ULP from CUPE

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: ULP from CUPE

Post by mbav8r »

In this case, it’s called quality control, the product is changing and allowing someone to represent that product based on seniority is not always best. I believe at AC the FAs need to interview for the JETZ charters, otherwise it could be the wrong personality in that job.
I don’t see a problem with it, obviously it’s something that can be abused by the company, ie; certain FAs who may be considered union instigators might not have a successful interview with no reason provided.
---------- ADS -----------

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
FenceSitter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FenceSitter »

I’m loathe to start another thread on CUPE so I’ll just append this gem here. CUPE, in its collectivist wisdom chose to announce a card count mere days ahead of the signing of an MOA for the FAs that would have improved several areas for them. Now, with the card count in place, and should it be successful, CUPE has initiated the statutory freeze on work terms. Had they waited, even just a couple of days, they could have given the FAs better working conditions (than they now have), until the signing of their first contract.

Unions...

Anything and everything proposed by the company and it's fully owned and controlled union has zero weight whatsoever. It doesn't matter what was in the MOA as there is no legal weight to it and no consequence for the company breaking their commitments.
Why does anyone have any value in company made commitments? They have proven with the pilot group that they are ready, willing, and able to go against any agreement or MOA (Swoop flying anyone?). It took a union to keep them to their word. What the heck would or could the WJPA have done? Nothing. What can WCCA/FAAB do if the company breaks their word? NOTHING!!!!!
Pining for WEA is pathetic. Whining for any MOA is ridiculous. Nothing, absolutely nothing, contained in it is enforceable as a collective. The MOA was simply a prettier roll of TP than the current agreement the FAs have. It would have ended up in the same place too when convenient for the company.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Remember that wide body MOA that promised dead-heading pilots plus seats? Then how no CSA honored that? Then how the company decided to start filling plus seats with travel companions before deadheading crew?

Whatever was in the MOA, it didn't/doesn't matter. The company can pick and choose what to honour as it's just a piece of paper. Not a contract.

The MOA was always going to be a moving carrot/stall tactic. It had already been delayed.

They obviously had the 50% (I don't think they are stupid) and decided it was time to file.

Return to “WestJet”