WestJet To Launch ULCC

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DanJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

WestJet To Launch ULCC

Post by DanJ »

WestJet announces intent to launch ultra-low-cost carrier

CALGARY, April 20, 2017 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced its intention to launch a new, ultra-low-cost carrier (ULCC) in Canada subject to agreement with its pilots and any required regulatory approvals. Service is expected to start in late 2017 with an initial fleet of 10 high-density Boeing 737-800s designed by the airline that first brought low-cost air travel to Canada in 1996. The ULCC will provide Canadians with no-frills, lower-cost travel options.

"We have built WestJet from its low-cost, regional roots into a renowned, international airline with service to 21 countries and today it's all about disrupting at the price-sensitive end of the market," said Clive Beddoe, co-founder of WestJet and Chair of the Board of the Directors. "Launching a ULCC will broaden WestJet's growth opportunities and open new market segments by offering more choice to those Canadians looking for lower fares."

"The worldview on low-cost airlines has changed since the launch of WestJet in 1996 and we are responding," commented Gregg Saretsky, WestJet President and CEO. "The complete unbundling of services and products in order to lower fares for the price-sensitive traveller has created the ULCC category and our new airline will provide Canadians a pro-competitive, cheap and cheerful flying experience from a company with a proven track record."
---------- ADS -----------

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: WestJet To Launch ULCC

Post by HansDietrich »

Oh man... The race to the bottom continues. How cheap have we become as Canadians? I'm no airline analyst but would something like this even survive in Canada? Didn't we have JetsGo, ZIP, Tango and some other names that tried and failed?

Das ist mir wurst...
PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

WestJet Pilots:

This is the time when you need to stand up and do what's right. You have the cards. You know what this means for your future wages and working conditions. You know what this means for your upgrade times, growth and job security. For the love of god, do all of us a favour, yourselves in particular, and don't allow this thing to happen.

PROC_HDG

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

In other words, westjet workers are too expensive now?

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

PROC_HDG wrote:WestJet Pilots:

This is the time when you need to stand up and do what's right. You have the cards. You know what this means for your future wages and working conditions. You know what this means for your upgrade times, growth and job security. For the love of god, do all of us a favour, yourselves in particular, and don't allow this thing to happen.

PROC_HDG
+1

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I wonder who they'll say the market is for this service?
Westjet is already the carrier of choice for the lowest yield, bottom of the market...

The answer is that it isn't about generating anything new. It's about an appearance of growth, while depressing wages on a maturing workforce.

I hope WS pilots see what rouge has done when they come for wage concessions... only ones working for a discount are the pilots... not dispatch, not maintenance, not agents, certainly not managers... leases cost the same, fuel, landing fees... they only come for pilot wages and division...

Tell them to put whatever configuration and service level they want in the back, but more seats = more pay.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

altiplano wrote:
Tell them to put whatever configuration and service level they want in the back, but more seats = more pay.
Paint jobs and seating configurations are the purview of senior management and the commercial planning department. But the pay for a 737-800 is the pay whether it is an executive BBJ config or O'Leary sardine configuration.

Both the WJ pilots and the AC pilots need to get on the same page with this.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

rudder wrote:
altiplano wrote:
Paint jobs and seating configurations are the purview of senior management and the commercial planning department. But the pay for a 737-800 is the pay whether it is an executive BBJ config or O'Leary sardine configuration.

Both the WJ pilots and the AC pilots need to get on the same page with this.

Yeah. That's part of it. The other part is how much you work per month. If I am expected to work 22 days a month I should be getting paid more than working 15 days per month (Disclaimer: "Days" = "Hours" & vice versa)

Das ist mir wurst...
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

HansDietrich wrote:
Yeah. That's part of it. The other part is how much you work per month. If I am expected to work 22 days a month I should be getting paid more than working 15 days per month (Disclaimer: "Days" = "Hours" & vice versa)
At least ACPA capped that issue. Max 16 work days with min pay guarantee of 77.5

Not perfect but better than what you described.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

The way I see this unfolding, is the ENCORE pilot group will be given these seats. WJ will sell it to the WJPA group saying that these 10 aircraft were to be returned to the lease holders. So a win win for both groups....unless wages and working conditions are factored in.
Cheers.

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

Pilots in Canada need to start uniting and put an end to this BS. The only ones benefiting from this crap is the Executive Teams. Corporate greed is killing North America.
Fellow WestJet pilots. Sign a card please.
Love to see AC join ALPA once we do.
For the record I am pretty sure WJ pilots will vote this down, but of course this will mean nothing as the Company will go ahead anyway.
Embarrassed to be a WJ pilot today

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

3down&loct wrote:Pilots in Canada need to start uniting and put an end to this BS. The only ones benefiting from this crap is the Executive Teams. Corporate greed is killing North America.
Fellow WestJet pilots. Sign a card please.
Love to see AC join ALPA once we do.
For the record I am pretty sure WJ pilots will vote this down, but of course this will mean nothing as the Company will go ahead anyway.
Embarrassed to be a WJ pilot today
I love the hysteria. :roll:

Since there are no details at all yet, why is it you assume the worst and the release I read said the whole thing is contingent on an agreement with the pilots. How would being represented by ALPA change anything?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

True North wrote:How would being represented by ALPA change anything?
WJPA puppets replaced. Certified bargaining agent with Constitution and By-Laws. Professional resources. Elected representatives. Provisions of the Federal Labour Code for conciliation and right to strike.

mike06x
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mike06x »

PROC_HDG wrote:WestJet Pilots:

PROC_HDG

Westjet pilots need to take a stand, DO NOT allow this to happen

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

rudder wrote:
WJPA puppets replaced. Certified bargaining agent with Constitution and By-Laws. Professional resources. Elected representatives. Provisions of the Federal Labour Code for conciliation and right to strike.
I'm pretty sure the WJPA officials are elected so, puppets? I'm also pretty sure they have a Constitution and By-Laws so really all they are missing is the right to strike. The feds didn't let the Air Canada pilots strike, what makes you think they would let the WJ pilots strike? If it ever got to that point everyone has lost anyway.

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

True North wrote:
rudder wrote:
I'm pretty sure the WJPA officials are elected so, puppets? I'm also pretty sure they have a Constitution and By-Laws so really all they are missing is the right to strike. The feds didn't let the Air Canada pilots strike, what makes you think they would let the WJ pilots strike? If it ever got to that point everyone has lost anyway.

Elected to positions that were never voted on by the pilots as "representation by choice". The people were voted on, the organization never was. And as for constitution and by-laws, things like that don't typically stand up in court when they're written on a napkin. Fellow WJ pilots, IT'S TIME. It has been for a while now.

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

Good news with the bad :D .
Cards are filed!!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Meanwhile back at the airport, the travelling public will probably think great news, cheaper fares. My arse!!!!!!

:lol: :lol:

eliteair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eliteair »

WestJet Pilots Seek ALPA Representation

WASHINGTON, D.C.—WestJet pilots filed membership cards today with the Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB) to hold an election for representation by the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA).

“WestJet pilots told us they are ready for a certified union,” said ALPA president Capt. Tim Canoll. “Now is the time for them to take the next step and vote for ALPA in order to obtain the resources available to secure their goals.”
- See more at: http://www.alpa.org/news-and-events/new ... d9ieI.dpuf

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

A great step towards unifying the pilot group in Canada.
Ultimately after WJ certifies it would be great to see AC join and perhaps Sunwing, who I understand initially did want ALPA.
The spiral downwards needs to end.
I do not see Delta,United, SW nor American going broke because their pilots are paid to much and worked to hard.

Return to “WestJet”