Encore Commuting policy

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Foo Fighter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Encore Commuting policy

Post by Foo Fighter »

Hey guys

I heard recently that Encore now has some sort of
commuting policy. Any truth to this, and if so can anyone fill us in on the details?

Tried searching but no luck.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Encore Commuting policy

Post by JBI »

Encore does have a commuting policy. From what I understand, you can live in a Canadian city that has WestJet or Encore service and you need to give yourself two flights, the latter of which will arrive at least 30 minutes before check-in time (an hour before departure for most flights). If you miss your checkin (and have let the company know), you lose the pairing and pay, but don't face discipline. If it happened a lot I'm sure they'd want to work out a new arrangement with you.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you are well rested for your actual pairing. The actual flights are free, but if you need to arrive early and get a hotel or crash pad, that's on your own dime.

Best of luck fighting those Foos :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqrG6JXsPPw

Foo Fighter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Foo Fighter »

Haha

Thanks for the info JBI.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

How realistic is this? Don't they work ~20 day/month? By the time you get home wouldn't you need to leave to go to your base and get rested for next work day? Thank you.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

I think they're down to 19 days/month now with plan for 18 next year. Not positive so maybe an Encore person can confirm or deny. As far as commuting policies go though, it's pretty good.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

There's a difference between max amount of days that can be scheduled and actual days scheduled. From what I understand (through seeing many different pilot's schedules), most Encore pilots work between 16 - 18 days a month.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

All depends what base you fly out of and what seat you occupy. YYZ FO's probably work the least, averaging around 13-16 days. Almost everyone out west is working flat out. 18-19 days. Doesn't leave much room for commuting!

ChrisGK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChrisGK »

Anyone willing to volunteer information on what the Encore YYZ based Captain schedule is like? I'm particularly interested in hearing from YHZ commuters (PM if you'd prefer).

CGK

Delta602
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Delta602 »

I'll be that guy and rehash an old thread.

Does anyone have an update on the Encore commuting lifestyle? Are the pilots in YYC still working 18+ days per month?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

ChrisGK wrote:Anyone willing to volunteer information on what the Encore YYZ based Captain schedule is like? I'm particularly interested in hearing from YHZ commuters (PM if you'd prefer).

CGK
If you're Halifax based, why not apply at Jazz? Avoid the need to commute altogether.

Flyguy13
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flyguy13 »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:
ChrisGK wrote:Anyone willing to volunteer information on what the Encore YYZ based Captain schedule is like? I'm particularly interested in hearing from YHZ commuters (PM if you'd prefer).

CGK
If you're Halifax based, why not apply at Jazz? Avoid the need to commute altogether.
Jazz only has a flight attendant base in YHZ. Porter however does have a pilot base.

JTrain
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JTrain »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:

CGK
If you live in Halifax, you'll be getting 8-10 YHZ overnights per month if that is what you bid for with Encore.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Encore now recruiting direct entry Captains with 1500 hours and 250 hours single engine turbine PIC. :shock:

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Jimmy2 wrote:Encore now recruiting direct entry Captains with 1500 hours and 250 hours single engine turbine PIC. :shock:
No, this statement is not correct. Encore has lowered the minimum requirements for employment for First Officers (removed the requirement to have an ATPL amongst other items). However, as it is CLEARLY stated in the job ad, Captain qualifications are necessary as per the following matrix:
Captain Qualifications:

The following minimum flight time is required for all applicants to be considered for a captain position.
Total Time.......DHC-8-400 Time Required
4000+................500

Candidates with less than the required DHC-8-400 can apply a credit of 50% for time flown in Transport Category (705) aircraft other than the DHC-8-400. The intent is to allow experience in an operation similar to that of WestJet Encore to be used toward DHC-8-400 totals. Half of any experience on aircraft such as a DHC-8-100/300, ATR or RJ may be used. Second Officer/ Flight Engineer time does not qualify for this program.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

That matrix isn't in the new job ad they posted on this site.
Qualifications (the following minimum qualifications are required prior to offer of employment):
•Legally entitled to work in Canada
•Transport Canada Airline Transport Pilot’s License (ATPL)
•1500 hours total time (fixed-wing preferred)
•250 hours fixed-wing pilot-in-command time (multi-engine or high performance single engine turbine PIC preferred)
•250 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time (high performance single engine multi-crew turbine can be included towards your multi-engine experience ie. PC-12)
•250 hours multi-crew experience
•Q400 experience is an asset (relatable hours on similar aircraft will be considered i.e. Dash 8/ATR, etc.)
•Valid Transport Canada Group 1 instrument rating
•Valid Transport Canada Class 1 medical certificate
•High School diploma
•Oral and written proficiency in English
•Valid passport:
•If the passport is issued by a country other than Canada the following documents are required:
A valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card
All visas necessary to operate within WestJet’s network
•Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC) obtained prior to the completion of Initial Ground School
•As per our Alcohol and Drug Policy all offers of employment are conditional on passing a pre-employment alcohol and drug screening test.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Jimmy2 - fair enough. Regardless, the ad on AvCanada simply links to the job posting on the WJ website which does outline the matrix. Captains need to meet the matrix before being eligible for an upgrade whether they are direct entry or promoted from within. There are no 1500 hour Q400 Captains at Encore.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Since they don't require an ATPL anymore for FO's does that mean they're offering PICUS now?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

goleafsgo wrote:Since they don't require an ATPL anymore for FO's does that mean they're offering PICUS now?
We have it at Jazz but not like anyone actually gets to use it. I've been told most people rent or take a LOA to fly a jump or bush plane.

superbilly24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by superbilly24 »

How easy would the commute be from YQM to YYZ? Layovers in YQM if you bid for them?

Since scheduling is not seniority based, curious how many days of reserve an FO usually gets a month. Obviously makes the commute a bit harder.

Are long pairings available, making it easier to have several days off in a row? What about FLICA? Is it only for mainline and your monthly schedule is set in stone once issued or is FLICA used at Encore as well?

Any info is appreciated.

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

There's a handful of Moncton commuters at Encore and more at mainline.

There are YQM layovers (I think 2 crews/night), however those pairings may or may not be very commutable, so it may not be in your best interest to bid for them. Pairings change every month though.

Max 8 days of reserve/month, in 3 to 4 day blocks.

Pairings are 3 to 4 days long, few 5 day pairings.

No FLICA at Encore. You can do trades, but they're pretty hard to come by, so don't count on that.

Return to “WestJet”