A Big happy family.

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

A Big happy family.

Post by rookiepilot »

---------- ADS -----------

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: A Big happy family.

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

This kind of thing is pretty standard in aviation. Look at the flight instructors who are required to be at the FTU all day and then get paid for the ONE hour they fly. It's disgraceful and should be illegal.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

They should at least get credit for their time spent grooming :lol:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Does Westjet pay by air time? not block time?

Pilots too?

FenceSitter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FenceSitter »

If enough FAs speak up and file complaints that could end up with a significant amount of back pay (in a perfect world). Min credit days and duty RIGs should be a must. To do otherwise is highly questionable. Grooming is work. Full stop. I remember them saying that the 15 minutes of pay after wheels down was to cover the grooming however often enough the plane isn't even at the gate within 15 minutes. Even if it is, good luck having last guest off so you can even start grooming. That unpaid work reminds me of when they 'trialed' a new method of counting start time from when the last outer compartment door was closed and Honeywell software couldn't calculate the time properly. A few people complained and got their money most of them being told to keep quiet. This was around 4 or 5 years ago.
WJ does not pay properly. You can crow about PS, OPA, cheap flights and whatever you want....the end result is that stuff is all essentially a perk. The truth of the matter is that the mandatory component of the compensation package is sorely lacking and gets worse whenever and wherever possible. Owners? More like renters.

Last edited by FenceSitter on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

How is minimum wage calculated: per hour, per day, per month?

Extreme example, if you make a million dollar in the first hour of the month, do they still have to pay you minimum wage for the other hours of the month?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:48 am How is minimum wage calculated: per hour, per day, per month?

Extreme example, if you make a million dollar in the first hour of the month, do they still have to pay you minimum wage for the other hours of the month?
If you were specifically told that the million was for the first hour then yes you should still be paid for any other hours you work. However when paying my employees I tell them that the million covers all the monthly hours. Suckers

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:48 am How is minimum wage calculated: per hour, per day, per month?

A company pays me a million the first hour.... I'm quiting after one hour!

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ Shoot, man, give it the day, at least!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
grudgingalpamember
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by grudgingalpamember »

They are paid 80 hours minimum credit per month. Works out to more than minimum wage any way you look at it unless maybe you divide the monthly wage up by hours away from base but they are also paid per diem for that.

Return to “WestJet”