Cancelled flights.

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

wjawannabe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Cancelled flights.

Post by wjawannabe »

This:

Toronto to Vancouver
Cancelled Flight Friday, Jan 25, 2019 at 4:00 PM Cancelled Flight
WestJet Flight Number: WS717
To: Vancouver, BC (YVR-Vancouver Intl.) Arrive: 6:20 PM
Equipment: Boeing 737-700
Vancouver to Victoria

Cancelled Flight Friday, Jan 25, 2019 at 8:15 PM Cancelled Flight
WestJet Flight Number: WS3189
From: Vancouver, BC (YVR-Vancouver Intl.) Depart: 8:15 PM
To: Victoria, BC (YYJ-Victoria Intl.) Arrive: 8:52 PM
Equipment: DeHavilland Dash 8-400 Turboprop
Operated By: OPERATED BY SUBSIDIARY/FRANCHISE(WS)

Became this:

Toronto to Calgary
Flight Details Friday, Jan 25, 2019 at 10:15 PM
WestJet Flight Number: WS675
To: Calgary, AB (YYC-Calgary Intl.) Arrive: 12:41 AM +1 day
Equipment: Boeing 737-600 Jet

Calgary to Victoria
Flight Details Saturday, Jan 26, 2019 at 7:00 AM
WestJet Flight Number: WS209
To: Victoria, BC (YYJ-Victoria Intl.) Arrive: 7:40 AM
Equipment: Boeing 737-700

Anyone know why?

Turned an already painful 17hr trip into a 28hr trip. Just to get from London to the west coast. Camped out in YYC overnight.

(Apparently they haven’t cancelled the LGW-YYZ flight. Yet.)
---------- ADS -----------

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Cancelled flights.

Post by complexintentions »

Yeah I flew with them once on a similar endurance test from LGW out to BC and back. It was cheap.

Never again. You really really really get what you pay for.

Maybe once they get their 787's they'll actually be able to sell tickets with a straight face but it'll still be the same excruciating attempts at humour no doubt.

Good luck.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
SwoopStar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SwoopStar »

Sounds like trouble with the Encore flight?

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

None of those flights are actually showing as "cancelled".

Maybe worth a call to see what's up.

wjawannabe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wjawannabe »

Yes I called. They swapped a B737 for the B767 on the LGW-YYZ flight. So they have to stop in Halifax for fuel. This makes the connection in Toronto close so instead of a 4pm flight to Vancouver it’s now a 10:15pm flight to Calgary. THAT arrives at 1am, and doesn’t leave for VIctoria until 7 am.

Thus adding 11 hours to the itinerary. Which already sucked, but I accepted that for the cost. But this is just stupid.

Of course, they’re still showing the original itinerary for sale on their site.

A short-haul airline pretending to be a long-haul airline. No explanation for the aircraft swap, I assume it went tech. Total communication fail, referring to the flights as “cancelled”. No explanation, the lady on the phone had to dig for information for nearly 25 min herself.

Note to WestJet: stapling a bunch of flights together does not make you an international airline. The B787 won’t make an ounce of difference (other than the massive capital costs) if you keep the amateur mentality. If you don’t have the fleet capacity wetlease a proper machine like everyone else for god’s sake.

On the plane now. Most of the pax don’t even know we’re stopping in Halifax. The people who figured it out are pissed and worried for connections. Way to be transparent, WestJet!

I’m with complex - this is my 1st and last adventure with this clown show.

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

wjawannabe wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:24 am
Note to WestJet: stapling a bunch of flights together does not make you an international airline. The B787 won’t make an ounce of difference (other than the massive capital costs) if you keep the amateur mentality. If you don’t have the fleet capacity wetlease a proper machine like everyone else for god’s sake.

- this is my 1st and last adventure with this clown show.

Solely, the painted badge of “Clive Beddoe” on the 787 will save the day, and you will soon forget your negative experience.

After all, look how well he respects his employee group. :lol:

Chime in the lowest paid 737 operators in the world flashing pink. .

“Love where you’re going” - WJ
(Even if that means somewhere you didn’t desire to be)

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Don't they have LGW direct YVR or YYC flights? Can't they put you on one of those instead?

wjawannabe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wjawannabe »

altiplano wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:11 am Don't they have LGW direct YVR or YYC flights?
Unfortunately no. I know they HAVE had them - maybe they’re seasonal? I would have booked it that way from the beginning if I could have.

Just languishing in Toronto waiting for the 10:15pm Calgary flight. 11 hours to get from London UK to Toronto, only another 18 to get to VIctoria! :lol:

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

wjawannabe wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:29 pm
altiplano wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:11 am Don't they have LGW direct YVR or YYC flights?
Unfortunately no. I know they HAVE had them - maybe they’re seasonal? I would have booked it that way from the beginning if I could have.

Just languishing in Toronto waiting for the 10:15pm Calgary flight. 11 hours to get from London UK to Toronto, only another 18 to get to VIctoria! :lol:
On yer 11 hr caper from London to Toronto did WJ toss in the FA third rate inflight comedy routine, on boarding they ask you to wave at the FA holding the aft position , did he/she wave back. 🤠🤠🤠

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

wjawannabe wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:29 pm

Didn't realize that was only seasonal. Good thing you haven't lost your sense of humour yet... That's a brutal itinerary. I hope they have a room for your sit in YYC tonight.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

wjawannabe wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:24 am Yes I called. They swapped a B737 for the B767 on the LGW-YYZ flight. So they have to stop in Halifax for fuel. This makes the connection in Toronto close so instead of a 4pm flight to Vancouver it’s now a 10:15pm flight to Calgary. THAT arrives at 1am, and doesn’t leave for VIctoria until 7 am.

Thus adding 11 hours to the itinerary. Which already sucked, but I accepted that for the cost. But this is just stupid.

Of course, they’re still showing the original itinerary for sale on their site.

A short-haul airline pretending to be a long-haul airline. No explanation for the aircraft swap, I assume it went tech. Total communication fail, referring to the flights as “cancelled”. No explanation, the lady on the phone had to dig for information for nearly 25 min herself.

On the plane now. Most of the pax don’t even know we’re stopping in Halifax. The people who figured it out are pissed and worried for connections. Way to be transparent, WestJet!

I’m with complex - this is my 1st and last adventure with this clown show.
Oh boo friggin hoo!!! :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 you already said yourself “I accepted it for the cost”. Why didn’t you spend a few more $ and fly direct to LHR with AC or BA? Oh wait, you’d still be pissing and moaning if they had a delay or cancellation too. IROPs happen, get over it and be happy they got you on flights home. Look around there’s probably still Primera passengers there too.

Oh and when you start your whining post, how about putting all the information out there!! Include the fact you were connecting in from LGW....

Wjawannabe, yeah right....

wjawannabe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wjawannabe »

Hahah Hilarious, sounds like you know a thing or two about “pissing and moaning yourself”! No need to get defensive just because you’re late to the game finally acquiring new longhaul aircraft. I accepted a 17: 42 hour itinerary, not a 29 hour one arriving the next day. Don’t blame me that you can’t spot the difference! :D

Fortunately WS agreed and spotted me a hotel room to grab 2 hours sleep before having to be back for the last flight. Credit where it’s due.
Blue42 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:24 pm Oh boo friggin hoo!!! :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 you already said yourself “I accepted it for the cost”. Why didn’t you spend a few more $ and fly direct to LHR with AC or BA? Oh wait, you’d still be pissing and moaning if they had a delay or cancellation too. IROPs happen, get over it and be happy they got you on flights home. Look around there’s probably still Primera passengers there too.

Oh and when you start your whining post, how about putting all the information out there!! Include the fact you were connecting in from LGW....

I guess you meant “direct FROM LHR”? Don’t worry, I fully plan to take your advice. IROPS do happen to everyone, my mistake was thinking WestJet can compete with carriers like AC or BA internationally when it comes to recovering from them. Nice of you to admit the cheap fares exist for a reason.

FWIW, you might find that paying for new aircraft with discount fares isn’t the strongest strategy, nor is berating those who pay those fares lol. WestJet’s longhaul ops have definitely established themselves just as capable as the Primera‘s of the industry in delaying, inconveniencing, and generally pissing off pax - better hope you don’t end up the same way! :mrgreen:

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

wjawannabe wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:09 pm Hahah Hilarious, sounds like you know a thing or two about “pissing and moaning yourself”! No need to get defensive just because you’re late to the game finally acquiring new longhaul aircraft. I accepted a 17: 42 hour itinerary, not a 29 hour one arriving the next day. Don’t blame me that you can’t spot the difference! :D

Fortunately WS agreed and spotted me a hotel room to grab 2 hours sleep before having to be back for the last flight. Credit where it’s due.
Blue42 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:24 pm Oh boo friggin hoo!!! :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 you already said yourself “I accepted it for the cost”. Why didn’t you spend a few more $ and fly direct to LHR with AC or BA? Oh wait, you’d still be pissing and moaning if they had a delay or cancellation too. IROPs happen, get over it and be happy they got you on flights home. Look around there’s probably still Primera passengers there too.

I guess you meant “direct FROM LHR”? Don’t worry, I fully plan to take your advice. IROPS do happen to everyone, my mistake was thinking WestJet can compete with carriers like AC or BA internationally when it comes to recovering from them. Nice of you to admit the cheap fares exist for a reason.

FWIW, you might find that paying for new aircraft with discount fares isn’t the strongest strategy, nor is berating those who pay those fares lol. WestJet’s longhaul ops have definitely established themselves just as capable as the Primera‘s of the industry in delaying, inconveniencing, and generally pissing off pax - better hope you don’t end up the same way! :mrgreen:
Of course, when you take all the emotion out of a single incident that has unfortunately affected you, the stats say that over the past two months, WS4 from LGW to YYZ has better performance on average (when measuring delay and OTP) than either BA93 from LHR to YYZ or AC857 from LHR to YYZ, even though they have had to re-accommodate people on 3 flights over that period due to the Gatwick drone incident, from flightstats.com:
ws4.png
ws4.png (154.76 KiB) Viewed 5488 times
ba93.png
ba93.png (190.8 KiB) Viewed 5488 times
ac857.png
ac857.png (179.53 KiB) Viewed 5488 times

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

0 cancellations by AC & BA

3 (5%) cancellations by WJ

So 5% chance you ain’t going anywhere.

I’ll take the other options. Thanks for the stats!

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

flashheart wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:51 pm 0 cancellations by AC & BA

3 (5%) cancellations by WJ

So 5% chance you ain’t going anywhere.

I’ll take the other options. Thanks for the stats!
It sounds as though you haven’t watched the news over the past couple of months, those cancellations were due to the weekend of disruptions due to the drone issue at LGW, not aircraft operational issues, re-accommodation took place on recovery flights. So it is not a valid cancellation rate, knowing the facts and stats can tell you a lot.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Stats eh?

Just looking at the past week for WS 4...

1 x into KEF
1 x into YYT
1 x into YHZ
1 x XLD

How many times were BA or AC into KEF this week?
Screenshot_2019-01-26-22-56-06.png
Screenshot_2019-01-26-22-56-06.png (469.04 KiB) Viewed 5386 times
I guess they were on-time doing it though... Do they get an extra on-time departure report for being on-time out of YHZ or YYT? How late were they for the original arrival into YYZ I wonder?

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

altiplano wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:10 pm Stats eh?

1 x into KEF
1 x into YYT
1 x into YHZ
1 x XLD

I guess they were on-time doing it though... Do they get an extra on-time departure report for being on-time out of YHZ or YYT? How late were they for the original arrival into YYZ I wonder?
You do realize that was due to the fuel tech stops while the 737MAX-8 is being used, as opposed to diversions?

If you look at the big picture, on a WestJet flight you are more likely to arrive and arrive on time than on an Air Canada flight. I don’t think AC has had better OTP than WestJet for quite a few years. In Dec 2018 WestJet had both better OTP and completion factor (78.46% / 98.98%) compared with AC (69.10% / 98.17%). https://www.flightstats.com/v2/monthly- ... s/airlines

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

I heard a rumor once that WS just cancels flights if they overbook. Easier than owning up to the fact that they infact, do overbook.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

aerobod wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:24 pm
altiplano wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:10 pm Stats eh?

1 x into KEF
1 x into YYT
1 x into YHZ
1 x XLD

You do realize that was due to the fuel tech stops while the 737MAX-8 is being used, as opposed to diversions?

If you look at the big picture, on a WestJet flight you are more likely to arrive and arrive on time than on an Air Canada flight. I don’t think AC has had better OTP than WestJet for quite a few years. In Dec 2018 WestJet had both better OTP and completion factor (78.46% / 98.98%) compared with AC (69.10% / 98.17%). https://www.flightstats.com/v2/monthly- ... s/airlines
Tech stop in KEF eh... ON LGW-YYZ routing?

Those are cherry picked pop the brake stats I suppose... do you have arrival stats

Flightaware starts on this flight say:
average departure delay :40-1:00
average arrival delay +1:00

Screenshot_2019-01-27-06-16-41.png
Screenshot_2019-01-27-06-16-41.png (324.03 KiB) Viewed 5273 times
Today's flight shows departure on time and 1:09 LATE on arrival. How does that fit with your stats?
Screenshot_2019-01-27-06-24-47.png
Screenshot_2019-01-27-06-24-47.png (575.32 KiB) Viewed 5272 times

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Here's the AC857 stat from flight aware...

average departure delay <:10
average arrival delay :10-:20

seems divergent from what you have...
Screenshot_2019-01-27-06-29-38.png
Screenshot_2019-01-27-06-29-38.png (299.83 KiB) Viewed 5267 times

Return to “WestJet”