Quarterly loss

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Quarterly loss

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Regardless if you’re an ALPA fanboi or not, there is no denying that WJ management is attributing the quarterly loss primarily to the actions of ALPA. In short, they blame ALPA and hold them responsible for destroying the narrative of continued profitability due to a corporate flexibility that enables the company to react quickly and effectively to the changing competitive landscape.

So, how would you feel, if you were management? In a mood of charity? No sir, you’re going to legally extract your pound of flesh. You’re going to interpret every single line item of every pilot oriented matter in the blackest of black and white possible.

Some pilots think this is a desirable situation. Good luck with that lol.

ALPA has used its power. Good for them! Now you can reap the results of that. What a joke (double) lol. Pyrrhic victory comes to mind.
---------- ADS -----------

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

KAG wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:01 am
Greenbastard wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:44 pm Weedpro you are truly an asshole. @#$! you, I hope you and your squirrel suit slam in a cliff.
We may disagree with John's opinions, but never ever wish injury to a fellow aviator. Not cool.
I'm amazed a post like that is allowed. You would think wishing death on someone would be verboten. I've been deleted for much tamer stuff than that.

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

Hahaha...big whoop, we lost 20 million for the first time in 13 years!!!! I guess we should forget the last 1 billion in profit over last 3 years. Hahaha. 2018, will still be a profit year!
Westjet will be targetting $500million (public projections 2019 onwards) in profit/year and pilots will be getting their fair share !
To think we would be better without our own independant representation is immature. Westjet is maturing so should the pilots.

Fast forward in 1 year, when WJ pilots are earning 20% more (westjet is making good profits as usual) and working less, ALPA will have shown their strengths and superiority to any other representation route.
YOS, duty rigs, pay increase, schedule improvements, health plan cost reductions, swoop flying/opportunity, PENSIONS.

WE (pilots and employees) ALSO HAVE TO ADJUST TO A NEW CBA AND THE FOLLOWING: Exec. changes, widebody, swoop, westjet link, Gazette rules, ENCORE FLOW, pilot shortage. Stressful times indeed but worth every drop of sweat.
Props to the folks at ALPA. Keep it up.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Remember, the BOD/C-suite devise how/when to allocate costs/gains to best suit their needs over time, and shifting is part of the game they play.

They may take a hit short term declaring the loss, but they could just as easily have declared a profit. After years of profit, they create a crisis just in time to tell you the cupboard is empty

This ability to control the story over time is what they do to make you question your conviction or turn labour against each other. Don't fall for it.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

There isn't any significant leeway under IFRS accounting rules (that WestJet is now reporting to) for BOD or executive "adaption" of the books, that's why many Canadian companies are having to backwardly relate their change in earnings to the IFRS rules they now have to abide by. GAAP had some flexibility in this regard, but IFRS removed it.

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

Or, this is the beginning of the transition. Phase out Westjet and replace it with Swoop. Start laying off people and offering them year one salaries at Swoop. Sure hope I'm way off on this. What is the average age of the pilots at WestJet? Wondering if there is just way too many guys going to be sitting at the top of the scale for the next 20 years for managements liking.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

x-wind wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:44 pm Or, this is the beginning of the transition. Phase out Westjet and replace it with Swoop. Start laying off people and offering them year one salaries at Swoop. Sure hope I'm way off on this. What is the average age of the pilots at WestJet? Wondering if there is just way too many guys going to be sitting at the top of the scale for the next 20 years for managements liking.
You can speculate all you want, but the company has shown to investors how WestJet and Swoop fit into the long term picture. Market confidence in the company will not be restored if the plan isn't substantially executed: https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-web/d ... or-day.pdf The two operations fulfil two very separate needs. You can learn a lot by listening in to the answers to the analysts questions to the exec on the quarterly calls, such as the one from last Tues: http://services.choruscall.ca/links/wes ... 80731.html

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

Hey aerobod, it is a strong business case they've made imho hitting both ends of the market. It would be quiet a unprecedented maneuver. I've listened to the calls it is hard to imagine they'd be planning something like this and having to lie to everyone. For sure this is just wild speculation on my part. But, say they did have a 5 year plan to destroy the teal brand and move everything over to Swoop. Was a disruption that would be. Perhaps they'd regain that 30% or more cost advantage and now at a serious scale.

All the market research goes against the idea I guess. ULCC has a space in Canada apparently and WJ has been all about getting those business travelers for years now. Could Swoop be both things? First class up front and ULCC.

Maybe I'm just overly spooked today from reading the news about the plans to expedite the growth of Swoop.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

x-wind wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:19 pm Hey aerobod, it is a strong business case they've made imho hitting both ends of the market. It would be quiet a unprecedented maneuver. I've listened to the calls it is hard to imagine they'd be planning something like this and having to lie to everyone. For sure this is just wild speculation on my part. But, say they did have a 5 year plan to destroy the teal brand and move everything over to Swoop. Was a disruption that would be. Perhaps they'd regain that 30% or more cost advantage and now at a serious scale.

All the market research goes against the idea I guess. ULCC has a space in Canada apparently and WJ has been all about getting those business travelers for years now. Could Swoop be both things? First class up front and ULCC.

Maybe I'm just overly spooked today from reading the news about the plans to expedite the growth of Swoop.
Although I've recently retired from WestJet, not breaking any NDA rules, I can say that the business processes and aircraft configurations required by Swoop and Mainline are sufficiently different that you can't mix the fleet or product offering. ULCCs have their place, but can't cover the majority of passenger needs (as can be seen by Ryanair's growth now approaching a saturation point in the markets they serve). From an analysis perspective, trying to meet all passenger needs in all markets with a hybrid ULCC/LCC/Legacy carrier won't be cost competitive against pure ULCCs. This is why Swoop and Mainline are fundamentally different in their paths and execution.

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

Thanks very much for insights aerobod.

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:23 am And you see no connection between the first quarterly loss in 50 quarters and the industrial action threat from ALPA? You’d have to be on glue.

I read your union’s latest MEC update the other day. Pro tip: if they are serious about mending fences with the company, their first step should be a wholesale cleaning of the current leadership. I’d name names, but I might violate the company’s RITW policy, so I won’t.

That said, the reality is that after today’s results, the company will not soon warm to the organization that caused this loss.

And given the complete ineffectiveness of ALPA’s tenure at WJ, I can only trust that discontent is growing in the pilot ranks with ALPA.

But to take your mind off the terrible predicament WJ pilots find themselves in, have a look at this.

Alright you ALPA fanboys, I’m off to continue climbing.

Johnny
I'm going to chalk that up as another one in the win column for me: I called it!!

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

Greenbastard wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:44 pm Weedpro you are truly an asshole. @#$! you, I hope you and your squirrel suit slam in a cliff.
We may disagree with John's opinions, but never ever wish injury to a fellow aviator. Not cool.
Thank you KAG. I believe the person who posted that comment directed at me is now on an LEC Executive at WJ. How can there ever be hope for the pilot group at WJ with the lack of emotional control shown by this individual?

double-j
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by double-j »

Good lord John, I hope you are mistaken. If so this must be addressed so that this emotion is curtailed and this individual offers a sincere apology. Not cool Mr. Bastard.

Merry Christmas.

JA

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

China_CAAC_Exam wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:05 pm
Thank you KAG. I believe the person who posted that comment directed at me is now on an LEC Executive at WJ. How can there ever be hope for the pilot group at WJ with the lack of emotional control shown by this individual?
John, dont my get me wrong, while I dont wish you physical harm, I think youre a tool with some deep seeded mental issues. Right or wrong you've made a complete ass of yourself online, destroyed your reputation within our ranks and for what? You could have used that annoying OCD gift of yours to benifet your fellow aviators but instead choose to stir the pot. I figure you're praying for someone to sue alpa using some of the points you've brought up so you can climb aboard your soap box and proclaim how great you are. Anyway have yourself a safe and happy holiday.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

Return to “WestJet”