Two union drives

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Two union drives

Post by Shady McSly »

---------- ADS -----------

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

WestJet's 500 Encore pilots officially join union; company 'disappointed'

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/loc ... 053aff9136

FenceSitter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FenceSitter »

Smitty wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 am
FenceSitter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:23 pm The title says two union drives and there look to be many more than that. Bets of luck to the Encore group. I hope that their "resounding majority" infers that they have greater than 50% and that they can apply for cardcheck denying the company the opportunity to play their games. The voting process seems to only allow for the company to peddle more fear. If you have more than 50%, then you already have the voice of the majority...good luck!!
CSAs,and FAs (at both airlines) look to be being spoken to by the big boys now...maintenance too. No more independent 'westjetty' pseudo-unions...just the real deal. Would it not have been easier for the company to deal with an independent union rather than CUPE or any of the other big guys? I suppose they will get the union they deserve....
The vote still happens regardless of the number of cards signed.
Your info is incorrect. Cardcheck is real. Given the absolute destruction of morale that a certain grapefruit-shaded person (I don't like him with good reason) has left in his wake I would suspect card-check will happen again in other departments. An argument can be made that CSAs could certify base by base. It's likely an expensive argument but cardcheck is a lot more likely at perhaps YYJ individually than it would be across the network. In reality I believe that unless the unions put big bucks and hundreds of boots on the ground across the country (which they are yet to commit to) base-by-base is the only way the CSAs will certify in less than 5 years. Maintenance makes sense to me as being fairly straight forward but with YYC maintenance being subjected to the anti-union BS on a daily basis it gets hard there.
The unionization of WestJet will be the legacy of Gregg Saretsky...but the BoD truly owns it. GS gets an $8,000,000.00 golden parachute (according to the circular) while he leaves the company profitable and trending (growth-wise) upwards behind him. He also leaves a HR department that is absolutely clueless and has opened this profitable company up to tens of millions potentially in payout to settle harassment cases (that settlement meeting last week with opposing counsel settled nothing, Mandy won't settle) and unfair dismissals.
Battling the employee groups, and employees as individuals, is a very bad idea. Ultimately his words ring hollow, his threats don't scare, and his lessons are simply wrong. "There are WestJetters who don't contribute positively to the culture," he said. "And if we can't bring them back into the fold, we have to make it uncomfortable for them to stay here. They need to find their happiness elsewhere." Look who is finding their happiness elsewhere now.....

Return to “WestJet”