends up in Iceland

Post by altiplano »

ORIGINAL SUBJECT: "westjet ends up in Iceland"

Don't change it please. Or start your own thread if you want a new title.

-------------------------

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmo ... -1.3756688

Season wouldn't be complete without an NAT etops diversion.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by altiplano on Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FL410
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: westjet ends up in Iceland

Post by FL410 »

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Good job boys and girls.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

#1 engine HPT is toast. They are making arrangements to replace the engine now.

43S/172E
Rank 3
Rank 3

Edmonton-bound WestJet flight lands safely in Iceland after emergency

Post by 43S/172E »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3756688

Pilots reported an emergency just over two hours into the flight from London, England, to Edmonton
By Andrea Ross, CBC News Posted: Sep 10, 2016 8:37 AM MT Last Updated: Sep 10, 2016 3:35 PM MT
An Edmonton-bound WestJet flight from London, England, has landed safely in Iceland after being diverted due to a "potential mechanical issue," the airline said Saturday.
The flight, number WS27, left London's Gatwick airport at around 11:45 a.m. local time after a delay, and was scheduled to arrive in Edmonton just before 1 p.m.
Pilots reported an emergency just over two hours into the flight, and the Boeing 767 was thought to be dumping fuel as it circled over the Atlantic Ocean near Keflavik International Airport, near Reykjavik, Iceland.
WestJet spokeswoman Lauren Stewart said the plane's crew detected a "potential mechanical issue," but did not specify what that issue was.
'The captain told us through the PA that the engine had a malfunction of some sort, and that we had to make an emergency landing within the next 10 minutes'- Abdisalam Abdillahi, passenger
The flight landed safely at Keflavik International Airport at around 8:45 a.m. MT.
In an email, Stewart said the declaration of an emergency does not necessarily mean an "actual emergency" has occurred on board the flight.
"It is declared to establish priority landing and to ensure the availability of emergency vehicles whether needed or not, and is a measure taken out of an abundance of caution," Stewart said.
Gudni Sigurdsson, a spokesman from Isavia, the national airport and air navigation service provider in Iceland, said the WestJet aircraft had "reduced power from one engine." The captain of the flight decided to land in Iceland "for security reasons," he said in an email.
"The aircraft circled for some time to burn fuel before landing and then landed safely. There were 258 passengers on board the aircraft."
'I thought it was just turbulence'
In a message to CBC, passenger Abdisalam Abdillahi said passengers heard a "big bang" about an hour into the flight.
"I thought it was just turbulence, but the captain told us through the PA that the engine had a malfunction of some sort, and that we had to make an emergency landing within the next 10 minutes," he said.
"Some people slept through it and there wasn't that much of a reaction. But the people [who] were by the wing definitely heard it."
Abdillahi said the pilot then told passengers the plane needed to burn fuel and wouldn't land for another hour.
He said passengers are being told they will have to wait until tomorrow to board another flight.
Passenger Dan Hayden said the flight was "very busy" but not quite sold out, and that passengers are waiting to hear more on what will happen next.
WestJet said the aircraft will remain in Iceland for maintenance.
Passenger Autumn Hodgins said the pilot and flight attendants were calm and reassuring as the flight diverted to Iceland.
WestJet bought the stranded travellers dinner and set them up in hotels, she said later Saturday afternoon.
Hodgins said WestJet has been "fantastic" in coordinating a team to take care of the passengers, but said she's not sure if she'd fly internationally with the airline again.
"The most important part here is that everyone is safe and everyone is OK," she said.
WestJet's London flights prompt complaints, compensation
WestJet's service to London has been subject to a wave of complaints since it launched in May 2016.
It's the first overseas destination for the four wide-bodied Boeing 767 jets that it bought from Qantas. The jets have an average age of 24 years, and began having mechanical problems.
In a video posted to WestJet's internal YouTube channel on June 16, 2016, chief executive officer Gregg Saretsky explained the problem, calling the route a "hobbled operation."
"The 767s have been giving us lots of grief, lots of mechanical problems," said Saretsky in the video.
"We're finding that when things break, because some of the parts are so old, we don't have them in store. And then we're doing a global search through the AOG desk to find them and then it's taking two or three days to get these things. We don't want to keep them in stock because they break once every 20 years."

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

The folks at WJ and in particular the flight crew involved here just demonstrated how professional they really are in their handling of this unfortunate incident. Well done to them!

Last edited by rxl on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Westjet is a well established airline that is also well respected. A few growing pains is normal when you introduce new equipment and/or new routes and they've really done a good job when you compare to similar adventures of other well established and well respected airlines.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

All airlines experience growing pains with new fleet types on new destinations, that's a given, to suggest otherwise is shit. I am sure WJ will iron out any issues in due course and will have a viable wide body operation that is in demand by the travelling public. Wishing them the very best in the years ahead.

RustyDeuce
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Edmonton-bound WestJet flight lands safely in Iceland after emergency

Post by RustyDeuce »

Saretsky isn't wrong.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

CID wrote:...
Westjet is a well established airline that is also well respected. A few growing pains is normal when you introduce new equipment and/or new routes and they've really done a good job when you compare to similar adventures of other well established and well respected airlines.

Good job by a professional crew.

Hindsight being what it is maybe "New" equipment would have been a safer bet than old used machines that a company is inexperienced at handling. I know you meant "new to them", not picking on you. Just highlighting that maybe some new 87's would lessen the chance of mechanical issues being added to the list of other growing pains that were bound to come up.

No doubt in my mind that they'll be successful in the long term with widebodies.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Edmonton-bound WestJet flight lands safely in Iceland after emergency

Post by fish4life »

I think the issue would be trying to get delivery slots anytime soon on new equipment either 87's or 350's.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

co-joe wrote:Hindsight being what it is maybe "New" equipment would have been a safer bet than old used machines that a company is inexperienced at handling. I know you meant "new to them", not picking on you. Just highlighting that maybe some new 87's would lessen the chance of mechanical issues being added to the list of other growing pains that were bound to come up.
Having seen the introduction of the 787 at Norwegian I would have to disagree.

My company flew the routes initially because of late deliveries.

I did one of what was supposed to be one of the last flights and we were back flying for them a week later. The second 787 had so many issues that Norwegian returned it to Boeing. This aircraft spent almost a month having components changed and then doing test flights followed by more component changes.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Copy that, I guess stuff happens. New or old.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Co-joe, I don't know if you were trying to be funny but buying brand new airplanes doesn't prevent teething pains of introducing new aircraft types. Have you not been reading the news? 787s have maintenance issues requiring diversions too. And how about weeks of fleet groundings for battery fixes and now the replacement if about 100 engines on ANA's fleet? ANA also gets many complaints about the electronic window shades that don't "shade" much in bright sunlight.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Return to “WestJet”