WJ Pilot Training Video?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: WJ Pilot Training Video?

Post by Black_Tusk »

This site is so hypocritical. On one end people post and talk endlessly about raising the bar for pilots in the industry. Increasing WAWCON etc.

But here we have posters defending a multi billion dollar company who won't pay to have groomers and requires their employees, either on duty or not, to do the job. What do you get out of it? A few extra hundred bucks over the year? A thousand? Do you think all the money saved from not having groomers goes into profit share?
---------- ADS -----------

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

atphat wrote:
aerobod wrote:
'97 Tercel wrote:It's not cheesy and cool.

It's embarrassing.
Some people are easily embarrassed, I suppose. You won't find many people at WestJet that embarrass easily.
Really? I know a few WJ folk. They despise the practice. Only do it because they have to. Part of the job... blah blah. Don't get me wrong, if I worked there I would of course do it because I would have to but please, don't pretend like you talk for all "owners".
The estimated amount of money saved by employee grooming is equivalent to approximately 25% of the profit share payout in an average year, that is equivalent to about 3% of salary. I don't personally know of any WestJetters who would give up 3% of their salary for not grooming, once they understand the impact.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Fun stats but doesn't change the fact that the video is ridiculous.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

'97 Tercel wrote:Fun stats but doesn't change the fact that the video is ridiculous.
Of course it is meant to be ridiculous, but if it wasn't, nobody would be talking about it, so the grooming message would be less impactful.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

From what I understand WJ and WJE crews can commute for free so I'm sure 5 mins of grooming is worth the free commute.

Buckfifty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Buckfifty »

aerobod wrote:
atphat wrote:
aerobod wrote: Some people are easily embarrassed, I suppose. You won't find many people at WestJet that embarrass easily.
Really? I know a few WJ folk. They despise the practice. Only do it because they have to. Part of the job... blah blah. Don't get me wrong, if I worked there I would of course do it because I would have to but please, don't pretend like you talk for all "owners".
The estimated amount of money saved by employee grooming is equivalent to approximately 25% of the profit share payout in an average year, that is equivalent to about 3% of salary. I don't personally know of any WestJetters who would give up 3% of their salary for not grooming, once they understand the impact.
I fully understand the impact.

First time poster here and I couldn't help myself but to chime in after seeing this thread. Grooming, especially by uniformed pilots, is an utter embarrassment to our profession. This is not the matter of "it's below me", it's a matter of professional conduct by someone who is (supposed to be) regarded as a highly skilled professional in the public eye. This whole "we take our jobs seriously but not ourselves" nonesense is complete crap if you ask me. You are in command of a multi million dollar aircraft along with hundreds of lives. Act professional. Being bent over at row 15 with rubber gloves on picking up garbage is the last thing an airline pilot should do.

Wake up people. Have some respect for the profession.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

So should change their recruitment slogan to read "Westjet: where pilots groom the planes, and sometimes even get to fly them!"

While I have no skin in the game, I have a lot of peers who work there and every one of them I've surveyed would gladly give up a couple bucks a year to not have to groom.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

My profit sharing cheque, as a lowly year one FO at AC was over $8300 after taxes.

We hire professional groomers who do a great job. I'm much happier with this arrangement...

anonymity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by anonymity »

Sorry, couldn't resist this

Attachments
Couldn't resist
Couldn't resist
IMG_0321.JPG (73.61 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

anonymity wrote:Sorry, couldn't resist this
Excellent! The sort of well-adjusted human being that WestJer needs, who doesn't look down on anyone or any task!

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

My God man you have overdose on the 'culture'. I hope you are still so ready to defend the company after the ULCC come.

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

Grooming sucks, but I do it. One thing I won't do though is groom while there are still passengers on the plane. That is the ultimate in bad optics.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

Jean-Pierre wrote:My God man you have overdose on the 'culture'. I hope you are still so ready to defend the company after the ULCC come.
I don't take myself seriously, but do take my job seriously - the only key tenet of the "culture". I like my job and have fun at work, the culture is just a reflection of the group sentiment at any point in time, so there isn't anything to "overdose" on.

The ULCC will be what it needs to be to meet market demand, an interesting development none the less. It will have a different culture, HQ and employees (with a few for start-up who are seconded from mainline for a set period to get things going) with no brand or operational link to WestJet, the relationship between ULCC and Mainline will not be like the relationship between Air Canada and Rouge.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

groundpilot wrote:My profit sharing cheque, as a lowly year one FO at AC was over $8300 after taxes.

We hire professional groomers who do a great job. I'm much happier with this arrangement...
Professional groomers? Only groomers are at 3 stations, everywhere else are ramp crews....

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

aerobod wrote:
Jean-Pierre wrote:My God man you have overdose on the 'culture'. I hope you are still so ready to defend the company after the ULCC come.
I don't take myself seriously, but do take my job seriously - the only key tenet of the "culture". I like my job and have fun at work, the culture is just a reflection of the group sentiment at any point in time, so there isn't anything to "overdose" on.

The ULCC will be what it needs to be to meet market demand, an interesting development none the less. It will have a different culture, HQ and employees (with a few for start-up who are seconded from mainline for a set period to get things going) with no brand or operational link to WestJet, the relationship between ULCC and Mainline will not be like the relationship between Air Canada and Rouge.
Your post seems to imply the you support the start up of a ULCC by your parent company?
Do you also support lower wages for the pilots to enable a successful launch of said airline?
Are you one of the original WJ pilots who undercut the rest of the narrow body pilots in NA, quite possibly anywhere?

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

mbav8r wrote:Are you one of the original WJ pilots who undercut the rest of the narrow body pilots in NA, quite possibly anywhere?
You mean the original pilots who are all multi-millionaires now? :roll:

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

mbav8r wrote:
aerobod wrote:

Your post seems to imply the you support the start up of a ULCC by your parent company?
Do you also support lower wages for the pilots to enable a successful launch of said airline?
Are you one of the original WJ pilots who undercut the rest of the narrow body pilots in NA, quite possibly anywhere?
If we don't start a ULCC, someone else will take the business - it is just a different product, that is why there will be no association between Mainline and ULCC from a marketing, sales, operations and branding perspective. If we do it, we can then coordinate with mainline on the routes and bases. Indigo Partners will dominate the ULCC market in Canada (as they have in other countries) if a defensive move isn't made now.

Wages will be appropriate to the market conditions (as with any free labour market) supply and demand will dictate them. I would look to US ULCCs to determine the dynamics of wages in North America. I don't think the overall compensation at any ULCC will be significantly different than at other airlines, but the mix of base and company performance related wages could be quite different. If the pilot availability is constrained, wages will increase. If wages increase and cause fares to increase (not just pilot wages, but across the board), then the market could stagnate, layoffs will happen and wages will shrink again until a balance is achieved (as has happened in the past).

I'm not a pilot, but I know a lot of the early pilots who are financially very well off, they have done very well from the free enterprise approach that Clive instilled in the company, as have many other WestJetters. It isn't all about "what's in it for me now", but how can we all do very well in the long term if we make this company successful.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

True North wrote:
mbav8r wrote:Are you one of the original WJ pilots who undercut the rest of the narrow body pilots in NA, quite possibly anywhere?
Yes, the ones who stepped on the heads of every other pilot to become those millionaires. It's funny how people can justify just about anything, carry on

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

mbav8r wrote:
True North wrote:
Yes, the ones who stepped on the heads of every other pilot to become those millionaires. It's funny how people can justify just about anything, carry on
Put down the bottle and back away from the keyboard.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Haha, are you the pot or the kettle?

Return to “WestJet”