Two union drives

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FurHat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Two union drives

Post by FurHat »

Smitty wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 am

The vote still happens regardless of the number of cards signed.
No vote will happen. The law changed back. If they have 50% +1 cards signed they get instant certification. I find it very unlikely they would file cards so early without being sure of having 50%.
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

no it doesn't over 50% is auto cert

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

MONTREAL (Reuters) - The chief executive of Canada’s WestJet Airlines said on Tuesday that negotiations to reach a first labor contract with pilots, which began this year, will be protracted and he does not expect a deal next year.
FILE PHOTO - President and Chief Executive Officer of Westjet Airlines Gregg Saretsky addresses shareholders during the company's annual general meeting in Calgary, Alberta, May 7, 2013. REUTERS/Todd Korol

“It’s going to take a long time,” CEO Gregg Saretsky told a Toronto transportation conference. “It is unlikely that there will be an agreement in 2018.”

Pilots from WestJet’s mainline and regional affiliate recently agreed to join the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) and separate unions are trying to organize the carrier’s other employees, including flight attendants.

Calgary-headquartered WestJet, Canada’s second-largest airline, had previously been the last carrier in North America with non-unionized pilots, Saretsky said.

“There’s a certain inevitability,” he said of the pilots joining ALPA.

The union campaigns at WestJet have raised some concerns among analysts about the prospect of higher labor costs at a time when the company is launching ultra-low-cost carrier Swoop, which is expected to start flights in June 2018.

Saretsky said he expected the first pilot contract to be “cost-neutral,” in terms of salaries and benefits, adding, “I‘m not expecting there to be any sizeable impact ... because we were paying our pilots very well.”

Well there you have it, your new contract is going to take a long time to negotitate and isn't going to pay you better (because you're already paid well). He just keeps finding new ways to endear himself to his pilots doesn't he? Certainly didn't seem to think that joining ALPA was inevitable before it happened.

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

It will take as long as it takes to get Swoop going plus a day for there to be a contract with the union to ensure the substandard conditions ... bank on it.

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Smitty »

You boy really need to keep up on events.

Bill C525 passed without the amendment allowing auto certification.

"Bill C-525 requires that the certification and decertification of a union as a bargaining agent under these Acts be achieved by a mandatory secret ballot vote–based majority."

Read the bill for yourself....

https://lop.parl.ca/About/Parliament/Le ... ibrary_prb

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

I've said it before... this is the strategy. The longer Greg drags out the talks, the more bonus money he collects. That's all he cares about. If I were him, it's all I'd care about. He'll do a mike drop on his way out the door dragging a giant golden parachute behind him. His resume is being shopped all over the globe right now and when he gets a better offer he's gone. Until then, hoard cash like a squirrel preparing for winter.

FurHat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FurHat »

Smitty wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:07 pm You boy really need to keep up on events.

Bill C525 passed without the amendment allowing auto certification.

"Bill C-525 requires that the certification and decertification of a union as a bargaining agent under these Acts be achieved by a mandatory secret ballot vote–based majority."

Read the bill for yourself....

https://lop.parl.ca/About/Parliament/Le ... ibrary_prb

Looks like you need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

Bill C525 was the one that was amended by Bill C4. You quoted the Background section of the bill that described the old law.

2.2 Parliamentary Employment And Staff Relations Act (clauses 5 To 7)

Clauses 5 to 7 of Bill C-4 amend the Parliamentary Employment and Staff Relations Act (PESRA) to reinstate certification and decertification procedures as they were before the coming into force of Bill C-525.

Clause 5 replaces section 25 of the PESRA, which outlines the procedure for certification of an employee organization as a bargaining unit. It eliminates the two step process created by Bill C-525, whereby the organization applying for certification had to show membership evidence for 40% of the employees, followed by a mandatory secret ballot representation vote.

New section 25 requires the PSLREB to certify an employee organization as bargaining agent if, among other requirements, it has received an application for certification from the employee organization and it is satisfied that a majority of the employees in the unit wish to be represented by the employee organization.

Clause 6 amends section 26 of the PESRA. In particular, it adds section 26(2), which gives the PSLREB sole discretion to direct that a representation vote be taken if it wishes to satisfy itself that a majority of employees in the unit want to be represented by the organization applying for certification. Bill C-525 repealed that section, because it made the secret ballot representation vote mandatory.

Clause 7 replaces sections 29(1) and 29(3) to 29(5) of the PESRA. Section 29 outlines the procedure for revocation of certification. The amendments brought by clause 7 to sections 29(1) and 29(3) reinstate the requirement that, to apply for a revocation of certification, a person must claim to represent a majority of employees in the bargaining unit. Bill C-525 reduced that threshold to 40% of employees. Clause 7 also amends section 29(4) to allow the PSLREB to use its discretion in ordering the taking of a representation vote to determine if a majority of employees no longer wish to be represented by the organization. Bill C-525 made that representation vote mandatory.

Clause 7 amends section 29(5) of the PESRA to reflect the fact that the secret ballot representation vote is no longer mandatory. New section 29(5) requires that the PSLREB revoke certification if it is satisfied that a majority of employees in the unit no longer wish to be represented by the organization.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

Mostly Harmless wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:26 pm I've said it before... this is the strategy. The longer Greg drags out the talks, the more bonus money he collects. That's all he cares about. If I were him, it's all I'd care about. He'll do a mike drop on his way out the door dragging a giant golden parachute behind him. His resume is being shopped all over the globe right now and when he gets a better offer he's gone. Until then, hoard cash like a squirrel preparing for winter.
Where did you say it before?

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

NewCommercialPilot wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:14 am Where did you say it before?
Other threads in here. I can see if I can dig it up if you would like.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

Mostly Harmless wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:34 am
NewCommercialPilot wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:14 am Where did you say it before?
Other threads in here. I can see if I can dig it up if you would like.
That'd be great!

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

WestJet's 500 Encore pilots officially join union; company 'disappointed'

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/loc ... 053aff9136

FenceSitter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FenceSitter »

Smitty wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 am
FenceSitter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:23 pm The title says two union drives and there look to be many more than that. Bets of luck to the Encore group. I hope that their "resounding majority" infers that they have greater than 50% and that they can apply for cardcheck denying the company the opportunity to play their games. The voting process seems to only allow for the company to peddle more fear. If you have more than 50%, then you already have the voice of the majority...good luck!!
CSAs,and FAs (at both airlines) look to be being spoken to by the big boys now...maintenance too. No more independent 'westjetty' pseudo-unions...just the real deal. Would it not have been easier for the company to deal with an independent union rather than CUPE or any of the other big guys? I suppose they will get the union they deserve....
The vote still happens regardless of the number of cards signed.
Your info is incorrect. Cardcheck is real. Given the absolute destruction of morale that a certain grapefruit-shaded person (I don't like him with good reason) has left in his wake I would suspect card-check will happen again in other departments. An argument can be made that CSAs could certify base by base. It's likely an expensive argument but cardcheck is a lot more likely at perhaps YYJ individually than it would be across the network. In reality I believe that unless the unions put big bucks and hundreds of boots on the ground across the country (which they are yet to commit to) base-by-base is the only way the CSAs will certify in less than 5 years. Maintenance makes sense to me as being fairly straight forward but with YYC maintenance being subjected to the anti-union BS on a daily basis it gets hard there.
The unionization of WestJet will be the legacy of Gregg Saretsky...but the BoD truly owns it. GS gets an $8,000,000.00 golden parachute (according to the circular) while he leaves the company profitable and trending (growth-wise) upwards behind him. He also leaves a HR department that is absolutely clueless and has opened this profitable company up to tens of millions potentially in payout to settle harassment cases (that settlement meeting last week with opposing counsel settled nothing, Mandy won't settle) and unfair dismissals.
Battling the employee groups, and employees as individuals, is a very bad idea. Ultimately his words ring hollow, his threats don't scare, and his lessons are simply wrong. "There are WestJetters who don't contribute positively to the culture," he said. "And if we can't bring them back into the fold, we have to make it uncomfortable for them to stay here. They need to find their happiness elsewhere." Look who is finding their happiness elsewhere now.....

Return to “WestJet”