Another WestJet B767 Diversion

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Another WestJet B767 Diversion

Post by complexintentions »

http://globalnews.ca/news/3011580/toron ... greenland/

Again?

Curious to know the technical details of a cooling problem serious enough to divert and apparently ground it. (2 B737's going for the pax). Anyone know which airport in Greenland? Not exactly a lot of good options there, I would have thought they would go to Iceland.
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Another WestJet B767 Diversion

Post by Antique Pilot »

complexintentions wrote:http://globalnews.ca/news/3011580/toron ... greenland/

Again?

Curious to know the technical details of a cooling problem serious enough to divert and apparently ground it. (2 B737's going for the pax). Anyone know which airport in Greenland? Not exactly a lot of good options there, I would have thought they would go to Iceland.
BGSF, Sondestrom.

AP

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

This is a different 67 then the Iceland adventure. Tweets from passengers said it was hit by lightning on its way to Gatwick?
Regardless it landed in Kangerlussuaq that has about 500 people. https://flightaware.com/live/airport/BGSF
Two 737-800's on their way as rescues.

Where in the world will westjet land next!

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Yeah someone sent me the FlightAware track too and I see now they were pretty far across to go anywhere else. You take what you can get when there's a problem but Sondrestrom is pretty grim.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

BGSF?
Jeez, I used to say in our enroute briefings (during ETOPS Operations) that I would divert there only if we were on fire! I was of course, only half serious, if it was suitable and adequate etc, it was an airport we could use if the QRH said we had to land at the nearest suitable airport.
So wow...bad luck there WS. I would guess that if it was a "cooling" problem it would be an Equipment Cooling failure which, if I recall from my '76 days is a "land as soon as..." deal.
Not having much luck with those birds right?
GRK

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Had to be pretty dire to end up there for sure.

CYFB is maybe about an hour away from where they were and certainly would have been preferable I would think...

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

altiplano wrote:Had to be pretty dire to end up there for sure.

CYFB is maybe about an hour away from where they were and certainly would have been preferable I would think...
As the cooling in the avionics bay was malfunctioning, the risk of equipment shutting down due to overheating was real, time would therefore be a major determining factor due to the risk of losing critical avionics systems.

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

BGSF is okay if you do what's on the plate. As anywhere else I guess...
good job from the crew.

Return to “WestJet”