Everyday at WJ : union busting

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Everyday at WJ : union busting

Post by Benwa »

*slow clap* John Swallow made money !
---------- ADS -----------

--In his wrapup remarks, the FAA chief said, "If you think the safety bar is set too high, then your
standards are set too low."
Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

John honestly, who gives a rats ass how much you make. There are pilots at WJ that make more in investments alone over and above their salary than you do on your T4 and you don’t see them in here bragging about it

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Does ALPA have forums for WJ pilots or is this what it has come to?

GAF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GAF »

Yes, there is an ALPA forum for Westjet pilots.

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

If you ever wonder why you need a Union............I give you WeedPro 2000.

Look no further!

grudgingalpamember
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by grudgingalpamember »

WeedPro2000 is not alone. He is only the most vocal of those of us who oppose our current union regime. ALPA is setting up unrealistic expectations by pointing to gains made by Spirit pilots etc.. We make good money, if you grind the old T4 argument you don't understand how you are paid. If you have been at Westjet longer than 3 years you are making more than 80% of tax filers in the country. As a result you pay a lot of tax. If you are dissatisfied you should take it up with the CRA. I joined the company because I liked the fact that everyone was pulling in the same direction. Westjet didn't have the obstructionist infighting and fiefdoms of the union hindered companies. Now we are in a situation where we will probably end up with an imposed contract and ALPA can wash their hands and start collecting dues. Do you want to pay a lot of money for a lot of services you don't need? I give you our future under a union.

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

Well written!

The fact is that you now have a Union. IF they get full support from the Pilots, they will get a much better deal than if the Management feels they can divide and destroy pilot unity. You may have no background in labor and even hate the thought of a Union. The truth is ; you now have one. The more support you give your Representatives, the better the result will be.

Just the way things are! I spent 39 years in a Union group and took some of the BIG jobs. I do not expect you to agree with some of their actions as I had fights with the direction that my own Union followed at times as well. The fact is, a united group will get a far better Contract than a badly divide group.

Regards.

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flyingsquirrelsuck »

grudgingalpamember wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:31 am WeedPro2000 is not alone. He is only the most vocal of those of us who oppose our current union regime. ALPA is setting up unrealistic expectations by pointing to gains made by Spirit pilots etc.. We make good money, if you grind the old T4 argument you don't understand how you are paid. If you have been at Westjet longer than 3 years you are making more than 80% of tax filers in the country. As a result you pay a lot of tax. If you are dissatisfied you should take it up with the CRA. I joined the company because I liked the fact that everyone was pulling in the same direction. Westjet didn't have the obstructionist infighting and fiefdoms of the union hindered companies. Now we are in a situation where we will probably end up with an imposed contract and ALPA can wash their hands and start collecting dues. Do you want to pay a lot of money for a lot of services you don't need? I give you our future under a union.
Why are you comparing pilots to “other tax filers”? Have these same people put in the time, effort, expense that we have to build our careers? Do they have the same responsibility and liability as we do?

Let’s compare pilots to pilots. Industry standard.

YOS
Min credit
Trip rigs
DH inside the block paid correctly.

Most of these items everyone else receives. WJ pilots? Nope!

Do you think the old WJPA was able to bargain for these items? Nope.

How about the company stoping funding for PAT after we certified?

Westjet needs this union more than the pilots.

Demeter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Demeter »

“How about the company stoping funding for PAT after we certified? “

What are the details around that?

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Demeter wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:35 pm “How about the company stoping funding for PAT after we certified? “

What are the details around that?

Details? The company stop funding PAT, that’s it. It’s a sign of how the company respects our group after certification

Demeter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Demeter »

You didn’t provide the details to back up your allegations

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

“PAT” aka PACT (Pro-Active Communications Team) was the employee representation organization with a seat on the board funded by a few $ from every non-union non-supervisory employees’ pay cheque and endorsed by the company, members were elected by each employee group. It was replaced by WEA (WestJet Employee Aassociation) which Is the employee representation organization with a seat on the board funded by a few $ from every non-union non-supervisory employees’ pay cheque and endorsed by the company, members are elected by each employee group. The only change was the name.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Hi John...the T4 is complete BS at westjet. It's the loud muffler on a Honda civic. Sure it's a metric, but only one.

Lets just be completely honest here, the only reason you're fighting alpa isn't for any altruistic reason, it's purely because you're terrified of losing your OT. That's it.

I have zero interest in bankrupting the company and we wont. Its anti union rhetoric. Of course managment is going to fight this change as costs will go up. Marginally. Poor decisions (like swoop) will drive this ship down. For a company so hell bent on saving money they sure are willing to throw it away to spite us. It would have cost nothing to get us new ties and throw swoop (our) flying in our schedules. But no, let's make poor business decisions out of spite. That's what will scuttle this ship. And it really brings to light a point: you're either too blind or too brainwashed to see you're fighting for a company that will happily dispose of you. But hey, it's just business right?

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Demeter wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:25 pm You didn’t provide the details to back up your allegations
Flew with a member of PAT or so long ago. Heard it from them

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

aerobod wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:14 am “PAT” aka PACT (Pro-Active Communications Team) was the employee representation organization with a seat on the board funded by a few $ from every non-union non-supervisory employees’ pay cheque and endorsed by the company, members were elected by each employee group. It was replaced by WEA (WestJet Employee Aassociation) which Is the employee representation organization with a seat on the board funded by a few $ from every non-union non-supervisory employees’ pay cheque and endorsed by the company, members are elected by each employee group. The only change was the name.
PAT is the Pilot Assistance Team. It now called the Pilot Support Network. I don't know about funding though.

Demeter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Demeter »

Flyingsquirrelsuck wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:27 am
Demeter wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:25 pm You didn’t provide the details to back up your allegations
Flew with a member of PAT or so long ago. Heard it from them
You still didn’t provide the details to prove otherwise. Nuff said about credibility.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

KAG wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:21 am Hi John...the T4 is complete BS at westjet. It's the loud muffler on a Honda civic. Sure it's a metric, but only one.

Lets just be completely honest here, the only reason you're fighting alpa isn't for any altruistic reason, it's purely because you're terrified of losing your OT. That's it.

I have zero interest in bankrupting the company and we wont. Its anti union rhetoric. Of course managment is going to fight this change as costs will go up. Marginally. Poor decisions (like swoop) will drive this ship down. For a company so hell bent on saving money they sure are willing to throw it away to spite us. It would have cost nothing to get us new ties and throw swoop (our) flying in our schedules. But no, let's make poor business decisions out of spite. That's what will scuttle this ship. And it really brings to light a point: you're either too blind or too brainwashed to see you're fighting for a company that will happily dispose of you. But hey, it's just business right?
Terrified. Hmm. Well, I've stood on the edge of a 480 foot high bridge and I'll admit I was terrified. But I jumped anyway.

I'm not "terrified" of what ALPA is going to achieve here shortly. It will mean seniority for bidding in which case I'll bid the YYZ base and work 9 one days a month, probably on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Wednesdays I'll get my mani/pedi. Mondays I'll spend at the German cultural center. Fridays, I don't know what I'll do on Fridays. But the weekends? Well, every weekend will be a weekend!!!!!

By the way, Swoop isn't a bad business decision.

And regarding altruism, and while you are diagnosing motives without knowing me, I must agree that pilots are generally motivated by altruism. It's one of the first things I noticed about pilots when I got my licence: "These people are all motivated by their desire to change the world and make it a better place for their fellow man!"

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

I have screenings in China scheduled in June so perhaps you won't have my opinions to deal with soon. Fingers crossed lol!! :smt014

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Wow I always thought these were parody accounts but that guy just said Fck ALPA and jumped off a bridge.

hurtin'albertan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hurtin'albertan »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:59 am I have screenings in China scheduled in June so perhaps you won't have my opinions to deal with soon. Fingers crossed lol!! :smt014
You've got 1500 WJ pilots pulling for you on this! Best of luck and good fortune! :D :lol:

Return to “WestJet”