Gloom & Doom Q2 outlook...are you kidding?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rambus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Gloom & Doom Q2 outlook...are you kidding?

Post by rambus »

Todays Q1 announcement is telling on behalf of management...Time after time we see Airline Executives manufacture problems and issue "Earnings Warnings" during contract negotiations. Quite frankly this is insulting and the oldest labour trick in the book! Don't be fooled, every airline does this during bargaining and it turns out that Westjet is no different. This kind of garbage needs to stop! Our profession is only as strong as we make it...If you think you should earn less than every other 787 pilot on the planet than you most definitely will. Airline profits do not hinge on Pilot wages...they never have. Just like fuel & aircraft, there's a cost to doing business.

One seniority list, Industry standard compensation, A FAIR CONTRACT!
---------- ADS -----------

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Gloom & Doom Q2 outlook...are you kidding?

Post by tps8903 »

rambus wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:32 pm Todays Q1 announcement is telling on behalf of management...Time after time we see Airline Executives manufacture problems and issue "Earnings Warnings" during contract negotiations. Quite frankly this is insulting and the oldest labour trick in the book! Don't be fooled, every airline does this during bargaining and it turns out that Westjet is no different. This kind of garbage needs to stop! Our profession is only as strong as we make it...If you think you should earn less than every other 787 pilot on the planet than you most definitely will. Airline profits do not hinge on Pilot wages...they never have. Just like fuel & aircraft, there's a cost to doing business.

Based on the reported profit, and an estimated 2000 pilots between Mainline and Encore, they would have to shell out $18,000/pilot to eat up all the profits.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Well WestJet has long done a masterful job of controlling the media, just witness today's CBC headline:

IMG_3930.PNG
IMG_3930.PNG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 7564 times

Rezy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rezy »

tps8903 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm Based on the reported profit, and an estimated 2000 pilots between Mainline and Encore, they would have to shell out $18,000/pilot to eat up all the profits.
That profit is for the quarter, so that’s $18,000 a quarter.

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

rambus wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:32 pm Todays Q1 announcement is telling on behalf of management...Time after time we see Airline Executives manufacture problems and issue "Earnings Warnings" during contract negotiations. Quite frankly this is insulting and the oldest labour trick in the book! Don't be fooled, every airline does this during bargaining and it turns out that Westjet is no different. This kind of garbage needs to stop! Our profession is only as strong as we make it...If you think you should earn less than every other 787 pilot on the planet than you most definitely will. Airline profits do not hinge on Pilot wages...they never have. Just like fuel & aircraft, there's a cost to doing business.

:prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

This Financial Post Article is pretty balanced http://business.financialpost.com/trans ... 0-per-cent

I think the key paragraphs are:

The costs of the company’s multitude of initiatives are causing overruns in many areas,” [an analyst] wrote in a note to clients. “We are hard-pressed to see an easy solution to the cost problem and the risk is that it gets worse before it gets better.”

Analysts have largely remained skeptical of WestJet’s strategy to seek growth through the launch of Swoop, while at the same time undergoing a wide-body expansion plan and pursuing premium passengers.

On Tuesday’s conference call, Raymond James analyst Ben Cherniavsky questioned WestJet’s strategy and said “a credibility gap” was building over the company doubling down on the plan while missing targets, calling it the “elephant in the room that someone needs to address.”
So while a threat of a pilot strike will no doubt have an effect on bookings, if there wasn't these excessive costs to set up both a ULCC and widebody expansion, there would be much less making investors worried. It wasn't the threat of a strike that caused the stock to drop so drastically today, it was the missed earnings. I'd be curious to know how much extra training costs are being spent with the exodus of pilots heading to AC.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

JBI wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:57 pm I'd be curious to know how much extra training costs are being spent with the exodus of pilots heading to AC.
It's in the millions and growing.

squawk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squawk »

Donald wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:37 pm Well WestJet has long done a masterful job of controlling the media, just witness today's CBC headline:

IMG_3930.PNG
No, I would say that the people’s airline, the equivilant of a flying CBC has done a masterful job of controlling the media and hammering our stock price today.

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

squawk wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:50 pm
Donald wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:37 pm Well WestJet has long done a masterful job of controlling the media, just witness today's CBC headline:

IMG_3930.PNG
No, I would say that the people’s airline, the equivilant of a flying CBC has done a masterful job of controlling the media and hammering our stock price today.
You mad bro...

squawk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squawk »

RidersRule wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:14 pm

IMG_3930.PNG
You mad bro...
Yah think!

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Whats parading around with signs supposed to do anyways? I feel like it just creates photo opportunities for the media to exploit in their pro-industry / anti-pilot articles...

Don't get me wrong, I fully support you guys at WestJet.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

IMG_3930.PNG
What are you smoking?

Our stock got hammered today because the people supposed to be running this company are too busy trying to be everything to everybody and juggling too many balls in the air. They missed analysts estimates by over 10% and continue to spend like drunken sailors and wage war on their own pilots. Labour unrest and possible disruptions are a convenient scapegoat. If the pilot's concerns get addressed without any labour action who are they going to blame their mismanagement on?

Trying to expand margins by cost-cutting while in a supposed growth phase is akin to standing in a bucket and trying to lift oneself up by the handle.

squawk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squawk »

Your comments are more relevant to a bubble Philosophy of communism than reality.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

squawk wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:42 pm Your comments are more relevant to a bubble Philosophy of communism than reality.
You are two for two in making ridiculous, unfounded and non-relevant statements, keep it up. Have you been taking lessons from WeedPro2000?

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

Having listened in on the analysts call this morning, about the only strategy that would in their eyes boost the stock price at the moment is reduced capacity, reduced costs (less aircraft and workforce needed to service reduced capacity) and increased margin on a smaller market.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Just took a look at the stock history. 19 bucks today, 4 bucks 18 years ago, a high of 31 maybe 8 years ago. 16 bucks in 2016. Not great news but I don't see any 5 alarm fires.

air canada stock was 80 cents more than once in recent history and look at them now. Even they came down a bit recently.

Fear and greed..............

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
tincanflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tincanflyer »

Not sure why at every airline I have worked at, Pilots think they are all at the top of turd island and should always get top dollar and be looked at as the highest level as of everyone in the company. Tough sh!t. Put your head down and do your job. You don’t like it, Go else where. You want to turn WJ into AC, f-ck that. Go to big red. You are a pilot...... a freak’n sky bus driver. Hit your switches and shut your mouth. You are wrecking our company and you are a pilot. A stick jockey. Pull up and be quiet. L@sers! Go picket in your little bitty b!tch pilot hats.

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

Tincan, how about I just slap you in the side of the head and we’ll call it a day.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

tincanflyer wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:30 pm Not sure why at every airline I have worked at, Pilots think they are all at the top of turd island and should always get top dollar and be looked at as the highest level as of everyone in the company.
Absolutely. I think you should start an airline without any pilots at all. That should work! Just think of all the money you would save on wages and fuel costs... and dispatchers, ground handlers, CSA's, Operations.... Surely with that much cost cutting you would be the world leader in no time at all!
tincanflyer wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:30 pm Put your head down and do your job. You don’t like it, Go else where.
You could also do that. In fact, it sounds like you should do that... you seem very angry and jealous.
tincanflyer wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:30 pm You want to turn WJ into AC, f-ck that. Go to big red.
Many already have. I've never seen a major airline in North America shed pilots to another major airline... is that the WJ way of being industry leading? Because, while it is leading, I'm not exactly sure which direction it is leading.
tincanflyer wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:30 pm You are a pilot...... a freak’n sky bus driver. Hit your switches and shut your mouth.

Perfect. It's so easy, even you can do it. Get in there and take the job you obviously know nothing about and show everyone how it's done. You are my hero.
tincanflyer wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:30 pm You are wrecking our company and you are a pilot.
Our? Our company? Who is "Our?" You mean the company founded by pilots? That "Our?" Which "Our" are you? Once again, by all means, feel free to run an airline without pilots. I'm not sure what your business will actually be... travel agent, I guess.... I'm not sure. In fact, could you tell me what business an airline without pilots is?
tincanflyer wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:30 pm Pull up and be quiet. L@sers! Go picket in your little bitty b!tch pilot hats.
When did WestJet get hats?

Someone did not get enough hugs as a child. You may want to see some professional help with those anger issues. Before you have health issues.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
rambus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rambus »

Not sure why at every airline I have worked at, Pilots think they are all at the top of turd island and should always get top dollar and be looked at as the highest level as of everyone in the company.
You are a pilot...... a freak’n sky bus driver.
This kind of garbage sums it up perfectly...We've allowed ourselves to be treated and looked at the same as every other unskilled trade out there. Pilots are highly trained professionals that are continuously tested and scrutinized...it's a long road to success - The lack of respect is mind-boggling. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a manager fresh out of college posting this stuff...The bar has been set in North America and it's a supply and demand world - we are only hurting ourselves and those that follow if we continue to lower it!

Return to “WestJet”