Separate forum for Swoop <please>

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:22 am

Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#1 Post by NewCommercialPilot » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:13 pm

I understand the emotions that some feel for the Swoop airline, but it sounds like there is no shortage of applicants (qualified) and all indications are that it will be starting on time. Can we have a separate forum to discuss Swoop issues, seeing as it only has a peripheral connection to WJ?

Thanks in advance,

Herr FlugelNuss
---------- ADS -----------
  

GAF
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#2 Post by GAF » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:18 pm

NCP

You never responded to my post wrt getting a LOA to go help start swoop. You stated earlier that you would like to be part of the start up ( or at the very least buy the swoop pilot a coffee). Have you changed your mind now?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: The haunted corners of familiar rooms

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#3 Post by Boreas » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:23 pm

NewCommercialPilot wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:13 pm
I understand the emotions that some feel for the Swoop airline, but it sounds like there is no shortage of applicants (qualified) and all indications are that it will be starting on time. Can we have a separate forum to discuss Swoop issues, seeing as it only has a peripheral connection to WJ?

Thanks in advance,

Herr FlugelNuss
How is it that you know that exactly?

Honest question.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:10 am
Location: Betelgeuse

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#4 Post by Mostly Harmless » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:38 pm

From the December 06, 2018 Investor Day Transcript.

Greg Saretsky, "We've got the staff, and we're getting ready to go."

If you can believe what Greg says to a room full of investors.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:56 am

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#5 Post by Transonic » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Mostly Harmless wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:38 pm
From the December 06, 2018 Investor Day Transcript.

Greg Saretsky, "We've got the staff, and we're getting ready to go."

If you can believe what Greg says to a room full of investors.
I believe he made that statement knowing that WS pilots would staff it.

Gregg made this little remark when asked about potential labour issues. (Q&A portion 2hr39 50 secs mins)

“…..we don’t have a scope clause but we always acted [as if we do]. And this is where airlines get into trouble, when they do things that they really shouldn’t. But we’ve always acted as if we had a scope clause. And so we’ve been careful not to violate the virtual scope clause that is in our agreement.

Gregg is a smart guy. He should listen to himself.

I think it's premature to be asking for a separate forum....
---------- ADS -----------
  

GAF
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#6 Post by GAF » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:14 pm

If people don't want to work at Swoop, don't go to work at Swoop. This is basic economics and the right of citizens of a free society. WJ came along 21 years ago and brought sustainable competition to the airline market in Canada which provided consumers with choice, and in many, many cases brought lower fares to markets in which there was only one provider.

Swoop is not going to impede any one's progress at WJ. WJ can't compete against lower cost ULCC's. We can stand around and hope for the best and then watch as a JetsGo appears overnight and suddenly has 30 airplanes. Or you can bring the fight to them and establish a true ULCC where every single line item is the lowest of its class. Those working there have to go in knowing the full facts of the case.

I wish I could get a leave of absence to help them out. This is a rational response to the looming and present threat of seepage of customers to Bellingham and Buffalo etc and native ULCCs here in Canada.






So here you wish you could get a LOA. Do you really want one? You can get one
Your wage would be cut more than in 1/2. However, you would be part of a new start up carrier.

There are two types of people in this world. Those that take action, and those that talk. NCP, you sure do talk a lot and never seem to answer the tough questions. Perhaps you should sign a card? At least that way you could make your voice heard, literally, and have a vote in the future of the company you work for.

I don't expect a response. You seem to come on these forums, start a new topic, and leave.
---------- ADS -----------
  

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:10 am
Location: A Smokn' Hole

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#7 Post by groundpilot » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 am

GAF wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:14 pm
If people don't want to work at Swoop, don't go to work at Swoop. This is basic economics and the right of citizens of a free society. WJ came along 21 years ago and brought sustainable competition to the airline market in Canada which provided consumers with choice, and in many, many cases brought lower fares to markets in which there was only one provider.

Swoop is not going to impede any one's progress at WJ. WJ can't compete against lower cost ULCC's. We can stand around and hope for the best and then watch as a JetsGo appears overnight and suddenly has 30 airplanes. Or you can bring the fight to them and establish a true ULCC where every single line item is the lowest of its class. Those working there have to go in knowing the full facts of the case.

I wish I could get a leave of absence to help them out. This is a rational response to the looming and present threat of seepage of customers to Bellingham and Buffalo etc and native ULCCs here in Canada.

So here you wish you could get a LOA. Do you really want one? You can get one
Your wage would be cut more than in 1/2. However, you would be part of a new start up carrier.

There are two types of people in this world. Those that take action, and those that talk. NCP, you sure do talk a lot and never seem to answer the tough questions. Perhaps you should sign a card? At least that way you could make your voice heard, literally, and have a vote in the future of the company you work for.

I don't expect a response. You seem to come on these forums, start a new topic, and leave.
This is right out of Saretsky’s playbook. (Don’t get me wrong, others have used similar tactics in the past) Create a threat to scare the troops and lower compensation.

What is the impending threat?? Flair Air? JetLines? Gimme a break. It’s a giant pile of doggy poo. I barely see or hear them around the country.

You wish you could help out? Then DO IT. We need such a great aviators like yourself to lower the bar.
---------- ADS -----------
  

lostaviator
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#8 Post by lostaviator » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:56 am

GAF wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:18 pm
NCP

You never responded to my post wrt getting a LOA to go help start swoop. You stated earlier that you would like to be part of the start up ( or at the very least buy the swoop pilot a coffee). Have you changed your mind now?
He won't respond. He posts just enough to stir the pot then backs out and creates a new forum post.
---------- ADS -----------
  

dialdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:09 am

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#9 Post by dialdriver » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:02 am

groundpilot wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 am
GAF wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:14 pm
If people don't want to work at Swoop, don't go to work at Swoop. This is basic economics and the right of citizens of a free society. WJ came along 21 years ago and brought sustainable competition to the airline market in Canada which provided consumers with choice, and in many, many cases brought lower fares to markets in which there was only one provider.

Swoop is not going to impede any one's progress at WJ. WJ can't compete against lower cost ULCC's. We can stand around and hope for the best and then watch as a JetsGo appears overnight and suddenly has 30 airplanes. Or you can bring the fight to them and establish a true ULCC where every single line item is the lowest of its class. Those working there have to go in knowing the full facts of the case.

I wish I could get a leave of absence to help them out. This is a rational response to the looming and present threat of seepage of customers to Bellingham and Buffalo etc and native ULCCs here in Canada.

So here you wish you could get a LOA. Do you really want one? You can get one
Your wage would be cut more than in 1/2. However, you would be part of a new start up carrier.

There are two types of people in this world. Those that take action, and those that talk. NCP, you sure do talk a lot and never seem to answer the tough questions. Perhaps you should sign a card? At least that way you could make your voice heard, literally, and have a vote in the future of the company you work for.

I don't expect a response. You seem to come on these forums, start a new topic, and leave.
This is right out of Saretsky’s playbook. (Don’t get me wrong, others have used similar tactics in the past) Create a threat to scare the troops and lower compensation.

What is the impending threat?? Flair Air? JetLines? Gimme a break. It’s a giant pile of doggy poo. I barely see or hear them around the country.

You wish you could help out? Then DO IT. We need such a great aviators like yourself to lower the bar.
How many airplanes did Westjet start out with?
---------- ADS -----------
  

mmm..bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:19 pm

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#10 Post by mmm..bacon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:11 am

NewCommercialPilot wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:13 pm
I understand the emotions that some feel for the Swoop airline, but it sounds like there is no shortage of applicants (qualified) and all indications are that it will be starting on time. Can we have a separate forum to discuss Swoop issues, seeing as it only has a peripheral connection to WJ?

Thanks in advance,

Herr FlugelNuss

There probably wouldn't be so many threads, if you didn't start so many?
---------- ADS -----------
  

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:10 am
Location: A Smokn' Hole

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#11 Post by groundpilot » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:44 am

dialdriver wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:02 am
groundpilot wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 am
GAF wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:14 pm
If people don't want to work at Swoop, don't go to work at Swoop. This is basic economics and the right of citizens of a free society. WJ came along 21 years ago and brought sustainable competition to the airline market in Canada which provided consumers with choice, and in many, many cases brought lower fares to markets in which there was only one provider.

Swoop is not going to impede any one's progress at WJ. WJ can't compete against lower cost ULCC's. We can stand around and hope for the best and then watch as a JetsGo appears overnight and suddenly has 30 airplanes. Or you can bring the fight to them and establish a true ULCC where every single line item is the lowest of its class. Those working there have to go in knowing the full facts of the case.

I wish I could get a leave of absence to help them out. This is a rational response to the looming and present threat of seepage of customers to Bellingham and Buffalo etc and native ULCCs here in Canada.

So here you wish you could get a LOA. Do you really want one? You can get one
Your wage would be cut more than in 1/2. However, you would be part of a new start up carrier.

There are two types of people in this world. Those that take action, and those that talk. NCP, you sure do talk a lot and never seem to answer the tough questions. Perhaps you should sign a card? At least that way you could make your voice heard, literally, and have a vote in the future of the company you work for.

I don't expect a response. You seem to come on these forums, start a new topic, and leave.
This is right out of Saretsky’s playbook. (Don’t get me wrong, others have used similar tactics in the past) Create a threat to scare the troops and lower compensation.

What is the impending threat?? Flair Air? JetLines? Gimme a break. It’s a giant pile of doggy poo. I barely see or hear them around the country.

You wish you could help out? Then DO IT. We need such a great aviators like yourself to lower the bar.
How many airplanes did Westjet start out with?
3

I read the book.

And what an insane comparison.

A post deregulated struggling Air Canada in the 90s versus a record breaking airline industry with fares that have barely risen in decades.
---------- ADS -----------
  

dialdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:09 am

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#12 Post by dialdriver » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:47 am

groundpilot wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:44 am
dialdriver wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:02 am
groundpilot wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 am


This is right out of Saretsky’s playbook. (Don’t get me wrong, others have used similar tactics in the past) Create a threat to scare the troops and lower compensation.

What is the impending threat?? Flair Air? JetLines? Gimme a break. It’s a giant pile of doggy poo. I barely see or hear them around the country.

You wish you could help out? Then DO IT. We need such a great aviators like yourself to lower the bar.
How many airplanes did Westjet start out with?
Westjet competed with lower prices and lower paid pilots. Sound familiar?
3

I read the book.

And what an insane comparison.

A post deregulated struggling Air Canada in the 90s versus a record breaking airline industry with fares that have barely risen in decades.
---------- ADS -----------
  

GAF
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#13 Post by GAF » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:55 pm

So again NCP

Today, January 31, a memo was released publicly giving WS pilots a 2 year leave. So you have been given permission to "Swoop" on over to swoop. Will you finally put up, or will you finally shut up? You asked for a leave. You got one. Enjoy the ULCC
---------- ADS -----------
  

lostaviator
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#14 Post by lostaviator » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:50 pm

GAF wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:55 pm
So again NCP

Today, January 31, a memo was released publicly giving WS pilots a 2 year leave. So you have been given permission to "Swoop" on over to swoop. Will you finally put up, or will you finally shut up? You asked for a leave. You got one. Enjoy the ULCC
With the working 20+ days a month combined with his flying squirrel adventures, we might get some productive posts here again.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Tacoma
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Separate forum for Swoop <please>

#15 Post by Tacoma » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:46 pm

Funny how he'll turn it down and say when he made the offer it was dependent on making $200.55hr with a min guarantee of 77.5 and an increase to $204.56 on May 1st with a maximum 16 days worked, ability to flica drop YXX sked and pickup YHM OT, 20% ESP and profit share on what he can't drop, $10,298 stock option grant. Or Atleast YOS at swoop to $131hr but it will actually be $103.57 with non of the above. He'll say he can't afford it cause the courts say he's already in over his head and has payments to make. Welcome to our reality.

Finally he'll understand where the rest of us are coming from and jump onboard to make WESTJET the place to be a pilot again. Not the place where we go to work to put a smile on the Greggs face everyday.

Asking us after the fact if we want LOAs is a definite sign of desperation on their part. 1 A380capt and a bunch of flight instructor resumes is probably all they got.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “WestJet”