Marshmallows & kids

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Marshmallows & kids

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I think your answers are wrong.
I was not affected by it. Just knew some people who were
---------- ADS -----------

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

They are not wrong, the rate was 185/hr for Captains!
You’re trying to distort facts to support your position but you are wrong!

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

No one at Jazz made 185/hr lol

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

mbav8r wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:40 pm They are not wrong, the rate was 185/hr for Captains!
No need to get so angry

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Victory wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:48 pm No one at Jazz made 185/hr lol
So, are you a troll or another idiot? Those are the only choices because even a grade 3 student could understand the status pay system.
Johnny,
How about you answer my question now, If it cost the company 185/hr per Captain position, did it happen or not?

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:55 pm
mbav8r wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:40 pm They are not wrong, the rate was 185/hr for Captains!
No need to get so angry
Not angry, frustrated, I didn’t YELL

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Victory wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:48 pm No one at Jazz made 185/hr lol
No but it cost Jazz 185/hr. Why do you care if they shared it around?

They didn’t lower the bar. The cost to have 757 pilots was reasonable.

Your issue is with status pay (communism😎) not the cost the Jazz pilot group charged to do 757 flying.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Status pay is probably the best thing for this industry IMO. I wonder how many mainline pilots would bid to change type if they had status pay. The 190 would probably be one hot piece of metal.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I don't know what it cost the company. I just know that the pilots who flew the 757 were not making as much as other 757 pilots. I guess that is what you call "status pay"

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:37 am I don't know what it cost the company. I just know that the pilots who flew the 757 were not making as much as other 757 pilots. I guess that is what you call "status pay"
It sounds to me like:

The pilots who flew the 57, along with all the other pilots flying for Jazz, pooled their pay, and distribute pay based on years of service only (so they were paid as much as any other 57 driver they just chose to pay out the same way provincial equalization payments work) rather than based on type flown. The logic being a dash is arguably just as much work as flying the 57. A huge step forward if you ask me.

Obviously you get it. Maybe you don't agree with it. But maybe the day you are flying an aircraft solely based in the pay rather than lifestyle choice you would appreciate status pay. How many here would be flying an RJ rather than a heavy if they both paid the same? Home every night, no night shift, no time zone changes...

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Sounds like communism lol

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:27 am Sounds like communism lol
Except that the pilots voted on a contract, and the pilots bid on aircraft type. Not sure you quite understand what communism is.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

LOL

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

montado wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:20 am
The pilots who flew the 57, along with all the other pilots flying for Jazz, pooled their pay, and distribute pay based on years of service only (so they were paid as much as any other 57 driver they just chose to pay out the same way provincial equalization payments work) rather than based on type flown. The logic being a dash is arguably just as much work as flying the 57. A huge step forward if you ask me.

Obviously you get it. Maybe you don't agree with it. But maybe the day you are flying an aircraft solely based in the pay rather than lifestyle choice you would appreciate status pay. How many here would be flying an RJ rather than a heavy if they both paid the same? Home every night, no night shift, no time zone changes...

Couldn’t agree with this more. With the current state of affairs at WJ, it would be in everyone’s interest for their unity to just go to an equipment bid style system berween WJ AND WJE. Same WAWCON... same pilot list... same company. Swoopsters will have no hope.

Flying Low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Flying Low »

OK...here is my one and final attempt to explain status pay. I'll make this real simple. Hourly rates are just for the example and make the math easier.

Industry Standard pay rates
B757 - Captain $200/hr
Dash 8 - Captain $100/hr

Company A (Type Pay)
B757 - Captain $200/hr
Dash 8 - Captain $100/hr

Company B (Status Pay)
B757 - Captain $150/hr
Dash 8 - Captain $150/hr

Now here is the complicated part...
How much is Company A and B paying their Captains for one hour of flying?

Answer $300

See...no one is undercutting the other. (yes I know it's more complicated as you have to factor in number of hours per fleet etc.)

Now...if Company C decides to start with a B757 and offers Captains $175/hr then the pilot who takes that job is actually undercutting the B757 pilot at Company A and the B757 and Dash 8 pilot at Company B.

It comes down to a question of what you want out of your career...if it's all about money then Company A is the way to go...if it's lifestyle then Company B may work better for you.

"The ability to ditch an airplane in the Hudson does not qualify a pilot for a pay raise. The ability to get the pilots, with this ability, to work for 30% or 40% pay cuts qualifies those in management for millions in bonuses."
AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

Flying Low wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:42 pm OK...here is my one and final attempt to explain status pay. I'll make this real simple. Hourly rates are just for the example and make the math easier.

Industry Standard pay rates
B757 - Captain $200/hr
Dash 8 - Captain $100/hr

Company A (Type Pay)
B757 - Captain $200/hr
Dash 8 - Captain $100/hr

Company B (Status Pay)
B757 - Captain $150/hr
Dash 8 - Captain $150/hr

Now here is the complicated part...
How much is Company A and B paying their Captains for one hour of flying?

Answer $300

See...no one is undercutting the other. (yes I know it's more complicated as you have to factor in number of hours per fleet etc.)

Now...if Company C decides to start with a B757 and offers Captains $175/hr then the pilot who takes that job is actually undercutting the B757 pilot at Company A and the B757 and Dash 8 pilot at Company B.

It comes down to a question of what you want out of your career...if it's all about money then Company A is the way to go...if it's lifestyle then Company B may work better for you.
The big problem with status pay is that you over pay on smaller types and are not competitive corporately just like the issue with Jazz now and you underpay on larger types and you are not competitive from the pilot perspective. It certainly does have its benefits as well but it takes a very stagnant and mature pilot group to rationalize those benefits. It works much less efficiently during times of any movement.

Return to “WestJet”