Getting Swoop flying back to WJ pilots

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Getting Swoop flying back to WJ pilots

Post by True North »

indieadventurer wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:18 pm
True North wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:58 pm I'm confused. Has WestJet said they won't allow WJ pilots to apply to Swoop? Is it not ALPA that is "blacklisting" anyone who wants to fly for Swoop? If that is correct and no WJ pilots are applying to Swoop then it would seem to me the company has every right to hire off the street.
:roll:
That's a brilliant response. Do tell, what did I get wrong?
---------- ADS -----------

MrMerth
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MrMerth »

No positions have been offered to WS or WEN Pilots. Unless you count submitting an application Via the website as an internal posting....

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Truenorth,

The positions were never offered internally. The only knowledge we got internally was an email asking ALPA to remove the ban. Then the Swoop pilot job posting went up on the Swoop site the next day.
Exactly the same time a Westjet quarterly bid is running (0 hires, 0 upgrades), it opened prior to that and is still open. So it was not a particularly classy moment for WestJet.
As for NCP’s thread opening rant, I can only say the recent moves would only be strengthening the ALPA appetite with the pilot group.
NCP is right, there probably already was a pay scale and One list decided by WestJet management while we were under WJPA-I’m sure Swoop has been in their radar far longer than ours, it was thrown at the WJPA the same time it got released to the media.
I’m sure it was based on our current operating scale at Mainline, and a %35 discount working at Swoop. The only reason we aren’t patting ourselves on our backs for negotiating our same pay scales and maybe a 15% Swoop reduction is exactly that we switched to ALPA in the nick of time.
The fact that Dispatch, OCC, IT, maintenance, VP’s, (all mobile, competitive, in demand jobs) are all being paid WestJet rates as contractors shows that there is no reason they can’t just contract out the flight crew to Swoop also.

For all the Swoop applicants, if you can just sit on your hands for a bit, you could just fly the exact same Purple Highlighted Millennials express 737 for WestJet wages-so think about it, 2-3 months wait is a difference of about 20-30 thousand a year.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

While it's correct that there has been no internal posting there is nothing prevent current employees from applying. It has also been posted the current employees would keep the employee number and "seniority" position for vacation. Not sure if it applies to pay position, still some unknowns.

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Blue42 I have not seen that information anywhere in regards to vacation. I am sure I could apply to the website with anyone else off the street. There was no attempt made to forwarn they were opening up to hire for Swoop. It is apparent now in hindsight that the company never intended to use WestJet pilots for Swoop.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

CaptainHaddock wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 pm Blue42 I have not seen that information anywhere in regards to vacation. I am sure I could apply to the website with anyone else off the street. There was no attempt made to forwarn they were opening up to hire for Swoop. It is apparent now in hindsight that the company never intended to use WestJet pilots for Swoop.
I did see the Listing being referred to. However, it said that your vacation and seniority will carry over at the years of service to the swoop policy and procedures. No mention of maintaining seniority with Westjet

Red1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Red1 »

I think like Mel mentioned ALPA and the company will eventually negotiate something to keep WestJet pilots flying WestJet aircraft, in the end its probably in everyone best interest. Everyone just needs to get past the politics, and settle down and being negotiating.

The force will be with you, always
pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

I hope so. But if management went this far already I don’t think the WestJet pilots will get the flying back. Swoop starts selling tickets in a few weeks. If the response is huge the company will Let the pilots rot at mainline and let all the millennials fly for swoop. Not looking good for the profession now. The 737 is the new king air....

arsenal
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by arsenal »

Major Wingnut in the news. Rest In Peace Aimé-Jean St. Hilaire-Adam.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new ... huge-heart

Snagmaster E
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Snagmaster E »

Blue42 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:33 am While it's correct that there has been no internal posting there is nothing prevent current employees from applying. It has also been posted the current employees would keep the employee number and "seniority" position for vacation. Not sure if it applies to pay position, still some unknowns.
ALPA owns the list now.

Oh and...
0B2104EA-6197-4F02-9C76-6E59FC5FC67A.jpeg
0B2104EA-6197-4F02-9C76-6E59FC5FC67A.jpeg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 1847 times

Money, wish I had it...

Return to “WestJet”