WestJet pilots to fly Swoop aircraft

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: WestJet pilots to fly Swoop aircraft

Post by Dry Guy »

And how do you plan to achieve improved wages and conditions now that the strike card has been taken off the table? Management can just say no and all you can do is say oh, ok.
They have already shown that they are hostile towards your group by hiring OTS for Swoop. They aren't going to give you more money out of the goodness of their heart.
---------- ADS -----------

Snagmaster E
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Snagmaster E »

Dry Guy wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:28 am And how do you plan to achieve improved wages and conditions now that the strike card has been taken off the table? Management can just say no and all you can do is say oh, ok.
They have already shown that they are hostile towards your group by hiring OTS for Swoop. They aren't going to give you more money out of the goodness of their heart.
Mediation/arbitration. They can't just say no and that's that.

Money, wish I had it...
cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

I see this as the age of adolescence for WestJet and onset of maturity. Their airline is maturing from a small low cost carrier to a major airline flying to the four corners of the globe. This will naturally create some anxiety and concern, but will ultimately create lots of new opportunities for everyone and lots more. They will succeed as an airline if they keep their focus on the big picture and understand and support the big plan which is to protect the low end of the market from other ULCCs and Rouge with Swoop while also expanding at the mainline with wide body aircraft and creating lots of new opportunities everywhere. If they keep focus on the bigger picture as opposed to little details they will succeed. If they foster positive energy and good will, as opposed to attacking others with anger and negative energy, they will succeed. It's the law of attraction, one attracts more of what one portrays.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Dry Guy wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:28 am And how do you plan to achieve improved wages and conditions now that the strike card has been taken off the table? Management can just say no and all you can do is say oh, ok.
I argued a similar point, but what you find in arbitration is more of a 50/50 mentality.

The pilot group gives a little, and so does the management.

My fear is that there is so much that seems to need fixing that it may not all be completed in one agreement and so the most important items need to be brought forth.

The MEC and pilot group have to decide where to draw the lines in the sand. I am very curious to see what comes out the other other end of the pipe on this one, now that they've got Swoop under control (for the most part).

S.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

If there is too much difference between AC and WJ contracts then WJ will struggle with expansion as they will have limited applicants and not enough pilots. It appears WJ management has their head stuck in the sand and isn't seeing the shortage of pilots. As an outsider, why would I want to work for a company where management is actively and agressively trying to screw their pilots into a sub-par contract. Management needs a good contract in order to attract applicants. Hopefully they'll realise this.

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

Yep, that about sums it up.
Good post.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:18 pm If there is too much difference between AC and WJ contracts then WJ will struggle with expansion as they will have limited applicants and not enough pilots. It appears WJ management has their head stuck in the sand and isn't seeing the shortage of pilots. As an outsider, why would I want to work for a company where management is actively and agressively trying to screw their pilots into a sub-par contract. Management needs a good contract in order to attract applicants. Hopefully they'll realise this.
While I hope you are right, I doubt it though. AC has way more applicants than spots available. Not every WJ pilot who wants to work at AC will get in.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
flyzam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyzam »

digits_ wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:56 pm
goingnowherefast wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:18 pm If there is too much difference between AC and WJ contracts then WJ will struggle with expansion as they will have limited applicants and not enough pilots. It appears WJ management has their head stuck in the sand and isn't seeing the shortage of pilots. As an outsider, why would I want to work for a company where management is actively and agressively trying to screw their pilots into a sub-par contract. Management needs a good contract in order to attract applicants. Hopefully they'll realise this.
While I hope you are right, I doubt it though. AC has way more applicants than spots available. Not every WJ pilot who wants to work at AC will get in.
And big red still only pays $55k for the first few years. In the pit compared to international wages.

Before you pride yourself on being a big fish, make sure you're not swimming in a puddle.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

There is no real pilot shortage in Canada. If there was, AC would be paying more than $55k.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

atphat wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:56 pm I’m not sure anyone here understands what went on. Lol. It’s not a B scale. It’s one set of working conditions. If it’s a B scale at Swoop it’ll be a B scale at Mainline. i.e if it moves to reserve or 18 days worked, it’ll be the same at both WJ and Swoop.

If the WJ pilot group was willing to accept a B scale to fly Swoop, they would have already been flying Swoop on the B scale. Something the WJPA would have gladly handed them.

There will be changes no doubt. But it won’t be an AC Mainline / Rouge relationship.

Capiche?
You really don't get it do you. Your MEC bailed because they knew they were getting nowhere with their outrageous demands. Now they can say, look we really tried but the big bad government stepped in so now we're stuck with what they give us. Did you guys really not see this coming? The only "win" so far is that WJ pilots will have the option to move over to fly the Swoop a/c. Of course the WJ pilot group is not willing to accept a B scale at Swoop but that doesn't matter anymore. This this is now an arbitration and I guarantee you, Swoop pilots will not be working under WJ WAWCON. I also predict you will not see any great gains in your current WAWCON, you may even go backwards because arbitration in Canadian aviation seldom favours the pilots and let's face it, things there aren't nearly as bad as some of you would have us believe. In the end, Swoop will be B scale, there won't be any real gains in current working conditions and you will be out 1.9% of your salary. At least until ALPA decides they want to claw back all the money they spent getting you there, and they do a one time assessment. Then you will be out a helluva lot more. Ask any of your ex-Air Ontario brethren.

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

Yep you know it all true north. Top bad you didn't see our email on Friday that tells usthe gains that have been solidified. But you know more

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

Keep telling yourself that Legacy. When all is said and done I'll be quite happy to come back and you can tell me, I told you so. :lol:

Ain't going to happen.

But do carry on.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Swoop pilots will not be working under WJ WAWCON. I also predict you will not see any great gains in your current WAWCON, you may even go backwards
This is also what I suspect will happen but hoping to be proven wrong. I will consider it a win and well worth the ALPA dues if the WJ and Woops WAWCON are the same as current contract with no major gains. That way everything is protected, you're not moving backwards, and things can be improved incrementally as the CA comes up for renewal.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

ahramin wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:03 pm
Swoop pilots will not be working under WJ WAWCON. I also predict you will not see any great gains in your current WAWCON, you may even go backwards
This is also what I suspect will happen but hoping to be proven wrong. I will consider it a win and well worth the ALPA dues if the WJ and Woops WAWCON are the same as current contract with no major gains. That way everything is protected, you're not moving backwards, and things can be improved incrementally as the CA comes up for renewal.
Very sensible ahramin and I would say the very best you could hope for. I truly hope that is the outcome for you guys, but I don't think it's likely.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Arbitrators don’t move very much from status quo. What they don’t do is hand out pay cuts. They don’t create winners and losers. First contracts are usually just your current working conditions in writing plus a grievance procedure. Keep in mind the arbitrator is only dealing with a dispute between WJ and its pilots. Whatever the WAWCON was at swoop is irrelevant.

IOW the most likely outcome is status quo and inflation raises, except for areas the two sides come to an agreement on.

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

True North wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:02 pm Keep telling yourself that Legacy. When all is said and done I'll be quite happy to come back and you can tell me, I told you so. :lol:

Ain't going to happen.

But do carry on.
Yep we will. Thanks. Buh bye

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

True North wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:49 pm
atphat wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:56 pm I’m not sure anyone here understands what went on. Lol. It’s not a B scale. It’s one set of working conditions. If it’s a B scale at Swoop it’ll be a B scale at Mainline. i.e if it moves to reserve or 18 days worked, it’ll be the same at both WJ and Swoop.

If the WJ pilot group was willing to accept a B scale to fly Swoop, they would have already been flying Swoop on the B scale. Something the WJPA would have gladly handed them.

There will be changes no doubt. But it won’t be an AC Mainline / Rouge relationship.

Capiche?
You really don't get it do you. Your MEC bailed because they knew they were getting nowhere with their outrageous demands. Now they can say, look we really tried but the big bad government stepped in so now we're stuck with what they give us. Did you guys really not see this coming? The only "win" so far is that WJ pilots will have the option to move over to fly the Swoop a/c. Of course the WJ pilot group is not willing to accept a B scale at Swoop but that doesn't matter anymore. This this is now an arbitration and I guarantee you, Swoop pilots will not be working under WJ WAWCON. I also predict you will not see any great gains in your current WAWCON, you may even go backwards because arbitration in Canadian aviation seldom favours the pilots and let's face it, things there aren't nearly as bad as some of you would have us believe. In the end, Swoop will be B scale, there won't be any real gains in current working conditions and you will be out 1.9% of your salary. At least until ALPA decides they want to claw back all the money they spent getting you there, and they do a one time assessment. Then you will be out a helluva lot more. Ask any of your ex-Air Ontario brethren.
“Some” Trip RIGs and YOS 1:1 is already solidified. That itself is a huge gain for WJ pilots. No one is expecting a huge hourly wage increase. That wasn’t even a part of this whole mess. Thing like benefits and LTD/STD not being pilot paid are also things that would be considered a big win from current status quo.

Would love to hear some of your examples of the “outrageous demands” you speak of.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Maritimer wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:33 pm
True North wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Capiche?
“Some” Trip RIGs and YOS 1:1 is already solidified. That itself is a huge gain for WJ pilots. No one is expecting a huge hourly wage increase. That wasn’t even a part of this whole mess. Thing like benefits and LTD/STD not being pilot paid are also things that would be considered a big win from current status quo.

Would love to hear some of your examples of the “outrageous demands” you speak of.
I remember one of the last places I worked the LTD/STD were paid for, but eventually moved onto the pilots shoulders due to the fact that those benefits are tax free if paid for by the employee.

If covered by the company, they are taxed at the normal rate.

6 in one, half a dozen in the other. It's all whether the work environment will cause you to need them is what makes the difference.

S.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

True North so salty :lol:

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

What if that whole Swoop business was just a bluff ? Once everything is signed, since Swoop was the biggest issue, Westjet can just agree to let Westjet pilots fly Swoop against having them agree to other major concessions, and then just Sweep Swoop under the rug.
Naw, it couln't be. No one is that cynical

What has Westjet realy invested in Swoop so far ? New aircraft leases ? New purchases ? New hangars ? Don't know, its a genuine question.

Return to “WestJet”