WestJet to Purchase 787's

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

WestJet to Purchase 787's

Post by complexintentions »

Thought I'd put it in it's own thread...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e34871959/
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: WestJet to Purchase 787's

Post by mato »

Great news for WS. Excited to see this happen, and curious what new routes we may see.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Congrats to WJ, I am sure they will do quite well in the International long haul market.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

"Now pilots... unionize and the 87s are off the table for you and will be run by a non-union workforce similar to Encore." ;)

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Good news for everyone at WJ.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Actual pilot numbers are going down, No?
Ordered 10 787's, and changed 15 737 confirmed orders into options. Ergo, 5 less fins overall and less pilots overall.
A 787 heading to Europe only needs 2 pilots ( under the current contact ) to operate 8-10 hours. And 2 more to return a few hours later. So, as near as I can tell, that is 4 pilots per 24 hours. A 737, with the current contract and route structure, probably needs 6 pilots per 24 hour period. So, as far as overall pilot numbers are concerned, the cancelling of these 737 confirmed orders with the 787 order, is an actual NET LOSS of overall pilot numbers required at WJ.
Perhaps some of the enthusiasm should be tempered if one is not yet on the property, or if one is looking to upgrade soon.
Anyways, have a cheery day in WJ land..
Cheers.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Going down? Ummmm don't think so.

gasbag1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gasbag1 »

The wording of the announcement is interesting. Boeing has not announced anything. Usually they are out on every social media site announcing an order like this. Confirmed orders are always announced, so why not this one...

Good news but more information is required.

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

tailgunner wrote:Actual pilot numbers are going down, No?
Ordered 10 787's, and changed 15 737 confirmed orders into options. Ergo, 5 less fins overall and less pilots overall.
A 787 heading to Europe only needs 2 pilots ( under the current contact ) to operate 8-10 hours. And 2 more to return a few hours later. So, as near as I can tell, that is 4 pilots per 24 hours. A 737, with the current contract and route structure, probably needs 6 pilots per 24 hour period. So, as far as overall pilot numbers are concerned, the cancelling of these 737 confirmed orders with the 787 order, is an actual NET LOSS of overall pilot numbers required at WJ.
Perhaps some of the enthusiasm should be tempered if one is not yet on the property, or if one is looking to upgrade soon.
Anyways, have a cheery day in WJ land..
Cheers.
From a highly credible source, WS needs 4-7 more 737 tails (Dec 2016 amount) to feed 20 787s. To reduce future capital spending in the early 2020s, WestJet will hold on to the NGs longer as the average fleet age is approx 7.5years.

As a rule of thumb, 10 crews per wide body aircraft.

Net gain for WS pilots.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

gasbag1 wrote:The wording of the announcement is interesting. Boeing has not announced anything. Usually they are out on every social media site announcing an order like this. Confirmed orders are always announced, so why not this one...

Because they must get the news out before the union vote?

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Transonic,
the required uplift of 4-7 737 to feed 20 787's actually breaks down to 2-3.5 for the 10 confirmed 787 orders. Furthermore, the change in status of future 737 deliveries from 'confirmed' to 'options'does not lead me to believe that WJ mainline will be counted on to "feed" the 787's. Does not Encore have 15 more DHC400's to be delivered? In my estimation, that is exactly where the feed growth for the 787's will be seen. I estimate that the current fleet of 737's will remain static in number at best, or even reduce in number, while Encore will grow.
But just my 2 cents.....
Further questions need to be asked of the WJPA and WJ management.
Cheers.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

tailgunner wrote:Transonic,
the required uplift of 4-7 737 to feed 20 787's actually breaks down to 2-3.5 for the 10 confirmed 787 orders. Furthermore, the change in status of future 737 deliveries from 'confirmed' to 'options'does not lead me to believe that WJ mainline will be counted on to "feed" the 787's. Does not Encore have 15 more DHC400's to be delivered? In my estimation, that is exactly where the feed growth for the 787's will be seen. I estimate that the current fleet of 737's will remain static in number at best, or even reduce in number, while Encore will grow.
But just my 2 cents.....
Further questions need to be asked of the WJPA and WJ management.
Cheers.
No need to ask WJ management about the fleet plans, it is public information. The latest fleet plan is on P21 of the quarterly report here, including all the MAX deliveries and 787s: https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-web/d ... Report.pdf

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

gasbag1 wrote:The wording of the announcement is interesting. Boeing has not announced anything. Usually they are out on every social media site announcing an order like this. Confirmed orders are always announced, so why not this one...

There is a pic of a Deamliner on the boeing.com website... is that proof enough for ya? :lol:

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
DanJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DanJ »

twinpratts wrote:

There is a pic of a Deamliner on the boeing.com website... is that proof enough for ya? :lol:
And there's a press release there too.

gasbag1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gasbag1 »

I see the Boeing announcement as a commitment, not a firm order. My question is a what is a commitment these days? Is it you can announce but money must be paid by X date or some other requirement.

Return to “WestJet”