WestJet pilots to fly Swoop aircraft

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: WestJet pilots to fly Swoop aircraft

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

calgaryguy wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 pm
FlairAirlines wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:54 am Flair Airlines welcomes any pilots displaced by the recent news.. we should have another Training class in the Fall.. please watch our website or AvCanada for our postings when we do!
According to friends at Flair the pilots however will not welcome you. The majority of Flair pilots support the ALPA ban and the Westjet pilots. Bottom of the list for you as FO. They don't want scabs either.
Flair has to make it out negotiations first before anyone makes a move there I would imagine, they do however hire DEC, but BOTL for seniority is true.

I think they are anticipating type rated 37 guys from this Swoop fallout, which I would imagine is going to grind to a halt here any day now.

Is there an accurate list of the Swoop pilots that's been put together so these random accusations can stop. Still can't believe 42 pilots are going into limbo here shortly.

Crazy.

S.
---------- ADS -----------

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

I was at CAE in YYZ couple of weeks ago and had the opportunity to verify the swoop list that is circulating in the wild. I can vouch for the 16 names there including our friend, of course. I know I'll be paying close attention to the PIL and any of those guys trying to sneak through on the jumpseater privilege will be shown the door and I know a few Capts who feel the same.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

Where does one acquire said list? :D

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

daedalusx wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:43 pm I was at CAE in YYZ couple of weeks ago and had the opportunity to verify the swoop list that is circulating in the wild. I can vouch for the 16 names there including our friend, of course. I know I'll be paying close attention to the PIL and any of those guys trying to sneak through on the jumpseater privilege will be shown the door and I know a few Capts who feel the same.
Didn't know XX was actually in ground school with Swoop, his profile said he had left the airlines and was firmly with TSB. I thought he was just passionately arguing the other side.

My apologies mb8vr.

S.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

sportingrifle wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:00 pm And lets not forget the "Wing Suit" guy, who has been unusually quiet the last few days. I am sure he has notified management and the union that when the new contract is in place, he wants to work under the old wages, benefits, and work rules. After all, anyone so proud to have nothing to do with the union, certainly wouldn't feel comfortable accepting personal gains negotiated by the union. :roll:
Unusually quiet because he was dealing with some non-work stuff in mid-May and on Monday past he drove back down to Twin Falls on Monday to continue working on his BASE jumping skills in advance of a trip to Brento, Italy to jump off those nice mountains in a tracking suit and parachute. At this point, I could care less what ALPA does. My hope is that the unhappy pilots find happiness, and the happy pilots keep doing what makes them happy. In the end, I hope you all find what you were looking for. I wonder, in the end, will the result be worth it. Me, I'm happy to continue working under the current agreement until I leave WJ.

I had one jump this morning from the Perrine bridge before getting weathered out. With the crappy pilot agreement negotiated by the WJPA, I have another 25 days before I have to be back to work. I'm getting more comfortable overcoming (well, trying to overcome) the fear of leaping off the bridge, but it is not easy. Millions of years of evolution and an ape's brain work against me every jump. Being 52, I don't learn as quickly as the 22 year olds I am jumping with, nor is the physical exertion of making it back up to the top of the 486 foot exit point without its toll on my body.

And please don't think my absence here is anything but a lack of interest. I've got the BASE bug bad and I have a second rig arriving Monday. What the WJ pilots do with their psychic energy is purely up to themselves. I remain solidly motivated by self-interest and a desire to see the company do well. And fear, I am motivated by the desire to overcome my fears...not sure why.

I didn't bring a GoPro with me on this trip as I am concentrating solely on the BASE skills of a strong push from the exit (which for me is a challenge with my weak ass leg muscles), a good arch and symmetrical body position, and a strong and proper pilot chute throw, and finally good canopy skills. I don't need to be publish videos to show what a hero I am, in my mind, I'm already a legend.

That's all for now, Jungs, enjoy my brief hommage to the leader of the known universe.

The rock-starrest of 52 year-old Rock Stars,

Johnny "the f#cking legend" Swallow

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flyingsquirrelsuck »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:03 pm
sportingrifle wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:00 pm And lets not forget the "Wing Suit" guy, who has been unusually quiet the last few days. I am sure he has notified management and the union that when the new contract is in place, he wants to work under the old wages, benefits, and work rules. After all, anyone so proud to have nothing to do with the union, certainly wouldn't feel comfortable accepting personal gains negotiated by the union. :roll:
Unusually quiet because he was dealing with some non-work stuff in mid-May and on Monday past he drove back down to Twin Falls on Monday to continue working on his BASE jumping skills in advance of a trip to Brento, Italy to jump off those nice mountains in a tracking suit and parachute. At this point, I could care less what ALPA does. My hope is that the unhappy pilots find happiness, and the happy pilots keep doing what makes them happy. In the end, I hope you all find what you were looking for. I wonder, in the end, will the result be worth it. Me, I'm happy to continue working under the current agreement until I leave WJ.

I had one jump this morning from the Perrine bridge before getting weathered out. With the crappy pilot agreement negotiated by the WJPA, I have another 25 days before I have to be back to work. I'm getting more comfortable overcoming (well, trying to overcome) the fear of leaping off the bridge, but it is not easy. Millions of years of evolution and an ape's brain work against me every jump. Being 52, I don't learn as quickly as the 22 year olds I am jumping with, nor is the physical exertion of making it back up to the top of the 486 foot exit point without its toll on my body.

And please don't think my absence here is anything but a lack of interest. I've got the BASE bug bad and I have a second rig arriving Monday. What the WJ pilots do with their psychic energy is purely up to themselves. I remain solidly motivated by self-interest and a desire to see the company do well. And fear, I am motivated by the desire to overcome my fears...not sure why.

I didn't bring a GoPro with me on this trip as I am concentrating solely on the BASE skills of a strong push from the exit (which for me is a challenge with my weak ass leg muscles), a good arch and symmetrical body position, and a strong and proper pilot chute throw, and finally good canopy skills. I don't need to be publish videos to show what a hero I am, in my mind, I'm already a legend.

That's all for now, Jungs, enjoy my brief hommage to the leader of the known universe.

Thank goodness John’s ok. I was getting worried and losing sleep not seeing his posts.

Your the best John

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Flyingsquirrelsuck wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:09 pm
Thank goodness John’s ok. I was getting worried and losing sleep not seeing his posts.

Your the best John
You're.

J Roc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by J Roc »

sportingrifle wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:00 pm

Attachments
No one gives a shit.jpg
No one gives a shit.jpg (56.8 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

Most are saying BOTL for the Swoop guys. It was recently mentioned in a previous post; but shouldn't they still be blacklisted/banned and shown the door? If you circumvent the blacklist now, it will have little effect in the future should a similar circumstance arise. Those facing a blacklist won't care and simply apply/fly for the scab airline knowing full well they'll just get integrated into the fold. This makes ALPA weaker, and more of a boy who cried wolf.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Ultimately, corporations will hire whoever they want. Unions don't hold those cards directly.

But it's the relationship with their existing staff that they jeopardize, along with culture, team, mutual respect... Many companies/managers possibly won't care though, to their detriment...

Spite for labour that stood up for themselves? Showing them who's boss? Who knows...

Why risk it though? There are other people with the same qualifications that won't damage the relationship further with existing employees. That's a good business decision as far as I'm concerned, why provoke when it's just as easy not too?

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

Well... WS just posted job ads for Swoop on indeed today https://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=d177c2 ... serp&vjs=3

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

The arrogance of WJ management truly knows no bounds.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Perhaps the rumors of scope being secured were premature.

WhatThe?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WhatThe? »

Holy shit the Captain rates are equal to the RP positions at AC....

Demeter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Demeter »

scope has yet to be settled along with most of the other big important things :rolleyes:
Benefits
Deadhead / Crew Rest
Hours of Service
OCD
Pay & Compensation
Pension
Reduced Block Program
Reserve
Scheduling Rules
Scope
Workplace Injury
The arbitration process will decide the wages and working conditions at swoop along with those big ticket items. Funny thing is swoop was always there for us to fly before it came this messy. Oh well. Here we are to watch the spin after the arbitration is done. Good news though! We agreed on the preamble and yos! :rolleyes:

Rezy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rezy »

Demeter wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 pm scope has yet to be settled along with most of the other big important things :rolleyes:
Benefits
Deadhead / Crew Rest
Hours of Service
OCD
Pay & Compensation
Pension
Reduced Block Program
Reserve
Scheduling Rules
Scope
Workplace Injury
The arbitration process will decide the wages and working conditions at swoop along with those big ticket items. Funny thing is swoop was always there for us to fly before it came this messy. Oh well. Here we are to watch the spin after the arbitration is done. Good news though! We agreed on the preamble and yos! :rolleyes:

YOS and duty rigs are huge wins for the ALPA negotiating team. If swoop working conditions are at all better than current rates then ALPA did a better job than the WJPA.
So far ALPA is killing it. YOS and duty rigs were never gonna happen for the WJPA. So WJ Pilots are already miles ahead of where they would have been.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

Rezy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:38 pm
Demeter wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 pm scope has yet to be settled along with most of the other big important things :rolleyes:
Benefits
Deadhead / Crew Rest
Hours of Service
OCD
Pay & Compensation
Pension
Reduced Block Program
Reserve
Scheduling Rules
Scope
Workplace Injury

YOS and duty rigs are huge wins for the ALPA negotiating team. If swoop working conditions are at all better than current rates then ALPA did a better job than the WJPA.
So far ALPA is killing it. YOS and duty rigs were never gonna happen for the WJPA. So WJ Pilots are already miles ahead of where they would have been.
The “give” will likely be in most of the variable compensation areas such as RSUs, options, ESPP and profit share. As a package they will be a lot less if not eliminated in some cases, with the base compensation and benefits rising. Effectively WestJet will see ALPA as the out-sourcing organization operating the aircraft at a fixed rate with fixed terms that will allow a known cost model to operate within.

Canadianjetpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canadianjetpilot »

Rezy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:38 pm
Benefits
Deadhead / Crew Rest
Hours of Service
OCD
Pay & Compensation
Pension
Reduced Block Program
Reserve
Scheduling Rules
Scope
Workplace Injury

That's right, ALPA is indeed making gains.

What the WJPA couldn't get done in 5+ years ALPA supported negotiation did in 9 months.

Canadianjetpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canadianjetpilot »

...and the top three items for a vast majority were YOS, Trip/Duty and Swoop. So that alone is batting a 1000.

Demeter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Demeter »

Like I said the swoop flying was always there (pre and post Alpa) but not at same wages and working conditions. Alpa didn’t accept that. Now it will be decided by someone else. So in my mind that’s not a “win” as you mentioned. Those remaining items on the list are only the most important things to the majority now decided by an arbitrator. :P well done? Debatable at best.

Return to “WestJet”