Strike vote

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Greenbastard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Strike vote

Post by Greenbastard »

WestJet pilots/ALPA have started a strike vote.
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Strike vote

Post by Rowdy »

Just another piece in the toolbox for negotiating.

From the sounds of it, the company is not negotiating in good faith. Maybe a little nudge will bring them to the table.

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

Rowdy wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:00 pm Just another piece in the toolbox for negotiating.

From the sounds of it, the company is not negotiating in good faith. Maybe a little nudge will bring them to the table.

But the latest email from the company says they are doing their best, and that they are disappointed and perplexed. Quite different from the MECs email regarding the same thing.

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

From the sidelines. I have had to strike twice in 39 years. It is not fun; more than a little scary, and very HARD to do!

IT IS SOMETIMES UNAVOIDABLE. Back your Union leaders 100% !!! Give them as close to 100% strike vote and be prepared to back it up.

The Company is playing the very old, " It is NOT us ; it's THEM " card. You know it is they that do not want to change and move forward. Getting that first Contract from an Airline as large and complex as Westjet is a major task even if the Company was not being obstinate. THEY are fighting your efforts to Unionize as hard as they can. Be prepared to go all the way as Management is very likely going to test YOUR resolve.

Strikes are costly to both the Company and YOURSELVES. Times are as good in N/A Airlines now as they have ever been for the last 50 years. If you cannot get modest gains now.....then when?

I put this out to you because it is now crunch time. A lot is at stake for the rest of your Careers. Time to man up or face a long and fruitless future.

Best of Luck in all your efforts!

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Going to be a tense few weeks around here but it is ALL worth it.

Company showing up to 2/6 of the days in the conciliation period.
Company breaking the law and having their wrist slapped by the CIRB.
Company saying Swoop will be good for us all. Even promising faster upgrades at one point.
"Swoop won't replace WestJet flying" they said.
Replace = "take place of".
Look up YXX-YWG this summer and see who's flying it. Swoop is replacing Westjet flying.
The office people all seem to think we are nuts. We are the front line and first affected. If you are an office person lurking here, ask yourself what happens when WJ flying continues to be given away and we need less marketing people, less call centre people, less AME's, etc.

Do I dare read the yammer today?

snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by snowcone »

Good for you guys and thankyou for trying to improve conditions for everyone, no matter what company you operate for.

We will see if the government forces an end to the strike vote by the end of the weekend!

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

Management is just one of your concerns. What about the T4 queens that are just going to smile and nod while you throw nasty words like scab and blacklist around. How are you going to get them to strike? They didn't sign up for any of this.

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

snowcone wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 am Good for you guys and thankyou for trying to improve conditions for everyone, no matter what company you operate for.

We will see if the government forces an end to the strike vote by the end of the weekend!

Hear, Hear!

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

I think I speak for a lot of my fellow non-WJ pilots when I say that we are all backing you guys 100% in this.

It goes beyond what logo is painted on the tail here. It’s aboit improving the industry in Canada as a whole. Regardless of who we work for, we should all stand united on this front.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

snowcone wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 am Good for you guys and thankyou for trying to improve conditions for everyone, no matter what company you operate for.

The government can not stop the vote from happening.

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Lots of guys who have fat T4s are supporting the strike mandate 100% all the way to the picket line.

Cheers.

JJJ
T4 Queen

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

flyer 1492 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:56 am

The government can not stop the vote from happening.
They sure did with AC.......:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... age-1.html

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

You may have noticed the Harper PC’s are not in power at this time.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I'm a business guy But I support this one. Pendulum has swung too far.

The company I'd LOVE to see shut down by a strike for a period?

Amazon.

mel gibson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mel gibson »

Just an observer from the other major airline in Canada....

I believe Westjetters do a lot of extra work for free.

You are getting burned out.

Support your union, they are very sharp and looking after you. I know a lot of them.

Be thankful you have a union in the event of a future merger. How would you like to be the bottom of some list.
Never say never.

Work rules, and managing fatigue should be the main goals. If you get reserve, Alpa has superior reserve rules. Our reserve rules are outright illegal!

Pay will be interesting. I still do not understand your pay. I just know your take home is low!!!

A few years ago , we had 97 percent of our pilots vote 97 percent to strike. Alpa will follow through with this mandate properly.

Good luck!! We want to have something to strive for in the next few years , when we can negotiate again.

Btw, Swoop is a whipsaw machine!!!

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

lostaviator wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:57 am ...
"Swoop won't replace WestJet flying" they said.
Replace = "take place of".
Look up YXX-YWG this summer and see who's flying it. Swoop is replacing Westjet flying.
Although it cannot always be taken too literally, meaning one has to consider the total aggregate. While one route might be given to Swoop because of better suitability, others will likely be added elsewhere.

And speaking of office people, keep in mind if there is no flying some of the other folks will not have much to do and likely will be furloughed...Strike is almost never a good thing, neither is an arbitration ever going to be better than a negotiated agreement.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

cloak wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:39 pm neither is an arbitration ever going to be better than a negotiated agreement.
This is not accurate. In a situation like this where WJ is so far behind the industry standard and so consistently profitable, and the company has conducted themselves in such bad faith, arbitration could very well favour the pilot group.

PROC_HDG

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Westjet pilots we support you.

Just look at Qantas, only a small amount of widebody fleet growth zero narrow body expansion at all, vs Jetstar (wholly owned LCC subsidiary), almost 100 narrow body tails coming.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

PROC_HDG wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:48 am
cloak wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:39 pm neither is an arbitration ever going to be better than a negotiated agreement.
This is not accurate. In a situation like this where WJ is so far behind the industry standard and so consistently profitable, and the company has conducted themselves in such bad faith, arbitration could very well favour the pilot group.

PROC_HDG
Exactly what is the proof that WJ is far behind industry standard? Facts seem to suggest otherwise. An arbitrator is not going to look at one item and say yes min credits need to be increased, rather weigh the entire package. For instance not every airline gives stock options to its pilots. And an arbitration is almost never one-sided, rather a compromise, and the areas of the compromise may not be what people want! That is why negotiated agreements are preferred.

Return to “WestJet”