Exit Polls Showing Over 90% Strike Mandate Support

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Exit Polls Showing Over 90% Strike Mandate Support

Post by seriousflyer »

Don't let "sqwak" extremely juvenile comments divide you. Air Canada pilots have been through this, and more, over the last 5 decades. They have a backbone.
---------- ADS -----------

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Was Weedpro2000 out picketing?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

Mach1 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:11 pm Was Weedpro2000 out picketing?

No sign of the mighty mouth. All talk and no action. No surprise really.

I was proud to stand there with 150 of my peers and send a strong message.

In unity.

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

Alcoholism wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:44 pm There's a difference between a WJ pilot and a AC pilot. WJ pilots have a backbone.
If you say so :roll:

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

seriousflyer wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:05 pm Don't let "sqwak" extremely juvenile comments divide you. Air Canada pilots have been through this, and more, over the last 5 decades. They have a backbone.
This must be the lost decade then, because actions show otherwise. Care to give away the cargo flying again? Care to lock into another 10yr contract? Care to give away Rouge expansion again? Care to keep status quo? What else am I missing here? And don't give me the big bad gov't and arbitrator forced it on you. The reopeners are all on you.

I say to the WJ pilot group, you're better than AC, and deserve better. Don't be an AC pilot.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Ummm.....as I recall, Rovinescu called up his buddy Harper, who in turn used his tool Lisa Raitt to do the dirty work of legislating the rank and file back to work, and therefore forcing the terms of a work contract.

What does backbone have to do with facing an autocratic state sponsored action. Could take to the streets like they do in other countries I suppose, but that tends not to happen in canada. The various overequipped swat teams would put a crushing end to it anyway.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

I wonder if CB's head was going to explode?

rambus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rambus »

disregard...

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

I don’t work for WJ. However, thanks for sticking up for working conditions in this industry.

This being said, after reading some of the commentary on the CBC articles. I think the public level of sympathy is zero to this cause.. here’s a snapshot of the commentary from the joe six pack peanut gallery.

- overpaid, glorified bus drivers.. trying to soak the poor public for more $$ before airplanes are all automated anyways

- pilots do nothing but sit there .. planes fly themselves

- another company ruined (westjet) by pure union greed

- WJ pilots are the worst.. we had to turn around once when trying to land ( assume go- around)

- greedy entitied people

- pilots trying to get more layovers in Jamaica

- fire em all..

It went downhill from there...

I DO NOT agree with any of the aforementioned statements.i found these statements extremely disheartening. Again, I appreciate everything you guys and gals are doing. However, I think the public needs to be educated as a whole on what YOU are fighting for and the working conditions in our industry.

For example, the food industry went all out on the “ buy local, buy small, buy organic” movement. Guess what? Things changed..people ( me included) started supporting local farmers.

Ignorance with respect to what we actually do/ the effort it takes to advance ( at least in the past) is PROLIFIC!!

However, As long as the public thinks we are replaceable “ bus drivers” requiring zero education or skill nothing will change. Moreover, that the magical computer does everything ..( no PDM nada) Change needs to happen at the consumer level as well as at the boardroom level.

In no way am I saying corporate greed does not exist and that changes need to happen higher up the food chain... .. The problem is, everyone thinks this career is glitzy and glamorous... and this feeds into the public’s thirst for cheaper wages at our expense.

I have yet to hear the union release a public statement as to what you folks are fighting for .. as well as what conditions are like.

Good luck !

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

GhostRider6 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:25 pm I don’t work for WJ. However, thanks for sticking up for working conditions in this industry.

This being said, after reading some of the commentary on the CBC articles. I think the public level of sympathy is zero to this cause.. here’s a snapshot of the commentary from the joe six pack peanut gallery.

- overpaid, glorified bus drivers.. trying to soak the poor public for more $$ before airplanes are all automated anyways

- pilots do nothing but sit there .. planes fly themselves

- another company ruined (westjet) by pure union greed

- WJ pilots are the worst.. we had to turn around once when trying to land ( assume go- around)

- greedy entitied people

- pilots trying to get more layovers in Jamaica

- fire em all..

It went downhill from there...

I DO NOT agree with any of the aforementioned statements.i found these statements extremely disheartening. Again, I appreciate everything you guys and gals are doing. However, I think the public needs to be educated as a whole on what YOU are fighting for and the working conditions in our industry.

For example, the food industry went all out on the “ buy local, buy small, buy organic” movement. Guess what? Things changed..people ( me included) started supporting local farmers.

Ignorance with respect to what we actually do/ the effort it takes to advance ( at least in the past) is PROLIFIC!!

However, As long as the public thinks we are replaceable “ bus drivers” requiring zero education or skill nothing will change. Moreover, that the magical computer does everything ..( no PDM nada) Change needs to happen at the consumer level as well as at the boardroom level.

In no way am I saying corporate greed does not exist and that changes need to happen higher up the food chain... .. The problem is, everyone thinks this career is glitzy and glamorous... and this feeds into the public’s thirst for cheaper wages at our expense.

I have yet to hear the union release a public statement as to what you folks are fighting for .. as well as what conditions are like.

Good luck !
If the pilot's actually go on strike and Westjet starts a public fight with the average pilot salary numbers business it's going to get far worse. ALPA had better to get out in front of that one.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

If WestJet mgmt or any other airline mgmt wants to make public perception of pilots bad, well that will only mean less people wanting to be pilots. Less pilots in the current market conditions will only mean better pay and working conditions to attract an already shortage, accelerated by initial corporate greed of public persuasion. I would hope the mgmt types would realize the suicide they would be in if they were to go down that route.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

He wasn't. I read the CEO's direction not to inflame the situation, and thought, he's probably right.

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flyingsquirrelsuck »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:04 pm

He wasn't. I read the CEO's direction not to inflame the situation, and thought, he's probably right.
Maybe you can start by wearing your pink collar shirt to work John. Was that to support the Swoop pilots or anti bullying?

Looks like your part of the 4% of pilots at WJ willing to let the company sewer our careers.

Fantastic job

Canadianjetpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canadianjetpilot »

Flyingsquirrelsuck wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:13 pm
WeedPro2000 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Maybe you can start by wearing your pink collar shirt to work John. Was that to support the Swoop pilots or anti bullying?

Looks like your part of the 4% of pilots at WJ willing to let the company sewer our careers.

Fantastic job

And he'll probably continue to troll his peers all while reaping the benefits of the new CBA.

If you happen to fly with him just make sure not to show him the Orange stickers...apparently he gets just a leettle upset...kinda like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum...but taking it out on the poor clipboard...which had to replaced...damm, so much for the OPA...just dont show him the stickers.

https://youtu.be/QcV3HDtx31E

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

Airfield,

I don’t think this will do anything. Again, from my post, comments read in articles as well as interactions with the public as someone else said.. Alpa needs to get in front of this.

Again, I hate to sound like a broken record but documentaries like food inc etc made people disgusted with the commercial food industry by exposing it as environmentally unfriendly and a great risk.

Although, it’s much different I see no public education with respect to our industry’s plight.

We heard from the truckers during their strike .. the pilots have done nothing to educate the public as other industries have done.

Change needs to come from the 1)consumer..and within pilot ranks followed by the 2) boardroom.

The amount of people I’ve talked to that are utterly shocked at our duty regs..Again, the public is dumbed down and basically eats up whatever the media puts out.. or whatever image is portrayed in the media. ( fat assed over paid bus drivers)

There was a short blurb in “ Capitalism a love story” other than that there’s been SFA .

Unless we become 1) united and 2)educate the public nothing will change and this will only worsen.

Pilot shortage .. nobody cares. Look at the amount of 200 hour wonders college programs can pump out. ( unskilled labor) These guys are elated and chomping at the bit to take the 34000 first year pay at the regionals.

Nobody needs to sling bags for years and go from a dockhand - dock lead- pilot etc etc.. Again, no appreciation for the effort it takes.

Companies make contracts to sell out the future generations of pilots to protect their pensions ..

The aforementioned scenario yet again, devalues our worth as SKILLED / seasoned peofessional. No outsourcing needed!!!!!

Education ( of the public and our worth) unity with one another will only solve this ..

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:04 pm He wasn't. I read the CEO's direction not to inflame the situation, and thought, he's probably right.
Well, shoot! I was hoping to see a picture of you in the media wearing your flying squirrel suit while holding a sign. :(

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:36 am Has anyone polled the WJ Board of Directors to see how much support there is for a lockout?

Or polled Justin Trudeau’s cabinet to see how much support there is for back to work legislation and an imposed contract?
I said this? On May 2nd, 2018?

Huh.

Well, I will admit to doing my homework, but holyf#ck did I ever call that one!!!

Return to “WestJet”