SWOOP - A New Hires Future

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Alpa Male
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: SWOOP - A New Hires Future

Post by Alpa Male »

Donald wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:13 am
.80@410 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:28 am
Alpa Male wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:55 am Well, thank goodness the MEC spent all that negotiating capital on getting rid of those OTS pilots. Cause things seem pretty awesome over there at swoop. But hey, at least we put guys like tbaylx in their place. Right? Totally worth it! Now we can watch the left seat at swoop go to junior encore FO's. Almost a thousand spots out of seniority! Cause there's nothing wrong with that? Nope. Totally makes sense.

Yeah...Winning indeed.
Yup . Still rather the spots go to Encore FOs than the OTS guys. Sorry you don’t understand that.
Good luck to the training department dealing with that.

When people ask my opinion of booking on Swoop, I'll make sure to mention the experience level of their crews.
Yes, Donald! But make sure you tell them that it didn't go OTS. That's important. Winning.
---------- ADS -----------

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

digits_ wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:21 am
Donald wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:16 am
digits_ wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:01 am Is there a limit to the amount of days off you can request per month? :twisted:

Are swoop pilots obligated to keep their phone on 24/7 on their days off now?

Good that they are scrambling for crews. Bad how they are trying to deal with it...
I can picture a pilot requesting 12 days off, but instead being scheduled for those days and getting other days off. That way Crew sked has a pilot available to them for the entire month. Like the junior pilot who requests weekends off, but never gets them.
I was thinking more in the lines of requesting 30 days/month off. That way every day off that is awarded, is by definition a requested day off, and thus not one of those grey day thingies they are trying to force where you are supposed to go to work without extra compensation.
I'd guess they are restricted to only bidding 10-12 days off per month max.

Swoopstar? Tbaylx?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Alpa Male wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:22 am

Yup . Still rather the spots go to Encore FOs than the OTS guys. Sorry you don’t understand that.

When people ask my opinion of booking on Swoop, I'll make sure to mention the experience level of their crews.
Yes, Donald! But make sure you tell them that it didn't go OTS. That's important. Winning.
Positions should only be filled OTS if nobody already at the company bids for then. It’s not rocket surgery 🙄

Alpa Male
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alpa Male »

av8ts wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 am

Positions should only be filled OTS if nobody already at the company bids for then. It’s not rocket surgery 🙄
WJ management WILL NOT upgrade an Encore FO onto a 737. NEVER. WON'T HAPPEN. Ever. Get that sh!t through your head today. It'll make life so much easier.

It's not brain science.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

Alpa Male wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:19 am
Enjoy f*cking this airline into the ground! You're off to a hell of a start.
I'm pretty sure management has that market cornered.

It takes a special kind of stupid to turn one of the most motivated pilot groups in the world into one of the most unmotivated in a few short years.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Are Swoop pilots represented by ALPA, or do you leave the union when you transition?

eyebrow737
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by eyebrow737 »

.80@410 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:30 am
eyebrow737 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:59 am
Alpa Male wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:55 am Well, thank goodness the MEC spent all that negotiating capital on getting rid of those OTS pilots. Cause things seem pretty awesome over there at swoop. But hey, at least we put guys like tbaylx in their place. Right? Totally worth it! Now we can watch the left seat at swoop go to junior encore FO's. Almost a thousand spots out of seniority! Cause there's nothing wrong with that? Nope. Totally makes sense.

Yeah...Winning indeed.
Watch everybody come back and attack this statement, truth as it is.
Truth to you, luckily you are the minority :goodman:
WestJet is a minority in Canadian Aviation. Don't forget that. And the way you are all going you will be nothing more than a memory.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Donald wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:46 am Are Swoop pilots represented by ALPA, or do you leave the union when you transition?
Common employer, Swoop pilots are represented by the WJ MEC

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Yeah...Winning indeed.
Oh dear lord! I don't even know how to respond to that. You're right. I don't get it! I really don't, and for good reason, cause that is by far the stupidest sh!t that I've ever heard!

That statement encapsulates the utter arrogance and the gross hypocrisy of what happened at Swoop. That remark is utterly baffling. "Lets upgrade a guy who landed here 6 months ago, with less experience and no 37 time, as long as we stick it to those OTS guys."

Doesn't matter anyway, cause I know the second floor well, and it'll be a blustery day in hell before that ever happens - Swoop WILL go OTS again. Nothing was resolved, only delayed.

The only people f ing SWOOP into the ground is the parent company.

Lots of qualified guys would be happy to do that flying. Just not for Tbalyx style wages and grey days. The company could fix this mess in 24 hours. It's not a big problem - they just can't wrap their head around the math. I'll send my kid over with a blank sheet of paper and some crayons - he can explain it in about five minutes.

The pilots aren't f ing anything but thanks for coming out Alpha Male.

JJJ

NoSocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NoSocks »

jjj wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Oh dear lord! I don't even know how to respond to that. You're right. I don't get it! I really don't, and for good reason, cause that is by far the stupidest sh!t that I've ever heard!

That statement encapsulates the utter arrogance and the gross hypocrisy of what happened at Swoop. That remark is utterly baffling. "Lets upgrade a guy who landed here 6 months ago, with less experience and no 37 time, as long as we stick it to those OTS guys."

Doesn't matter anyway, cause I know the second floor well, and it'll be a blustery day in hell before that ever happens - Swoop WILL go OTS again. Nothing was resolved, only delayed.

The only people f ing SWOOP into the ground is the parent company.

Lots of qualified guys would be happy to do that flying. Just not for Tbalyx style wages and grey days. The company could fix this mess in 24 hours. It's not a big problem - they just can't wrap their head around the math. I'll send my kid over with a blank sheet of paper and some crayons - he can explain it in about five minutes.

The pilots aren't f ing anything but thanks for coming out Alpha Male.

JJJ
I think its time that the pilot group accept the fact that they tried to call the companies bluff and they lost. Organizing got you into this mess. Perhaps you should send your kid over to ALPA HQ with those crayons.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

.80@410 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:30 am
eyebrow737 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:59 am

Yeah...Winning indeed.
Watch everybody come back and attack this statement, truth as it is.
Truth to you, luckily you are the minority :goodman:
Clearly there is no way of truly measuring this vs. that and everyone is just too happy to speak on behalf of the entire world! At the same time, based on my various conversations, I'd say that thankfully opinions such as yours are a very small minority. And thankfully so. Vindictive, emotional and ongoing resentment like that is just not good for anyone, especially the person oneself. Most people realize that everyone needs to right the ship again and start rowing in the same direction. Furthermore, union or not, there are minimum experience requirements that must me met and just because the dues are going to Virginia, doesn't mean that they just start going from the top of the list calling names. Besides, Encore pilots are not in the same bargaining unit and not yet on the same seniority list. At any rate, cutting the nose to spite the face is not very clever!

As for the comment about grey days and such, my sources on the ground say otherwise. It is clear that most of the guys that went to Swoop, did so under the false promises by ALPA that encouraged them to bid these positions saying that there was going to wage parity or very close to it. Clearly they were in no position to make such promises, no one really could make any promises. As a result, understandably they are very disappointed with the outcome and great majority have bid to go back, but if one really investigates, one may discover that it is sometimes just a bidding tactic as not to be frozen in the position and when the time comes, hard to say how many actually would. At any rate, disappointed or not, making things up just out of anger and disappointment is never wise as it leads to misunderstanding and misinformation and just not very helpful.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Alpa Male wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:17 am

WJ management WILL NOT upgrade an Encore FO onto a 737. NEVER. WON'T HAPPEN. Ever. Get that sh!t through your head today. It'll make life so much easier.

It's not brain science.
If they are qualified, why not?

SwoopStar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SwoopStar »

Cloak,

It is true that GREY DAYS are not in effect as the final draft of the LOU has yet to be completed.

However SWOOP's position is that the definition of a "day off" allows for GREY DAYS.

It is now another battle for ALPA to fight.

SWOOP FAs operate under GREY DAYS.

Last edited by SwoopStar on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
SwoopStar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SwoopStar »

It's not brain science.

What does WestJet management think of 1500hr new hire FOs at SWOOP? That's what SWOOP is targeting for recruitment. SWOOP leadership acknowledges it will be single pilot IFR in a B737-800.

Meanwhile our competitor has the luxury to pick from a pool of 5000+hr 737NG pilots.

Sadly, I feel the common sense and expertise of the second floor is being ignored in the pursuit of an Ultra Low Cost Pilot.

Alpa Male
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alpa Male »

av8ts wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:02 am If they are qualified, why not?
1500 hours and an ATPL makes you "qualified"? Sorry, you're not qualified. Give your head a shake. It's that kind of arrogance and entitlement that led me to say, "you're f*cking this airline into the ground". Saving face and honouring "seniority" comes before any semblance of common sense. You're entitled to your entitlements. Damn practicality and safety. You're owed something.

Aviation is littered with the wreckage of perfectly airworthy aircraft, piloted by guys with that attitude. You'd rather hold onto your principles and arrogance than admit that you have no idea what you're doing. In your world its about "who's right, not what's right". Yes, that attitude will fu*k this airline into the ground.

And I think this sums it up...
SwoopStar wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:14 am What does WestJet management think of 1500hr new hire FOs at SWOOP? That's what SWOOP is targeting for recruitment. SWOOP leadership acknowledges it will be single pilot IFR in a B737-800.

Meanwhile our competitor has the luxury to pick from a pool of 5000+hr 737NG pilots.

Sadly, I feel the common sense and expertise of the second floor is being ignored in the pursuit of an Ultra Low Cost Pilot.
This is exactly WHY we needed/need the OTS pilots.

Just cause it hurts your ego, doesn't make it wrong. Grow up!

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Grey days - days ‘off’...if I can’t sit down at lunch and have a beer with a friend, then it ain’t a day off!
( Not that I need alcohol to have a good time - more that I know that I won’t get called for work for the next 8/10/12 hours...)

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

av8ts wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:02 am

It's not brain science.
Ahhhh, ALPA Male, don't know if you saw the last PSB (last week) for Swoop but 5 Encore FO's are going on the 37.......

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Alpha Male,

We've never needed the OTS guys at Swoop. We need a fair wage for a fair day's work on a 37.

As far as the original OTS guys at Swoop went - they were hardly cream of the crop. Some serious problems with hands and feet. Scary stuff.

JJJ

Alpa Male
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alpa Male »

tps8903 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:40 pm
av8ts wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:02 am

It's not brain science.
Ahhhh, ALPA Male, don't know if you saw the last PSB (last week) for Swoop but 5 Encore FO's are going on the 37.......
Ahhhh, tps8903, they're not going as Captains.

Alpa Male
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alpa Male »

jjj wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:05 pm Alpha Male,

We've never needed the OTS guys at Swoop. We need a fair wage for a fair day's work on a 37.

As far as the original OTS guys at Swoop went - they were hardly cream of the crop. Some serious problems with hands and feet. Scary stuff.

JJJ
Ok, but here lies the hypocrisy in that - why is it ok for anyone at WJ/Encore to bid onto Swoop? Why do they get a pass? Why aren't they accused of "lowering the bar"? It's a little disingenuous to discredit an OTS pilot for lowering the bar when WJ pilots line up for the same position. Hi pot, meet kettle.

Return to “WestJet”