WestJet To Launch ULCC

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: WestJet To Launch ULCC

Post by .80@410 »

The only people currently making this adversarial is management and the WJPA with their "voice of management " fear mongering.

Alpa has been nothing but professional .

Encore won't lose their one list ( Management can't attract pilots without it- they want it more than the pilots do, lol )

And seniority won't happen. No one wants it or even talks about it online. But hey, use whatever tools you have right ?

:mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

Just callin it like it is.
True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

.80@410 wrote:The only people currently making this adversarial is management and the WJPA with their "voice of management " fear mongering.

Encore won't lose their one list ( Management can't attract pilots without it- they want it more than the pilots do, lol )

And seniority won't happen. No one wants it or even talks about it online. But hey, use whatever tools you have right ?

So is it you or is it ALPA that says your current agreement has no legal status?

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Smitty »

.80@410 wrote:The only people currently making this adversarial is management and the WJPA with their "voice of management " fear mongering.

All I've seen you guys do is dismiss anyone who disagrees with going ALPA is dismiss the messengers. This is known as the weakest form of argument and indicates an inability to articulate a decent rebuttal.

This is discussed on the line. It is a concern for those who may be negatively effected. The seniority bidding is brought up up due to the fact that few, if any ALPA carriers utilize socialized bidding (fact). Either no one brings it up because they know how strongly you will oppose them or you're just not listening.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

How can ALPA promise the one list which would have non-bargaining unit members join the list above existing dues paying members. How could they even try to negotiate that when the MEC doesn't represent Encore pilots?

The answer is simple: they can't.

And again, how can an MEC violate Executive Board policy?

The answer is simple: they can't.

ALPA will bring many things to WestJet pilots. Unity is not one of them.

Cheers

Nwtflier
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nwtflier »

Encore will be ALPA if mainline is.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

That's nice but the duty of the MEC is to its bargaining unit members. Constitutionally it must protect the rights of the last member of the bargaining unit versus giving a new hire to WestJet (From.Encore or not) a higher position on the list.

No matter how you slice it, with ALPA, the Encore pilots will be joining at the BOTL.

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

Rotten Apple #1 wrote:
rudder wrote:
Rotten Apple #1 wrote:
In unity, your comrade,

Felix
Apparently you may be one of the subscribers to the notion that employers should be able to use pilot pay as a competitive tool. Hopefully you and people that think like you will remain in the minority.

It would certainly appear that the majority of the WJ pilots are about to take the first step of taking that corporate strategy off the table. Hopefully ACPA will do the same and resist offers to expand the Rouge b-scale pilot population of the AC pilot seniority list.

Employers have every right to add seats, create brands, and charge extra for carry on bags or advance seat selection if that is their chosen tactic for preserving or increasing market share. But they should NOT rely on pilots agreeing to fly cheaper in order to achieve this objective.
Oh how cute you are mr. rudder. I'm just amazed there exist gullible people like you after the experience in the 20th century that saw the complete dispelling of any notion of centrally planned economies making any sense. We are competitive beings. We are not by nature communists. Why compete for anything if there is a specified wage or specified price for goods and services? By the way, what was the price you had in mind for the YYZ-LHR route? I assume all companies will charge the same under your belief system?

Pilots are no different from any other occupation in a market economy. People will either apply for the jobs at the advertised wage or they will not. By the same token, WJ will either employ pilots at its planned ULCC at its planned wages or it will not. Should the pilots decide to go with ALPA, I'm sure WJ has a back up plan to start its ULCC in the manner it has planned.

ALPA was in large part responsible for the run up in wages and benefits in the airline industry south of the border that eled to the cycle of bankruptcy and restart that plagued airlines in the 80's and later.

IF ALPA is successful, I'll watch from the sidelines. I won't be joining the union and I won't be walking a stike line but I'll glady cross it. I didn't get into aviation because of the brotherhood and I'm not going to start now. I don't care what intimidation tactics ALPA goons employ from blanket parties, whistles, or keying my 1998 Ford Explorer, and I don't care what the the reaction of my co-workers is. I was hired by WJ and I've been treated very well here and I believe in keeping my company nimble enough to react to market conditions in order to avoid the dung heap of obscalescence that is thre history of North American airlines.

WJ enabled me to make $370,000 in 2015 and in spite of a skydiving injury that had me off work for 4.5 months in 2016, I still made $302,000 plus 4.5 x $8000/month tax free. I'll keep what I have thank you very much. But if they do manage a CBA, I'm sure my seniority will have me making a bit less but working less than my junior colleagues and I'll have prime vacation off every year.

All hail the proletariat!

WestJet Scab #1
Employee #4799
Wow. That was a desperate post.

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

NewCommercialPilot wrote:Oh, so what, on an anonymous forum I'm supposed to be truthful? Where does it say that in the rule of internet posting.

It's a pattern: don't have a response to the argument, attack the poster.

Cheers!
You got busted. :lol:
At least create another login name fer eff sakes.

really?
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by really? »

First time. Long time. Thread drift.

Does a WJ guy really get paid 370K a year? Is that the norm? And over 300K in only 5.5 months of work? What are they paying these days? Asking for a friend who's tiring of the smog in the fragrant harbour...

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rotten Apple #1 »

What are you talking about?

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

NewCommercialPilot wrote:That's nice but the duty of the MEC is to its bargaining unit members. Constitutionally it must protect the rights of the last member of the bargaining unit versus giving a new hire to WestJet (From.Encore or not) a higher position on the list.
Do you have a reference to support this claim?

Unions are required to follow the mandate of what a majority of members direct them to do unless these infringe upon one of the enumerated grounds of of discrimination (race, gender, disability, age etc.). Any time a CBA gets negotiated there will be members of a group that do better than others. The ones who do 'worse' don't automatically have a recourse against the union if the union was just following its mandate.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

JBI wrote:
NewCommercialPilot wrote:That's nice but the duty of the MEC is to its bargaining unit members. Constitutionally it must protect the rights of the last member of the bargaining unit versus giving a new hire to WestJet (From.Encore or not) a higher position on the list.
Do you have a reference to support this claim?

Unions are required to follow the mandate of what a majority of members direct them to do unless these infringe upon one of the enumerated grounds of of discrimination (race, gender, disability, age etc.). Any time a CBA gets negotiated there will be members of a group that do better than others. The ones who do 'worse' don't automatically have a recourse against the union if the union was just following its mandate.
Heh, the difference between a guy who thinks he's a lawyer, and one who actually is....

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
hurtin'albertan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hurtin'albertan »

NewCommercialPilot wrote:Oh, so what, on an anonymous forum I'm supposed to be truthful? Where does it say that in the rule of internet posting.
Haha J. Why start being truthful now? Don't you see the irony in your statement compared to your carpet bombing of posting under various names? Why would anyone believe anything you say?

All this bs you have been spouting (one list, seniority) has been addressed a million times by alpa, straight from the horse's mouth, yet you persist in making the same inaccurate claims over and over to push your ideology and agenda. I guess if you yell something loud enough and often enough it becomes true in your own mind. Never mind what the actual facts say.

It's pretty clear you have an agenda (unlimited OT perhaps to pad your T4?) that you are worried will dry up if special deals go away once there is accountability and transparency. Where's the guy who said RUN DON'T WALK TO SIGN A CARD when his ass was on the line (you posted your story here, didn't you?)

This would be really funny if it wasn't also really sad.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Oh whatever.

I'll admit I overreacted back in the fall. My ego was bruised NY management doing their job.

Then I got over myself. You should to and stop being so sad.

See ya!

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

I have no skin in this fight to unionize at West Jet. I've read the doom and gloom along with the positive posts. I have been with CALPA and ALPA most of my career (which spans almost 3 decades), guess what, we are still here and thriving. I've survived 3 mergers, 2 bankruptcies' (not the pilot's fault) and we are still here. I heard the same rhetoric at Time Air when we voted for CALPA and we are still here.

Flyer

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Realitychex wrote:
Addendum: Like I said, AC rarely beats industry average in any metric that matters. By far the worst numbers of any publicly traded airline in North America. So much for the big turnaround.

8)
Well we know your opinion.

The share price has gone up over 30% this week. Here's another one.

http://business.financialpost.com/inves ... td-analyst

“In our view, Air Canada’s valuation remains very attractive based on any metric or comparison, particularly when considering its achievements over the past five years and its growth potential.”

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

Rotten Apple #1 wrote:What are you talking about?
RA1 - He is referring to someone in Hong Kong tiring of the Chinese pollution and looking to come back to Canada. I expect that his buddy flys for Cathay or similar. Fragrant Harbour is the old Chinese name for Hong Kong harbour. Check out PPRUNE and that's the name for the Cathay threads.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

TheStig wrote:
Realitychex wrote:
Addendum: Like I said, AC rarely beats industry average in any metric that matters. By far the worst numbers of any publicly traded airline in North America. So much for the big turnaround.

8)
Well we know your opinion.

The share price has gone up over 30% this week. Here's another one.

http://business.financialpost.com/inves ... td-analyst

“In our view, Air Canada’s valuation remains very attractive based on any metric or comparison, particularly when considering its achievements over the past five years and its growth potential.”
RealityChex is going to make WestJet great again!

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

hurtin'albertan wrote:
Haha J. Why start being truthful now? Don't you see the irony in your statement compared to your carpet bombing of posting under various names? Why would anyone believe anything you say?

All this bs you have been spouting (one list, seniority) has been addressed a million times by alpa, straight from the horse's mouth, yet you persist in making the same inaccurate claims over and over to push your ideology and agenda. I guess if you yell something loud enough and often enough it becomes true in your own mind. Never mind what the actual facts say.

It's pretty clear you have an agenda (unlimited OT perhaps to pad your T4?) that you are worried will dry up if special deals go away once there is accountability and transparency. Where's the guy who said RUN DON'T WALK TO SIGN A CARD when his ass was on the line (you posted your story here, didn't you?)

This would be really funny if it wasn't also really sad.
Hurtin' Albertam, I do work lots. And I'd say a sizeable proportion of that flying is as the Top WestJet IROP Recovery Pilot TWIRP, specializing in covering flights that need a Captain or they'd get cancelled. One of the benefits of being the TWIRP is I can afford time off to engage in fun activities like the one I did this morning, and that wasn't sad. It was fecking awesome:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XJaU0jGD4

Now go live your tragically boring life consumed with trying to find someone (WestJet?) responsible for your unhappiness.

See ya!

JS 4799

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

Done and done .
Thank god for that. :prayer:

Now, how to get my 20$/ per pay back that was wrestled from me months ago.
JS want to start a website for that? :rolleyes:

Contrarily, I will willingly be paying the dues for ALPA from here on out.

Next !

Just callin it like it is.

Return to “WestJet”