WJ Pilots seek ALPA unionization vote

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

WJ Pilots seek ALPA unionization vote

Post by CanadianEh »

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/we ... 04603.html

WASHINGTON, April 20, 2017 /CNW/ - WestJet pilots filed membership cards today with the Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB) to hold an election for representation by the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA).

"WestJet pilots told us they are ready for a certified union," said ALPA president Capt. Tim Canoll. "Now is the time for them to take the next step and vote for ALPA in order to obtain the resources available to secure their goals."

In the next few weeks, the CIRB will verify the membership cards and schedule an ALPA representation vote. ALPA expects that the secret-ballot election will be conducted in May.

"WestJet pilots have demonstrated the pilot unity needed to certify a union on the property, and we believe WestJet pilots will be successful in their election for ALPA representation," Canoll said. "The WestJet pilots work for a profitable and productive company, and with the vast resources available through ALPA representation, they will begin the process to legally negotiate the terms of their employment and establish a collective bargaining agreement under the Canada Labour Code that other union-represented aviation groups in Canada enjoy today."

ALPA Canada president Capt. Dan Adamus added, "WestJet pilots play a crucial role in the success of their airline and we look forward to their contributions to advancing success with ALPA as we work together to achieve our mutual objectives."

Founded in 1931, ALPA is the world's largest pilot union, representing more than 55,000 pilots at 32 airlines in the United States and Canada, including the flightcrew members who fly for Air Georgian, Air Transat, Bearskin, Calm Air, Canadian North, First Air, Jazz Aviation, Kelowna Flightcraft, and Wasaya. Visit the ALPA website at www.alpa.org or follow us on Twitter @WeAreALPA.

SOURCE Air Line Pilots Association, Intl
---------- ADS -----------

FenceSitter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: WJ Pilots seek ALPA unionization vote

Post by FenceSitter »

I suspect this vote will result in unionization of the pilots at WestJet. It would seem that the chatter would indicate a higher level of support for this attempt. This would be, in my opinion, the first domino which would soon after be followed up by FA unionization (those concessions have to come from somewhere). All the best in the vote. I would hope that intimidation doesn't play into this vote as it very well may have last time. After PRAC, WJPA 'reformation', and the time elapsed since the last vote it would appear that WestJet has played itself into a corner and certification is the only reasonable outcome.
On a side note, I saw the picture of PB and GC with Mike Duffy. Not really the sort of politician to hitch a wagon to IMO. How could that picture possibly be seen as a positive....just google the guy. That was not very smart at all.

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

"on a side note, I saw the picture of PB and GC with Mike Duffy. Not really the sort of politician to hitch a wagon to IMO. How could that picture possibly be seen as a positive....just google the guy. That was not very smart at all. "

Well, when you hop in bed with a Senator you have to at least let him have a picture. :)

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

I wonder: When they get on with ALPA and negotiate a contract, will they (still) have to clean gum off the seats, in between flights...?

Das ist mir wurst...
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I'm with ALPA and whenever I can I go back and help the fa's groom the cabin if that's what your referring too.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Also with ALPA and I help cross seat belts when I can to help the F/As.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I will always go back to help the FA's if there are no groomers at that specific station and if I have time. Most of the time they say don't worry about it, but I do a few anyways. The expectation isn't there, but I find the offer to help is always appreciated. ALPA has nothing to do with it. There will always be people who will do the absolute minimum required in their job regardless of if they are unionized or not.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Black_Tusk wrote:I will always go back to help the FA's if there are no groomers at that specific station and if I have time. Most of the time they say don't worry about it, but I do a few anyways. The expectation isn't there, but I find the offer to help is always appreciated. ALPA has nothing to do with it. There will always be people who will do the absolute minimum required in their job regardless of if they are unionized or not.

+1

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

If I may(not being a WJ employee), what are the burning issues that are driving this ALPA certification process It(certification)isn't the first attempt by the WJ pilots so there has to be something going down in order to start this drive yet again. There has to be some discontent, it stands to reason outside of some small group of shit- disturbers. So enlighten us, since this is a public forum and the topic(union) has been brought up and commented upon.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

Old fella wrote:If I may(not being a WJ employee), what are the burning issues that are driving this ALPA certification process It(certification)isn't the first attempt by the WJ pilots so there has to be something going down in order to start this drive yet again. There has to be some discontent, it stands to reason outside of some small group of shit- disturbers. So enlighten us, since this is a public forum and the topic(union) has been brought up and commented upon.
I've been asking that question for over a year now. Still haven't got a straight answer.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I'm not a WJ pilot but as a pilot with a vested interest in the next 20 years, I've seen a degradation in working conditions and comments from Saretsky about how he can just unilaterally change the conditions without consent. Before anyone asks, I'm not going to sift through the news articles from a few years ago to find his quote but I'm sure most WJ Pilots remember it.
Loss of ports was a big one, bases probably the next one, the Encore snow job and most recently, I'm sure this will have the opposite effect intended by the head shed, the announcement of a start up ULCC would have me running into ALPA's arms.
Perhaps, the intent is to have it up and running before ALPA takes office, this move could be and should be viewed as union busting, on some level, at the least, interference of the right to unionize.
Just a bystanders viewpoint, I'm sure some WJetters can add to that

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

mbav8r wrote:I'm not a WJ pilot but as a pilot with a vested interest in the next 20 years, I've seen a degradation in working conditions and comments from Saretsky about how he can just unilaterally change the conditions without consent. Before anyone asks, I'm not going to sift through the news articles from a few years ago to find his quote but I'm sure most WJ Pilots remember it.
Loss of ports was a big one, bases probably the next one, the Encore snow job and most recently, I'm sure this will have the opposite effect intended by the head shed, the announcement of a start up ULCC would have me running into ALPA's arms.
Perhaps, the intent is to have it up and running before ALPA takes office, this move could be and should be viewed as union busting, on some level, at the least, interference of the right to unionize.
Just a bystanders viewpoint, I'm sure some WJetters can add to that
If those are the reasons then it is truly sad. I never saw whatever you are referring to regarding Saretsky's comment but even if he said something like that, it's not true. And how many times has it happened?

Loss of ports and bases were business decisions. No union could have stopped them. People need to get over that and move on.

Not sure what the Encore snow job was but it was voted on by the pilots, no?

ALPA can't prevent them starting a ULCC either.

Where's the upside?

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

A really good magazine

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

True North wrote:I've been asking that question for over a year now. Still haven't got a straight answer.
Sort of how I have been asking who it is you worked for, and why you seem so invested in something you say doesn't impact you? Yet you can't seem to give a straight answer... hmmm

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

truedude wrote:
True North wrote:I've been asking that question for over a year now. Still haven't got a straight answer.
Sort of how I have been asking who it is you worked for, and why you seem so invested in something you say doesn't impact you? Yet you can't seem to give a straight answer... hmmm
Yeah, that's totally the same thing.

Except I have posted my history and my interest in WestJet here before. If you're too lazy to look for it that's not my problem. I'm not going to waste my time or the bandwidth posting it again. Certainly not for the likes of you.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Congrats.

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

Where the Encore Pilots part of the vote and if not what happens to them? Absorption into ALPA or perhaps to operate the new wide bodies?

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Will the WJ Encore pilots vote to join their brethren? Will they nurture a crippled WJPA back to health? Or will everything descend into chaos and endless bickering?! Be sure to tune in next week!!!

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Do the Encore pilot still carry their DOH over to WJ with them??

Return to “WestJet”