Future hiring

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Future hiring

Post by pacman007 »

Well AC bid is out with 800+ vacancies, whats Westjets future vacancies? Any incite on how many pilots Westjet needs? Just an observation that if AC needs 800 pilots how is any other airline, not just Westjet, get even 1 applicant?
---------- ADS -----------

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Future hiring

Post by WestJet Puke »

pacman007 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:22 pm Well AC bid is out with 800+ vacancies, whats Westjets future vacancies? Any incite on how many pilots Westjet needs? Just an observation that if AC needs 800 pilots how is any other airline, not just Westjet, get even 1 applicant?
Double post

Last edited by WestJet Puke on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

pacman007 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:22 pm Well AC bid is out with 800+ vacancies, whats Westjets future vacancies? Any incite on how many pilots Westjet needs? Just an observation that if AC needs 800 pilots how is any other airline, not just Westjet, get even 1 applicant?
We have exactly 2 openings on our latest bid. 1 B787 CA and 1 B787 FO. Whomever gets the B787 Captain spot is on page 2 of a 50+ page seniority list. B787 FO slots are going to people who have 12-17 years seniority and often have been B737 Captains for years. There hasn't been a B737 Captain slot to be bid on since the spring. Nobody seems to want to go to Swoop as the pay / working conditions are terrible. Numerous WJ pilots have either left for AC in the past two years or are thinking of leaving.

Draw your own conclusions about which airline offers you the best future.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Wait till onex takes over and the max comes back online then we'll see how far behind the hiring curve we are

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Isn't that very short sighted? The max is likely coming back in early 2020, that's quite a number of planes that will quickly need crews. Initial courses take longer than 2 weeks, and they'll need a lot of pilots.

Mrbobmarly111
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mrbobmarly111 »

It's simple. Get on at AC or Jazz now. Or go and get 1600$ bi weekly at westjet for 12 years. Jazz needs 400+ ppl in a year and upgrades are less than 2 years. With a pension plan. Once westjet goes private what happens to your share purchase plan. Go to AC now. Apply apply apply. Dont be dumb. To put things in perspective AC will hire the equivalent of every encore, swoop and westjet pilot combined in the next 2 years. 1400 pilots in 2 years.

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

Westjet keeps claiming they are gearing up for a mass hiring, but I've heard that for 2 years. I've heard multiple managers tell me 500 pilots. October is suppose to be a big bid. We will se if big bid means 12 spots or 60 spots.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

pacman007, not to "incite" outrage at your writing skills, but a software spellcheck is no substitute for real "insight"!

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

seriousflyer wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:36 pm Westjet keeps claiming they are gearing up for a mass hiring, but I've heard that for 2 years. I've heard multiple managers tell me 500 pilots. October is suppose to be a big bid. We will se if big bid means 12 spots or 60 spots.
It should not be a surprise or secret that a meaningful bid can only be published by WestJet when the Onex deal is complete and the Max is back flying. These two together (and Swoop) could result in open positions close to the number you mentioned.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

You folks need to stop using the max getting back to service as a plan for future growth. It is not. We were staffed for the max before they went out of service. October 73 initial class is not going to be huge. The rest of the year and foreseeable future is all OTS hiring for mainline. Until the onex deal goes through later this fall, we probs won’t see any more growth in any way. Two of our 76s are leaving us. We don’t even own our own 78s because of deplorable decision making. All in all, yes growth is coming but not anytime soon. So no to widebody growth and definitely no to Max’s as your excuse.

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

300 hires in the next year according to SW.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

MrTurbine wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:51 am You folks need to stop using the max getting back to service as a plan for future growth. It is not. We were staffed for the max before they went out of service. October 73 initial class is not going to be huge. The rest of the year and foreseeable future is all OTS hiring for mainline. Until the onex deal goes through later this fall, we probs won’t see any more growth in any way. Two of our 76s are leaving us. We don’t even own our own 78s because of deplorable decision making. All in all, yes growth is coming but not anytime soon. So no to widebody growth and definitely no to Max’s as your excuse.
When was it announced two 76’s are leaving?

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

So 300 new hires at mainline? Or did he mean 300 at Swoop, Encore and Link?

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

He means Scott Wilson (SW), VP Ops at WJA.
300 is alot for Westjet, I think the most they have hired in one year 170ish.
If they plan to hire 300, that's massive for our size of operation. Wait to hear the official numbers in the coming weeks.

I'll add - we dont control hiring for link.
Also - when people talk about hiring at westjet, its usually exclusive to mainline, not encore, and sometimes swoop is included...

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

Well let’s hope swoop is not in those numbers! Currently 8 tails and can go to 30. Usually 13/14 crew per tail. Do the math that’s darn close to 300!

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

Yup...that marh works.
My thesis from the beginning is Onex is interested in rapid expansion of swoop to 30 tails. Why wouldn't an investment firm want to expand an operation.at those cost metrics.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

MrTurbine wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:51 am We don’t even own our own 78s because of deplorable decision making.
Or maybe it was because of a little foresight. When the Onex deal closes why will it be an issue Westjet doesn’t own the 787’s? Are you aware of who does own the 87’s?

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

Ya I agree with yycjetdriver, selling a depreciating assest at a profit, then leasing back at favorable terms, is good business sense, especially when your trying to spread capital across multiple divisions of the company. It's quite common. It also reduces risks on the company books, allowing more credit from financiers.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

seriousflyer wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:54 am Ya I agree with yycjetdriver, selling a depreciating assest at a profit, then leasing back at favorable terms, is good business sense, especially when your trying to spread capital across multiple divisions of the company. It's quite common. It also reduces risks on the company books, allowing more credit from financiers.
I was just alluding to the fact BBAM owns the 87’s and BBAM is also in the Onex portfolio.

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

Oh ok, sorry for misinterpretation,. Thanks for the info. Very interesting and good to know.

Return to “WestJet”