Vote results.

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Vote results.

Post by RidersRule »

95% voted.
91% in favour of the strike.

Mind Blown.
---------- ADS -----------

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Vote results.

Post by DropTanks »

RidersRule wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:37 am 95% voted.
91% in favour of the strike.

Mind Blown.

Attachments
769B8CB0-4D0F-4B1A-8AE1-99793166DF66.jpeg
769B8CB0-4D0F-4B1A-8AE1-99793166DF66.jpeg (221.44 KiB) Viewed 8235 times
Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

The press is reporting that 95% of the members voted. So if that is accurate, I wonder what percent of all pilots does ALPA have signed up.

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

Longtimer wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:54 am The press is reporting that 95% of the members voted. So if that is accurate, I wonder what percent of all pilots does ALPA have signed up.
It's 95%.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

It's on

Attachments
i-dont-always-obox9r.jpg
i-dont-always-obox9r.jpg (70.09 KiB) Viewed 7786 times
flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Any comment Weedpro?

Flash8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flash8 »

This song is relevant:

https://youtu.be/gj2iGAifSNI

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

It's a bit sad to see the chest-thumping - no one "wins" a strike vote.

just another firm step down a well-trodden road. Enjoy your picketing.

I know AC will! :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Canadianjetpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canadianjetpilot »

complexintentions wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:08 pm It's a bit sad to see the chest-thumping - no one "wins" a strike vote.

If you believe what you just said then you clearly don't truly understand the significance of this vote.

In many ways it's not even really about striking. It's about unity, solidarity and a message from virtually the entire pilot group that enough is enough.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Good luck to all the great hard working pilots out there. Hope this starts turning a page for all of us!

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

complexintentions wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:08 pm It's a bit sad to see the chest-thumping - no one "wins" a strike vote.

Like Weedpro, the WestJet leadership seemed to have operated under the assumption that the pilots remained a divided group at 60/40. ALPA received little respect under this assumption. That will now change.

The prospect of losing 10 million a day in revenue is real. Things will happen quickly now.

Rezy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rezy »

No surprises here. Anyone who cared to pay attention should have know the vote was going to be this high.
If you are surprised by this, you’ve been talking to the wrong people and are completely out of touch with reality.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Wow so many guns blazing....curious, has there ever been a precedent of pilots of one airline picketing at a competitor's AGM in full uniform when there wasn't even a strike?

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

cloak wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:10 pm Wow so many guns blazing....curious, has there ever been a precedent of pilots of one airline picketing at a competitor's AGM in full uniform when there wasn't even a strike?
Just union pilots supporting fellow union pilots. Nothing more, nothing less. Unified pilots across corporate lines are a great thing for the profession.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Am I the only one who thinks the vote is not enough? I mean 9% is a big portion of the pilots at Westjet. If you are serious about a strike, don't you want 98-99%? Tread lightly comrades!

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

FL410AV8R wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:18 pm
cloak wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:10 pm Wow so many guns blazing....curious, has there ever been a precedent of pilots of one airline picketing at a competitor's AGM in full uniform when there wasn't even a strike?
Just union pilots supporting fellow union pilots. Nothing more, nothing less. Unified pilots across corporate lines are a great thing for the profession.
Hmmm, "fellow union"? are you sure they are fellow union members? And in full company uniform? You may be surprised to find legal problems (not to mention ethical ones) with this action. Are Air Canada pilots allowed by their corporation to wear their uniform in public in large demonstrations not pertaining to their own company? Are their uniforms properties of the corporation or union? So many questions ...

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

montado wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:29 pm Am I the only one who thinks the vote is not enough?
probably

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

cloak wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:31 pm
FL410AV8R wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:18 pm
Hmmm, "fellow union"? are you sure they are fellow union members? And in full company uniform? You may be surprised to find legal problems (not to mention ethical ones) with this action. Are Air Canada pilots allowed by their corporation to wear their uniform in public in large demonstrations not pertaining to their own company? Are their uniforms properties of the corporation or union? So many questions ...
Fellow "union pilots" absolutely. Emphasis on union AND pilot.

Clearly, there is a double standard, companies are seemingly allowed to form their own alliances (unions) such as NACC and ATAC to pursue common agendas outside of commercial competition but when pilots from different companies and/or unions get together it is somehow nefarious.

United pilots across this industry are the worst nightmare of these corporate bozos.

As for the uniform question, you will have to take that up with someone who actually cares about it, because it is a pretty weak excuse to threaten discipline on.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Interesting that you talk about the union of capitalist corporations against the downtrodden pilots that now also have joined in brotherhood, yet one of these pilot groups was there to support the brothers and sisters with the knowledge and blessing of the mother corp....things aren't always what they seem! We don't know what we don't know!

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

There was a memo from our MEC stating that we should go and support the WJ pilots at the AGM, simply sans the company logos. i.e.; wings and hat as our company did not want our participation. And why would they? With wawcon going up at other carriers, they will have to match or exceed it to attract and retain crews.

Return to “WestJet”