China_CAAC's Merged Threads

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: SWOOP OTS Captains punted from left seat...

Post by .80@410 »

[/quote]

Maybe he didn't want to go to Chinese. Maybe he wanted to go to Japanese or South Korean.. maybe even a first world country that isnt hobbled by unions and has fair wages and benefits like new zealandese or Australian?
[/quote]

They can have him. Too bad he didn’t go there first .

“ hobbled by unions “
Please...

WJ has gotten away for so long doing whatever they choose... with no recourse for the pilots while they continually eroded our WAWCONs and when they couldn’t do that anymore they tried to circumvent the whole process.
ALPA clotheslined them , BAM ( ya that’s right imagine old school WWE wrestling analogy right there )
Crowd going wild .. you get the picture.
December will be the 3 count :smt040

Finally a level playing field.
Couldn’t be happier !!
---------- ADS -----------

Just callin it like it is.
cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

mbav8r wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:27 pm ...FYI, I am a Jazz guy and I’m not sure what you’re referring too, ironic?
I rest my case! How can you be so mad at this group of people and ok with JAZZ for lowering the bar on B757 pay or worse yet allowing a B scale?
Encore is the same, lowering the pay substantially on Q400, Air Canada for eating its young....Transat's B scale, on and on
Keep your eyes on the ball, not the players! I'm sure you're a nice enough person, but your anger is misplaced. And evidently you are not alone!

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

cloak wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:16 pm [quote=mbav8r post_id=<a href="tel:1054368">1054368</a> time=<a href="tel:1538857676">1538857676</a> user_id=8159]
...FYI, I am a Jazz guy and I’m not sure what you’re referring too, ironic?
I rest my case! How can you be so mad at this group of people and ok with JAZZ for lowering the bar on B757 pay or worse yet allowing a B scale?
Encore is the same, lowering the pay substantially on Q400, Air Canada for eating its young....Transat's B scale, on and on
Keep your eyes on the ball, not the players! I'm sure you're a nice enough person, but your anger is misplaced. And evidently you are not alone!
[/quote]

So you are saying it’s ironic for Encore pilots to have an opinion on a thread like this? Are you implying that Encore pilots lowered the bar? Last I checked we had nothing to do with our current pay standards. There are many of us here fighting to get better WAWCON. I believe the majority of Encore pilots want to make it better here, not only for themselves, but for the pilots to come on the property after them and for the industry as a whole.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

mbav8r wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:26 am Although this is not the outcome wished upon Tbaylx and his ilk, two things jump out as justice served.
The pay being locked in, means he won’t benefit from any gains made in the forthcoming agreement, stuck at the abysmal pay he signed on for is deserved, the other, he won’t be getting 37 PIC to take to a Chinese or wherever contract.
I have to admit, I thought they were going to get ahead because my faith in arbitrators has been soured over the years, they always seem to side with the corporations, perhaps they did.
Also, it seems to have shut him up
I don’t post unless I’ve got something to contribute, that and the expansion and training has kept me busy. In this case I’ll post to correct misinformation, and please, this is pretty much exactly the outcome wished by quite a few, including yourself.

First, it’s pay protection, not a freeze, despite what some may think. Which means the new contract rates and annual steps.
Second most of the ots guys had more than enough experience to go on overseas contracts when they joined (that’s why they were hired in the first place), none of us took the job as a stepping stone to Asia.

While not the outcome we were looking for, we are now on the combined WestJet/Swoop pilot seniority list, getting paid whatever Swoop captain wages are negotiated while we wait for our seniority to hold our positions again. Ask any recent WestJet FOs if they’d have preferred to have been hired on at captain wages while they wait for their left seat. With the wide body growth at mainline, Swoop wages likely arbitrated below mainline rates it won’t be long before there is enough movement that we can bid back for our positions using our new seniority number. If one chooses not to wait then there are plenty of opportunities within Canada and worldwide at the moment.

It ain’t all bad.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Dizzy D wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:17 pm So you are saying it’s ironic for Encore pilots to have an opinion on a thread like this? Are you implying that Encore pilots lowered the bar? Last I checked we had nothing to do with our current pay standards. There are many of us here fighting to get better WAWCON. I believe the majority of Encore pilots want to make it better here, not only for themselves, but for the pilots to come on the property after them and for the industry as a whole.
So you're saying that you didn't decide the WOWCON at Encore, but saw an ad and opportunity that although was below airlines like JAZZ and Porter that operate similar aircraft and on similar routes, it was right for you and you took it, and in the meantime you are trying to improve the situation? Don't you think the same can be said about this situation? Except that the pay at Swoop although lower than WestJet mainline, was comparable with Sunwing, Transat, etc. It's all a matter of perspective and how one looks at the situation from all angles not one's own.

Someone asked is the government changing regulations considered market forces? The answer imo is that all these things are a portion and play a part in determining market forces.

Take housing market for example. The housing market was overheated in many cities particularly Vancouver and Toronto. There were lots of foreign buyers that greatly influenced the market. The government brought in legislation to cool off the market. And that it did. Now we can ask is changing the regulations market forces? Well it plays a part in it. All things do. An individual could have said the market is overheated and I will not be a party to it and will not buy in this market. Would that be market forces? This is the example of this situation and as though other people were saying do not buy in this market to cool it off. Now if everyone was able to follow it at the same time it may influence the market, but the truth is that everyone is in a different situation and makes decisions based on their circumstances and what is right for them. One who already has a place and can wait to buy cheap may like that idea, but another may not be able to do that. The same analogy can be used here that all things play a role in "market forces" including our individual actions, government regulations, the expansion and number of airlines, people travelling, etc. but clearly some don't have as big an impact.

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

tbaylx wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:35 am ...
First, it’s pay protection, not a freeze, despite what some may think. Which means the new contract rates and annual steps.
Hopefully you're right and we'll get years of service at Swoop. Year 1 Captain should go down to 58$/hr as anyone holding Captain position through seniority will never see year 1 Captain pay rates. That way the company will save money on all OTS swoopsters. Don't you wish it was a pay freeze now?

--In his wrapup remarks, the FAA chief said, "If you think the safety bar is set too high, then your
standards are set too low."
munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

Benwa wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:40 am
tbaylx wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:35 am ...
Hopefully you're right and we'll get years of service at Swoop. Year 1 Captain should go down to 58$/hr as anyone holding Captain position through seniority will never see year 1 Captain pay rates. That way the company will save money on all OTS swoopsters. Don't you wish it was a pay freeze now?
Man some of you guys are so vindictive. Let it go. Be a better person.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

tbaylx wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:35 am
With the wide body growth at mainline, Swoop wages likely arbitrated below mainline rates it won’t be long before there is enough movement that we can bid back for our positions using our new seniority number.
Arbitrators in general don't hand out pay cuts. They also don't hand out much in the way of gains. They are keenly aware that to do so would embolden one of the two sides to not negotiate seriously the next time around.

Can you define: "it won't be long"?

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Dreamliner Delivery

2019 3
2020 3
2021 4

These planes are not going to bring the extreme movement being envisioned by some.

Tacoma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tacoma »

Pay protection is a Pay Freeze. You are protected from not having to start at year 1 Swoop FO rate of $55ish per hour. That is it. For example if the current WJ pay scales were to stay the same as they are today, in 5 years you’d be eligible for your first pay increase above your current $103hr as 6th year WJ FO sits at $106.

Once WAWCON are established at SWOOP, the captain positions will go much more senior then they went on the bypass bid. Current WJ captains will bid for YEG, YHM and (potentiallyYXX) captain positions if and when it is a good deal.

For the next few months as WJ pilots fly wetlease for Swoop, passengers will receive the exact same level of service from the pilots upfront as they would from swoop pilots. That will be a pretty good case point for the arbitrator to prove why WAWCON should be the same at both. Same job. Same plane. Same route. Same company.

We will find out in a few months when the management circular is released but I’d guess our new COO will receive 3-3.5 million dollars compensation for 2018(started last week). Our CFO received 2.5 million and EVP HR 2.1 million for 3 months work in 2015. It’ll be interesting how much less SG took then BC as Prez of swoop if WJ group thinks swoopsters all around should be payed less. I bet you it’s more!

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

It was a gamble. Very few applied to Swoop as OTS wether it was the pay, ALPA/ACPA blacklist nonsense or the gut feeling not wanting to step on our brothers and sisters while they were trying to improve their work conditions. At the end of the day, for a lot of us, the risk vs rewards just wasn't worth it. And I would suppose for a lot of the Swoop guys that applied OTS, it was a risk that was worth it and it could have very well went the opposite side and those guys would have jump a 5+ yrs queue with no consequences besides a few dirty looks and mean words on a anonymous forum ...

I can't really feel bad about any of those Swoop guys just like I can't feel bad about the dude who tanks his paycheck in a slot machine. Anyhow, all those guys got a current 737NG PPC so I'm sure no one will be starving comes Christmas.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Tacoma wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:20 am Pay protection is a Pay Freeze. You are protected from not having to start at year 1 Swoop FO rate of $55ish per hour. That is it. For example if the current WJ pay scales were to stay the same as they are today, in 5 years you’d be eligible for your first pay increase above your current $103hr as 6th year WJ FO sits at $106.

Once WAWCON are established at SWOOP, the captain positions will go much more senior then they went on the bypass bid. Current WJ captains will bid for YEG, YHM and (potentiallyYXX) captain positions if and when it is a good deal.

For the next few months as WJ pilots fly wetlease for Swoop, passengers will receive the exact same level of service from the pilots upfront as they would from swoop pilots. That will be a pretty good case point for the arbitrator to prove why WAWCON should be the same at both. Same job. Same plane. Same route. Same company.

We will find out in a few months when the management circular is released but I’d guess our new COO will receive 3-3.5 million dollars compensation for 2018(started last week). Our CFO received 2.5 million and EVP HR 2.1 million for 3 months work in 2015. It’ll be interesting how much less SG took then BC as Prez of swoop if WJ group thinks swoopsters all around should be payed less. I bet you it’s more!
Pay protection is not a pay freeze. Confirmed by those actually paying the bills. It’s whatever rates are negotiated in the new contract as if we were employed as a captain.
I agree that arbitrators don’t usually give large pay cuts or increases, which is why I don’t think Swoop rates will move that much from current levels. Guess we’ll see. If it does go up it’ll benefit the ots guys as well since they’re pay protected

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

tbaylx wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:23 am
Tacoma wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:20 am Pay protection is a Pay Freeze. You are protected from not having to start at year 1 Swoop FO rate of $55ish per hour. That is it. For example if the current WJ pay scales were to stay the same as they are today, in 5 years you’d be eligible for your first pay increase above your current $103hr as 6th year WJ FO sits at $106.

Pay protection is not a pay freeze. Confirmed by those actually paying the bills. It’s whatever rates are negotiated in the new contract as if we were employed as a captain.
I agree that arbitrators don’t usually give large pay cuts or increases, which is why I don’t think Swoop rates will move that much from current levels. Guess we’ll see. If it does go up it’ll benefit the ots guys as well since they’re pay protected
Right.... because the people who pay the bills have been right about so many things lately.... don’t count on promises that are being made before the contract is out.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

cloak wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:44 am So you're saying that you didn't decide the WOWCON at Encore, but saw an ad and opportunity that although was below airlines like JAZZ and Porter that operate similar aircraft and on similar routes, it was right for you and you took it, and in the meantime you are trying to improve the situation? Don't you think the same can be said about this situation? Except that the pay at Swoop although lower than WestJet mainline, was comparable with Sunwing, Transat, etc. It's all a matter of perspective and how one looks at the situation from all angles not one's own.
I don't think the establishment of Encore with lower wages than Jazz is a good comparison, seeing as Encore is a regional subsidiary intended to feed into WestJet's network. WestJet created Swoop using the exact same aircraft as WestJet already used, to operate on routes on which WestJet also operates, but with much, much, much lower pay, so it would be like Jazz creating a subsidiary operating Q400s and paying $20/hr. The fact that Encore pilots made less than the market average is less egregious than the fact that Swoop is intended to eat away at the bottom of WestJet's market, while not contributing anything to the rest of the company.

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

tbaylx wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:23 am

You were employed as a Capt and that rate will be protected, but by the time the CBA is in effect you will be a F/O. You will not be a bypass Capt climbing a pay scale as you sit on a list waiting for a chance to move into a seat. You'll be a F/O waiting for the pay scale to climb to and exceed your protected status. Time will tell and the final order and CBA may further change those conditions as well.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

A few of the OTS guys won’t be downgraded due to their status as managers, as for the rest I guess we’ll just have to wait and see if it’s a freeze or protection.
Why do you guys care anyway? It doesn’t affect you.

Ex DC10 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ex DC10 Driver »

Seriously?....of course it affected us and still does. “JoJo get back, get back to where you once belonged”..

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

tbaylx wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:36 pm Why do you guys care anyway? It doesn’t affect you.

Well, I can only speak for myself but if you and your accomplices start missing car/alimony payments etc I would view it as a tiny bit of karmactic justice.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

Sharklasers wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:59 pm
tbaylx wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:36 pm Why do you guys care anyway? It doesn’t affect you.

Well, I can only speak for myself but if you and your accomplices start missing car/alimony payments etc I would view it as a tiny bit of karmactic justice.
Are you seriously hoping pilots miss their payments? What an evil little piece of skat you are.

Everytime I read statements like this on these boards I shake my head. Yeah yeah it is their fault and they deserve it and you are just the victim. Get a life.

Return to “WestJet”