Will JAZZ pilots have a higher seniority vs Encore?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Will JAZZ pilots have a higher seniority vs Encore?

Post by leftoftrack »

Someone told me all Jazz pilots automatically place new hires from other ALPA companies at the front of the seniority for that class. Is that true, is that a ALPA rule?
---------- ADS -----------

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Will JAZZ pilots have a higher seniority vs Encore?

Post by Maxpwr »

Yes I believe Jazz does that but they started doing that after I left. It is not an ALPA thing, it's a Jazz ALPA thing. Each MEC can run things how they want to and I guess this is one example. And besides like you said it's only affecting seniority within your class. I believe they wanted to recognize service from their ALPA brothers coming from other shops. No word of anything like that at WJ.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Do ALPA pilots go to the front of the class at Air Canada?

ThatFliGuyDerr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ThatFliGuyDerr »

You guys are wrong. If a pilot previously hired at a ALPA company comes to Jazz they just get first pick and seniority in the ground school class they come in. For example if there is a class of 20 people. And 3 are from ALPA company's. Out of those three they find out who has been a member longer. Those three people would be allowed to select from the bases and types provided first. But in the company's master list they would be near the bottom. For example put of 1400 pilots they would be 1380.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Isn't that what they said?

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Jimmy2 wrote:Do ALPA pilots go to the front of the class at Air Canada?
Why would they? AC is ACPA not ALPA ;)

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

From what I've heard, ACPA is in talks with ALPA. There may be 1 union representing all regional and mainline carriers yet.

Monorail Conductor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Monorail Conductor »

Why would AC consider seeking alpa representation?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

ACPA and ALPA are friendly and have similar values and goals. Why not merge and pool resources? I personally don't think it's a good idea, but I can see why some would.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

So does anyone know if ALPA pilots coming in move to the front of their class for seniority. Or is this still up in the air?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

There's an ALPA drive starting at Encore now too. The answer to your question will probably become moot once the dust settles.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

This outta begood. Unless I misunderstand this thread, we have someone asking if their ALPA status will give them a higher seniority at WJ than an Encore pilot who currently has a promise he will carry over his Encore start date for seniority purposes when he flows over to WestJet. Of course the OTS pilots from elsewhere than Jazz and Encore might have an opinion on this too. But wait, there's more! The ULCC pilots joining WJ.

Dust settling? Ya, ok. Certification has opened Pandora's cubic shaped container.

(More incentive for me to remain a non-ALPA member so I can honestly say, "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for the deal!')

If you're looking for me, I have the next month off and I'll be ripping the skies overhead Rochelle, Illinois in one of three brand new wingsuits.

Captain Awesome

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

That's right. That's like 400 spots an off the street higher can jump, and if you can make it 20 more, why Not?

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

NewCommercialPilot wrote:This outta begood. Unless I misunderstand this thread, we have someone asking if their ALPA status will give them a higher seniority at WJ than an Encore pilot who currently has a promise he will carry over his Encore start date for seniority purposes when he flows over to WestJet. Of course the OTS pilots from elsewhere than Jazz and Encore might have an opinion on this too. But wait, there's more! The ULCC pilots joining WJ.

Dust settling? Ya, ok. Certification has opened Pandora's cubic shaped container.

(More incentive for me to remain a non-ALPA member so I can honestly say, "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for the deal!')

If you're looking for me, I have the next month off and I'll be ripping the skies overhead Rochelle, Illinois in one of three brand new wingsuits.

Captain Awesome
ROTFLMAO!

That's ok, you go ahead and remain "non-ALPA" for now but we'll be happy to take your dues anyway when that time comes.

As to the question posed...he's not insinuating that an ALPA off the street HIRE (ahem) jump seniority over an Encore guy that ALREADY has a number. That would be impossible. The only thing this would apply to would be towards the remaining seniority spots after Encore in each groundschool. Very weak attempt at trying to stir the pot John. Is it possible that you're simply distraught by the business as usual atmosphere since the vote? Does it bother you that the world didn't implode since ALPA got voted in? All is calm on the Westjetern front. Move along.

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

NewCommercialPilot wrote:This outta begood.

Captain Awesome
But unwittingly she, overcome with curiosity, opened it and all the contents flew out. Pandora hastened to replace the lid! But, alas! The whole contents of the jar had escaped, one thing only excepted, which lay at the bottom, and that was hope.

Captain Awesome ? Really ? Gimme a break.

Just callin it like it is.
PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

NewCommercialPilot wrote: If you're looking for me, I have the next month off and I'll be ripping the skies overhead Rochelle, Illinois in one of three brand new wingsuits.

Captain Awesome
Nobody gives a F@CK

PROC_HDG

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

PROC_HDG wrote:
NewCommercialPilot wrote: If you're looking for me, I have the next month off and I'll be ripping the skies overhead Rochelle, Illinois in one of three brand new wingsuits.

Captain Awesome
Nobody gives a F@CK

PROC_HDG

Well today is race day. I think my chances of finishing very high in the speed round are pretty limited as the competitors are quite experienced. As a side note, 6 of the 13 wingsuit pilots are Canadian.

Now back to the seniority issue and Encore etc: I am hearing rumours of a common employer action that Encore (should they go ALPA I presume) may undertake with respect to WestJet mainline. The WJPA (now representing Encore pilots only) have been down to Herndon and they did inherit some $500K when mainline went ALPA, so presumably this would fund lawyers for a bit.

The point being anyone prognosticating about seniority numbers and/or Encore/W mainline/ULCC is just talking out of their butt. But this is the stuff that airline careers are made of.

Okay, back to put my game face on. I'm going to need to hit at least 270 kph today on several runs, wrapped up in some nylon, if I want a shot at a top 5 finish. Doubtful, but we all have dreams.

Ciao

Captain So Incredibly Awesome

http://wingsuitrace.org/results

livinlife
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by livinlife »

I don't think thats how it works....I was an OTS and was way ahead of the Jazz guys in my class.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

The reason guys coming to Jazz have higher seniority if they were from a previous ALPA carrier is because we have a negotiated LOU in our contract.

Each groundschool we do a seniority lottery. If there are people from another alpa carrier, they get the first spots in the class. Those spots are determined by YOS at that carrier. The remaining spots are drawn from a hat.

I suppose that with WestJet being alpa now, they could do this, but itwoukd be up to them to negotiate. As far as I know, it has nothing to do with any alpa policy.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

NewCommercialPilot wrote:
PROC_HDG wrote:

Captain Awesome
Nobody gives a F@CK

PROC_HDG

Well today is race day. I think my chances of finishing very high in the speed round are pretty limited as the competitors are quite experienced. As a side note, 6 of the 13 wingsuit pilots are Canadian.

Okay, back to put my game face on. I'm going to need to hit at least 270 kph today on several runs, wrapped up in some nylon, if I want a shot at a top 5 finish. Doubtful, but we all have dreams.

Ciao

Captain So Incredibly Awesome

http://wingsuitrace.org/results
:smt078

Return to “WestJet”