No more WJ non-stop YEG-LAS

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: No more WJ non-stop YEG-LAS

Post by moe »

He will never get it.
Self-absorbed loser.
---------- ADS -----------

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

moe wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:57 pm He will never get it.
Self-absorbed loser.
I know right? But Hangry still keeps at it, oh well.

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

anyone know why they brought back 4x week YEG-LAS? just curious.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

With the ESPP you can sell the shares, move them to a TFSA or spousal RRSP and self manage your retirement in a tax efficient manner.
If tax efficiency is your concern, ESPP starts you off on the wrong foot...

DC pensions and Manulife funds aren't the only options for groups looking to save efficiently for retirement.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JakeLRS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JakeLRS »

DropTanks wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:45 am
evilgravy wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:01 pm anyone know why they brought back 4x week YEG-LAS? just curious.
Public revolt. People canceling their WJ mastercards because point are useless on Swoop. Must have been an alarming number of complaints to the call center.
I think that's part of it. Swoops Vegas runs are down by 4 (make room for westjet). I feel like Flair played a small factor as well, 3/4 departure times are near the same time Flair flies the YEG-LAS route.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

tbaylx wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:17 pm
aidos wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:40 pm
tbaylx wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:56 am

Why would anyone want to give up the ESPP for a DC pension. With the ESPP you can sell the shares, move them to a TFSA or spousal RRSP and self manage your retirement in a tax efficient manner. With a DC pension you get to buy overpriced Manulife mutual funds and have no control over your investments. What’s the attraction? Am I missing something?

Tbaylx.

I am a westjet pilot of 10+ years.

Firstly let me try to explain how you, and your fellow original DEC swoop captains, are seen by the rest of us westjet pilots.....

- I would guess about 20% of us are OK with you accepting your positions, or have no opinion on the matter.
- about another 20% are at the other end of spectrum. They are furious, insulted, and do not hide it. You no doubt have been conversing with a few of these types on this site. They will have no problem letting you know how they feel, either anonymously on this forum, and even in person.
- about 60% are very upset how you slid into our WESTJET planes, undercutting us, taking our upgrades etc. This group however are more likely to not say anything to you, especially in person. I would consider myself to be in this group. Make no mistake, we all know who you are. We may not say anything to you, but you will most likely carry a certain “stigma” attached to your name for a very long time ( right or wrong).

You seem to have many reasons to justify in your mind why is was OK to accept your position at swoop. I can tell from your posts that you, and I assume all of your “original swoopster” peers, are smart people. I am sure you knew how your choice to accept the captain spot at swoop would be seen by Westjet pilots. I will admit that you may not have known just how much animosity there would be, or downplayed it in your mind to make your decision easier to justify. You are but one of a long list of pilots who step on the heels of others for their own gain. For too long pilots have been accepting sub-par wages, or offer to fly for free to build time, or skip the wait for an upgrade. All this does is bring down pilot wages collectively, and makes it harder for those pilots looking to advance pilot respsect, wages and working conditions. I suppose due to human nature this will continue until we are part of a collective professional association of sorts. However it does not make it right.

Most of the original 26 swoop captains seem to lay low. For some reason you seem to have made your self the spokes person for swoop pilots on this forum and elsewhere, and that is fine. I would however, like to humbly suggest you refrain from telling us how great our is ESP is. Having been here less than a year, you are hardly qualified to realize the long term implication of our ESP program. I think most pilots at westjet having tenure of 2- 20 years, who have been through many ups and downs of the stock price etc have earned enough experience on the topic to express their concerns. You haven’t even been here a year, maybe listen to our concerns instead of telling us how great we have it. Believe me, our concerns over how we are paid did not happen over night , or even after a year. Our concerns come with many years of frustration over our current pay structure. I think you better indulge in a big slice of ‘ humble pie’ before you tell people with 5-20 years experience with westjet, how good they have it with or ESP program as it stands.

I find it very ironic that you will now be represented by ALPA, actually the WESTJET MEC of ALPA. These very pilots were recently flying the planes you now fly as Swoop, will now be advocating for better working conditions and pay for you and your fellow Direct entry captains. They are advocating hard to raise the low pay/ benefits and terrible working conditions that you and your fellow initial swoop pilots thought were reasonable. If this isn’t reason enough for you to be a little more humble, than I don’t know what is.

You, and your fellow swoopsters on here ,will no doubt have counter arguments to my comments. And that is fine. It will hardly do anything to change how the majority of us feel.
I'm actually genuinely asking why the ESPP hate, humbly. I'm not trying to tell you how great anything is. Having been on the receiving end of more than a few DC Manulife plans i'm trying to understand why someone would voluntarily choose that. If you can explain that to me it'd be much appreciated.

As for the rest I've said my piece already. Appreciate you sharing your point of view respectfully.

It’s all about affordability. To get “industry medium pay” the espp is a part of it. Doing espp reduces your net pay to a unsustainable pay check. You go into debt each month. When it comes time to sell our stock hasn’t been preforming for years and all that stress is for naught. For example the espp at top scales nets you about 10% after tax. Given the stock volatility it hasn’t been fully paying off. Factor in a modest 4% interest on a line of credit to help carry you over your net gain is 6% assuming no stock loss. Now if you can afford to live of your net pay without dipping into the espp it’s a great system, most of us can’t and therefore don’t do as much. Our compensation is no longer “market medium”. Also doing the espp for 11 plus years I’ve seen the stock cut in half twice, I needed that stock those years. The current 20% dip erased everyone’s contribution from last year. So a lot of us (not all) would rather a different compensation model. Hate it no, like to see changes yes.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

Return to “WestJet”