Is it actually OK to use the "free" flights on a regular basis?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jvooste
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is it actually OK to use the "free" flights on a regular basis?

Post by jvooste »

Hey there Westjetters! I'm so excited to be joining your ranks for the summer season - it's my first foray into the airline industry.

Anyhow, since it's almost certain that my contract is only temporary, I fully intend on taking advantage of the free travel benefits while I'm there - since I'm only on one shift a week, I'll have plenty of time to spare. :wink:

However. Before I A) set my expectations too high or B) make an idiot of myself, I wanted to make sure that it's actually ok to do so - make sure it's not an unspoken rule or frowned upon to take more than a couple trips a year.

Thanks for your help!

J
---------- ADS -----------

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Is it actually OK to use the "free" flights on a regular basis?

Post by aerobod »

jvooste wrote:Hey there Westjetters! I'm so excited to be joining your ranks for the summer season - it's my first foray into the airline industry.

Anyhow, since it's almost certain that my contract is only temporary, I fully intend on taking advantage of the free travel benefits while I'm there - since I'm only on one shift a week, I'll have plenty of time to spare. :wink:

However. Before I A) set my expectations too high or B) make an idiot of myself, I wanted to make sure that it's actually ok to do so - make sure it's not an unspoken rule or frowned upon to take more than a couple trips a year.

Thanks for your help!

J
As long as your trip is for pleasure, not related to any business you may be involved with on the side, flying as much standby as you want is fine, as long as you don't turn up for work tired or late. With a bit of practice you will learn which are the best flights to take and which should be avoided if you don't want to be stranded and/or have to buy a confirmed seat to get home. You do have to pay the relevant taxes on a flight, typically somewhere from Calgary such as Las Vegas will be about $90 return for taxes and fees, London Gatwick is about $200 and Toronto about $70.

jvooste
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jvooste »

aerobod wrote: As long as your trip is for pleasure, not related to any business you may be involved with on the side, flying as much standby as you want is fine, as long as you don't turn up for work tired or late. With a bit of practice you will learn which are the best flights to take and which should be avoided if you don't want to be stranded and/or have to buy a confirmed seat to get home. You do have to pay the relevant taxes on a flight, typically somewhere from Calgary such as Las Vegas will be about $90 return for taxes and fees, London Gatwick is about $200 and Toronto about $70.
Thanks so much! This is helpful. :)

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

WestJet has seasonal flying now?? Or is this an office gig?

jvooste
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jvooste »

infiniteregulus wrote:WestJet has seasonal flying now?? Or is this an office gig?
I have no idea what usually happens, as this is my first go-around, but from what I'm told they're adding a bunch of flights at the Hamilton airport for the summer-ish season. They just hired 10-ish of us to help cover this period.

Return to “WestJet”