WJ Pilot Training Video?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

WJ Pilot Training Video?

Post by groundpilot »

---------- ADS -----------

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: WJ Pilot Training Video?

Post by moe »

Of course it's real. We like it.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Well, that is something else I tell you whut...

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

The video says if you're on business travel they expect you to groom the plane at the end? Surely this doesn't apply to deadheading crew?

I would hope you aren't expected to stay behind unpaid at the end of a 12 hour day and pick up some snot nosed kids' crushed up cheerios?

YesMassaPayson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YesMassaPayson »

Wow

Attachments
wj.jpg
wj.jpg (95.38 KiB) Viewed 5418 times
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

Slightly horrifying

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Reminds me of Rod Canion (Compaq CEO) doing that lovely rap video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6M0dxWDOo

I think it was less than a year after they made that video that the company nosedived into the ground.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

I think I'll withdraw my application.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

Anybody who takes themselves too seriously won't be too happy at WestJet. Cheesy videos with exec participation are part of the culture:
https://youtu.be/x8lvuZHkzFY
https://youtu.be/825w_Ehbvx0
https://youtu.be/_f1tidZgOnU
https://youtu.be/rvuR5ZU8wLQ

Every employee must groom the aircraft whether they are on business or pleasure travel (execs are not exempt). From a cost saving perspective, it is worth several percent of every employees wage, the profit sharing pool would be tens of millions less without this employee participation if cleaning crews had to be paid to come on to every flight. On any given flight the non-crew employees usually have half the aircraft groomed before the crew can turn their attention to grooming and usually everyone is finished less than 5 minutes after the last guest leaves the aircraft. Terminating flights aren't groomed in this way, neither are messes that need more attention or 767 flights. Also the execs are expected to serve drinks and collect garbage as well as interacting with guests and crew when they are on any WestJet flight.

If grooming is a problem for an employee, especially if they think it is below them, then they likely won't be employed very long, if they are continually being written up by CCMs.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I am happy to help FA's groom at outstations if I have time and flight related duties are taken care of. But by no means would I ever want to be forced to do it, especially if I was commuting home after a long pairing.

But I guess I am just entitled.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

From a WestJet employee perspective, not planning the grooming into a journey is bad planning. Employees on business may be arriving after 16 hours of work and travel. Employees travelling with family know to have the SO and kids wait in the gate area or head towards customs while you finish grooming and catch them up. Just a matter of proper planning. If there are tight connections to catch another flight, then one can ask the operating crew to be excused

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

What about other airline employees on a recip jumpseat ticket commuting in uniform for work? Are they expected to groom as well? I've always happily crossed my seatbelt and left no trace of my existence behind. But is anything beyond that expected? At the risk of sounding entitled. I paid for that seat, and we don't expect anyone to groom our aircraft. That's what groomers are for.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:What about other airline employees on a recip jumpseat ticket commuting in uniform for work? Are they expected to groom as well? I've always happily crossed my seatbelt and left no trace of my existence behind. But is anything beyond that expected? At the risk of sounding entitled. I paid for that seat, and we don't expect anyone to groom our aircraft. That's what groomers are for.
No. Grooming is an employee activity.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

Pay full fare for a ticket, no grooming theoretically required (but I would still groom to help out). Any other discounted employee ticket requires grooming to be done. There are dedicated cleaning crews for when flight-turn grooming is not enough.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

If you can bring yourself to watch that horrendous video to the end, it makes it clear only employees are to groom aircraft.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

That was painful to watch.

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

It's what separates the owners (team players) from the entitled (it's not about us, it's all about me).
I for one choose to be an owner.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Black_Tusk wrote:I am happy to help FA's groom at outstations if I have time and flight related duties are taken care of. But by no means would I ever want to be forced to do it, especially if I was commuting home after a long pairing.

But I guess I am just entitled.
I wouldn't say you're entitled, I'm sure many WJ pilots would agree with you. The question to ask yourself is would you rather have an extra few hundred dollars at the end of the year after having helped groom, or not. The answer very well may be "no" and there's nothing wrong with that. It may be that after a new CBA, this requirement gets removed (or not). Also of note - any major clean ups involving liquids or bodily fluids are not handled by flight crew. It's made quite clear to potential WestJetters that grooming is expected (with certain exceptions as outlined previously).

Return to “WestJet”