Westjet - Montreal announcement

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Westjet - Montreal announcement

Post by altiplano »

Whats the big announcement with Garneau next week?

New Mirabel hub?

Buying Transat?

C-series?
---------- ADS -----------

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Westjet - Montreal announcement

Post by sanjet »

An announcement "worthy" of the minister of transport attending? I would think a c-series order or opening of a maintenance center in yul/ymx?

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

I bet it is a large order for RJ - 900 aircraft for Encore, to which they will then threaten mainline pilots with if they decide to unionize.

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

lol true, never any shortage of that material
ill put my money on more dash 8's

eliteair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eliteair »

WestJet in summer 2017 season is expanding service at Montreal, as the airline introduces 3 new routes, which will be operated by WestJet Encore’s Dash8-Q400 aircraft. Reservation for these new services opened during the weekend of 11FEB17.

eff 15MAR17 Montreal – Halifax 2 daily
WS3451 YUL0915 – 1201YHZ DH4 D
WS3453 YUL1815 – 2101YHZ DH4 D

WS3450 YHZ0745 – 0843YUL DH4 D
WS3452 YHZ1650 – 1748YUL DH4 D

Operational schedule varies on/after 30APR17

eff 15JUN17 Montreal – Quebec City 4 daily
WS3448 YUL0745 – 0840YQB DH4 D
WS3438 YUL1200 – 1255YQB DH4 D
WS3516 YUL1600 – 1655YQB DH4 D
WS3434 YUL2000 – 2055YQB DH4 D

WS3449 YQB0615 – 0707YUL DH4 D
WS3439 YQB0930 – 1022YUL DH4 D
WS3515 YQB1400 – 1452YUL DH4 D
WS3433 YQB1730 – 1822YUL DH4 D

eff 15OCT17 Montreal – Boston 2 daily
WS3652 YUL0715 – 0845BOS DH4 D
WS3610 YUL1600 – 1730BOS DH4 D

WS3653 BOS0925 – 1057YUL DH4 D
WS3611 BOS1815 – 1947YUL DH4 D

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Makes sense now but would Transport Minister be there for that announcement? Or could it be new/increased YUL service AND aircraft purchase from BBD?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I don't think a minister shows up for a commercial announcement like a new route...

I doubt he'd show up for a Bombardier order either...

Has to be something that showcases a political decision, or really casts him a hero with some part of the electorate to bother...

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Yep, I certainly hope that's not it, pretty underwhelming and definitely not an event type announcement!
Can you imagine, ladies and gentlemen of the press, we've gathered you here today to announce three new routes on dash 8s, yes you heard correctly, that's THREE new routes, now I'll take your questions.
My guess is C series, going to Encore, for what's it's worth I'll get to say I told you so. Anyone know exactly when this announcement is supposed to happen?
Just had a look and it appears to be scheduled for right now.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

I guess you'll have to save your "I told you so" for later. :roll:

News Releases

WestJet shakes up Quebec market with new routes, increased capacity

Airline known for low fares delivers flights from $12 base fare, $99 total price

CALGARY, Feb. 13, 2017 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced a significant investment in Quebec's travel and tourism market with increased service and new routes to and from Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport as well as Quebec City's Jean Lesage International Airport. Overall, the airline is adding 105 more flights per week in the province, a capacity increase of 74 per cent.

"Our unique brand of great service and low fares has been embraced across Canada for more than 20 years and today, WestJet is here to offer more choice and competition to the Quebec market," said Bob Cummings, WestJet Executive Vice-President Commercial. "The people in Quebec have traditionally been served by a legacy carrier and WestJet believes this significant additional investment in the province will give leisure and corporate travellers a choice in airlines and bring lower fares to more than 8.2 million Quebecers. We look forward to flying hundreds of thousands of travellers to and from this beautiful province to enjoy the area and conduct business. As always, we are committed to making air travel in Canada better."

"The City of Montreal is pleased with the increased frequency of WestJet flights. The year 2017 marks Montreal's 375th anniversary and this announcement is perfectly timed to help to promote our city internationally while creating local jobs", said Harout Chitilian, Vice-President of the executive committee of the City of Montreal, responsible for information technology, smart city, administrative reform and youth.

Starting June 15, WestJet will begin point-to-point service for the first time within the province with four daily flights between Montreal and Quebec City. On March 15, WestJet will launch twice-daily service between Montreal and Halifax. And, on October 15, WestJet will begin twice-daily service between Montreal and Boston.

In addition, the airline will also increase its number of non-stop flights between Montreal and Vancouver from six per week to 12. WestJet's operations between Montreal and Calgary will increase from 14 flights per week to 19. The airline's Quebec City and Toronto service will add one more daily flight for a total of three. With the addition of WestJet's new services the airline will operate 195 weekly departures from Montreal and 50 departures from Quebec City by October 2017.

"I want to thank WestJet for its confidence and support to develop Montreal-Trudeau as a hub," said Phillipe Rainville, CEO of Aeroports de Montreal. "With these three destinations, WestJet will now offer an average of eight additional flights per day and 33 per cent more seats departing from Montreal, which is excellent news for our passengers."

All three new routes will be operated by WestJet's regional airline, WestJet Encore and its fleet of Canadian-made Bombardier Q400s. WestJet is proud to support this iconic Canadian company based in Montreal and flies the fourth largest fleet of Q400s in the world. By mid-2018, the regional airline will have a total of 45 aircraft.

Routes to Vancouver and Calgary will be operated on WestJet's fleet of Boeing 737 aircraft featuring the enhanced Plus product and WestJet Connect, WestJet's Wi-Fi connected, inflight entertainment system.

Details of WestJet's new non-stop service:

Route
Frequency
Departing
Arriving
Effective
Montreal – Quebec City
Four times daily
7:45 a.m.
12 p.m.
4 p.m.
8 p.m.
8:40 a.m.
12:55 p.m.
4:55 p.m.
8:55 p.m.
June 15, 2017
Quebec City – Montreal
Four times daily
6:15 a.m.
9:30 a.m.
2 p.m.
5:30 p.m.
7:07 a.m.
10:22 a.m.
2:52 p.m.
6:22 p.m.
June 15, 2017
Montreal – Halifax
Twice daily
9:15 a.m.
6:20 p.m.
11:57 a.m.
9 p.m.
March 15, 2017
Halifax – Montreal
Twice daily
7:45 a.m.
4:50 p.m.
8:43 a.m.
5:48 p.m.
March 15, 2017
Montreal – Boston
Twice daily
7:15 a.m.
4 p.m.
8:45 a.m.
5:30 p.m.
October 15, 2017
Boston – Montreal
Twice daily
9:25 a.m.
6:15 p.m.
10:57 a.m.
7:47 p.m.
October 15, 2017

Introductory one-way fares are available starting from:

Departing
Arriving
Air transportation charges (ATC)
Taxes,
fees and
charges
Total
one-way
price from
Base fare from
Other ATC
Montreal
Boston
$12.00
$0.00
$86.77
$99.00*CAD
Montreal
Halifax
$35.00
$18.00
$45.30
$98.00*CAD
Halifax
Montreal
$35.00
$18.00
$44.89
$98.00*CAD
Montreal
Quebec City
$31.00
$12.00
$43.76
$87.00*CAD
Quebec City
Montreal
$31.00
$12.00
$55.31
$98.00*CAD

*Book by February 20, 2017 (11:59 p.m. MT). Some restrictions apply. For more details, please visit westjet.com/quebec-en.

Today, as part of the celebration of increased service in Quebec, WestJet also announced that it is working with its partner, Big Brother Big Sisters of Montreal (BBBS) to give 10 "big and little" matches an experience of a lifetime with a trip between Montreal and Halifax. BBBS is one of eight national charities WestJet supports through WestJet Cares for Kids. In 2016, WestJet provided 452 gifts of flight through its community investment and WestJet Cares for Kids programs in Quebec.

About WestJet
We are proud to be Canada's most trusted airline, powered by an award-winning culture of care and recognized as one of the country's top employers. WestJet, and our regional airline, WestJet Encore, offer scheduled service to more than 100 destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe. Through our partnerships with airlines representing every major region of the world, we offer our guests more than 150 destinations in more than 20 countries. Leveraging WestJet's extensive network, flight schedule and remarkable guest experience, WestJet Vacations delivers affordable, flexible travel experiences with a variety of accommodation options for every guest. Members of our WestJet Rewards program earn WestJet dollars on flights, vacation packages and more. Our members use WestJet dollars towards the purchase of WestJet flights and vacations packages on any day, at any time, to any WestJet destination with no blackout periods ̶ even on seat sales. For more information about everything WestJet, please visit westjet.com.

Recent recognition includes:
2016 Canada's Most Trusted Airline (Gustavson School of Business at the University of Victoria)
2016 Canada's most reputable company for Corporate Social Responsibility (Reputation Institute)
2016/2015/2014/2013/2012 Ranked top three for Canadian Brands (Canadian Business Magazine)
2016/2015/2014/2013 WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard ranked #1 in Canada (MoneySense magazine)
2015/2011/2010/2008/2007/2006/2005 Canada's Most Admired Corporate Culture (Waterstone Human Capital)
2015 Best Employers in Canada (Aon Hewitt)

Connect with WestJet on Facebook at facebook.com/westjet
Follow WestJet on Twitter at twitter.com/westjet
Subscribe to WestJet on YouTube at youtube.com/westjet
Read the WestJet blog at blog.westjet.com

SOURCE WestJet

For further information: Media contacts: To contact WestJet media relations, please email media@westjet.com.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Yep, guess I don't get to say told you so, increased service is all, WJ PR sure knows how to create a buzz about a fairly standard occurrence! Air Canada just issued a press release about 13 new destinations from Montreal, no Minister required! Apparently people, myself included don't see these things coming, big announcement? Oh well, I'm sure I'll fall for it again.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/business ... ilter=5611
CALGARY, Feb. 13, 2017 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced a significant investment in Quebec's travel and tourism market with increased service and new routes to and from Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport as well as Quebec City's Jean Lesage International Airport. Overall, the airline is adding 105 more flights per week in the province, a capacity increase of 74 per cent.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

mbav8r wrote:Yep, I certainly hope that's not it, pretty underwhelming and definitely not an event type announcement!
Can you imagine, ladies and gentlemen of the press, we've gathered you here today to announce three new routes on dash 8s, yes you heard correctly, that's THREE new routes, now I'll take your questions.
LOL

eliteair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eliteair »

FYI... Marc Garneau didn't show up

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

eliteair wrote:FYI... Marc Garneau didn't show up
What? For an announcement this big? Wow, he must have a good excuse though.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

So much for my BBD stocks popping this week!

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I just want to know when this "In addition, the airline will also increase its number of non-stop flights between Montreal and Vancouver from six per week to 12" is happening.

I don't want to spend 30 hours trying to get back to Vancouver like I did a few days ago.

eliteair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eliteair »

Black_Tusk wrote:I just want to know when this "In addition, the airline will also increase its number of non-stop flights between Montreal and Vancouver from six per week to 12" is happening.

I don't want to spend 30 hours trying to get back to Vancouver like I did a few days ago.
In summer schedule the airline is also introducing additional trans-continental service to/from Montreal, including:

eff 01MAY17 Montreal – Calgary Increase from 2 to 3 daily on weekdays
WS215 YUL0645 – 0924YYC 737 D
WS213 YUL1200 – 1439YYC 737 x67
WS217 YUL1815 – 2054YYC 737 D

WS214 YYC0100 – 0705YUL 737 D
WS212 YYC0900 – 1505YUL 737 x67
WS218 YYC1235 – 1840YUL 737 D

eff 01MAY17 Montreal – Vancouver Increase from 1 to 2 daily
WS565 YUL0800 – 1028YVR 737 D
WS543 YUL1925 – 2153YVR 737 D

WS542 YVR0825 – 1616YUL 737 D
WS546 YVR2315 – 0706+1YUL 737 D (eff 30APR17)

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Could this announcement be the lead up to an even bigger announcement?

Article
February 14, 2017
Translated.
The Calgary WestJet carrier is expected to acquire integrated tour operator Transat A.T., says Turan Quettawala of Scotiabank.

"Our analysis suggests that a transaction would be beneficial both strategically and financially and would bring many synergies and competitive advantages to international markets," the analyst wrote in a report.

WestJet could offer as much value as 90% to get hold of Transat's shares and still find its account, he said.

WestJet could offer up to $ 10 per share (a 45% to 90% capital gain) for Transat and add 25-30% to its own profits, Quettawala said.

The report dated February 13 is not very popular on the stock market at this time. WestJet's share (Tor., WJA, $ 22.48) is stable Tuesday morning, while that of Transat (Tor., TRZ, $ 5.18) is up 5.5%.

"Transat's share hit a low in 52 weeks Monday. It is at the same level as in 1992 and is well below the peak of $ 35.75 in September 2007. "

It's hard to say whether WestJet executives would want to consider such a deal, the analyst admits. On the other hand, the shareholders of Transat would surely be open to such a possibility after years without return on the stock market for the tour operator.

With the expansion of WestJet in Montreal and Quebec City and the difficulties encountered by Transat in recent years, this speculation is not new. Various analysts have alluded to the occasion since 2014.

In March 2014, Doug Cooper of Beacon Securities saw Transat as a good target for WestJet or Air Canada. He was lapping the benefits of consolidation for the profitability of the industry.

According to Mr. Quettawala, WestJet could penetrate the European market faster and at lower cost and potentially gain greater power to impose its prices for transatlantic flights and to the south. The company could better compete with Air Canada and Rouge.

The analyst adds that WestJet's investment merits would improve as the acquisition would reduce costs and the risk of its expansion abroad.

WestJet could expand its service internationally at lower cost than through the internal expansion of its own fleet of aircraft. The carrier would benefit from a network already established in Europe in particular.

Transatlantic Transatlantic flights are not as profitable as WestJet would like, but Transat's poor performance is due to competition from carriers offering scheduled flights. WestJet could remedy this disadvantage.

WestJet would also get an instant market share of 20% on transatlantic flights and 23% on flights to the South while eliminating a competitor.

Together, both carriers would account for 45% of the Southern market during the winter and 25% of that for transatlantic flights during the summer.

"Although there is a risk in linking the two corporate cultures, it could also turn into an advantage with the addition of more bilingual employees to the various customer service positions," the analyst said.

WestJet would get hold of a $ 150 million excess liquidity operator without issuing debt securities or shares.

The leased fleet of Airbus330 and Boeing737 from Transat would not be an obstacle since WestJet could use Boeing aircraft for some of its destinations, resell some Airbus 310 aircraft, or consider the addition of A330neo aircraft to its own fleet.

"WestJet would get 14 Airbus330s and their annual leases of $ 70M per year for $ 300M, while it would cost US $ 3.5B to buy new aircraft or US $ 800M to buy used devices," the analysis said.

Transat also has hotels in Mexico and the Caribbean valued at $ 150 million that WestJet could sell, the analyst said.

Administrative, operating and maintenance savings could reach 10% of the value of the transaction, Quettawala said.

This analysis excludes the value of other assets such as landing rights abroad, the potential for better revenue management, and the intangible value of the Transat brand in Québec.

Mr. Quettawala concluded his analysis by saying that the merits of such a union are sufficient to offset the potential risks associated with it, namely, the fact that Transat employees are unionized.

The transaction could also raise opposition from the Quebec government, particularly if WestJet's offer was hostile.

URC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by URC »

It's hard to say whether WestJet executives would want to consider such a deal, the analyst admits.
Fake News.

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

Imagine how Westjet pilots will feel if they agreed to allow widebody fleet expansion and the company just buys a widebody airline that comes with it's own pilots.

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

Scotia Bank have been pumping this concept for a couple of weeks now.

There are so many reasons why this makes no sense at all on so many levels, except to analysts who live in a world of theoretical but know nothing about realities.

Someone's trying to get TRZ's stock moving.

8)

Return to “WestJet”