WestJet Group Hiring Freeze

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

WestJet Group Hiring Freeze

Post by GoinVertical »

So effective immediately the WJ Group of companies has a hiring freeze and freeze of all internal movement (I assume this means upgrades and the like).

Also talks about furloughs and layoffs.

The blame is apparently on reduced bookings due to coronavirus, but I can't help but wonder if there's maybe more to it... especially given how low pilot staffing levels are, at least at Encore. They're already cancelling flights due to lack of staffing.

OneX planning some major organizational structure changes in the near future? Or are things going to be this bad at AC/Express too?
---------- ADS -----------

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: WestJet Group Hiring Freeze

Post by derateNO »

When you get bought by a company known for slashing and cutting companies to bits, it's a no brainier that they are getting ahead of the curve.

Anyone who didn't see this coming is naive.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

It gets worse, word out there is that SWOOP just cancelled the latest planned training course and is sending the last tail number delivered back to the lease company (or wherever it was coming from)

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

Three separate thoughts:

Furloughs have not been discussed and layoffs have only been mentioned as a last resort.

Any classes that are currently underway or are scheduled to start in the next week are continuing.

Onex cannot slash pilot jobs as that will reduce their ability to make money. They will begin with management jobs.

chromeuser
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chromeuser »

If a furlough does happen in the most worst case scenario and pilots are not flying during that time and staying current, what happens then?

Example: Furloughed for a year ... and no flying. That to me is lost piloting proficiency.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

chromeuser wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:30 pm If a furlough does happen in the most worst case scenario and pilots are not flying during that time and staying current, what happens then?

Example: Furloughed for a year ... and no flying. That to me is lost piloting proficiency.
Employment Insurance. Basically a small percentage of your normal salary for sitting on your ass and looking for a comparable job.

If we contract the virus during the course of our work, we have STD to help us.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

GRK2 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:57 pm It gets worse, word out there is that SWOOP just cancelled the latest planned training course and is sending the last tail number delivered back to the lease company (or wherever it was coming from)
That's good news not bad news.

chromeuser
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chromeuser »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:35 pm
chromeuser wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:30 pm If a furlough does happen in the most worst case scenario and pilots are not flying during that time and staying current, what happens then?

Employment Insurance. Basically a small percentage of your normal salary for sitting on your ass and looking for a comparable job.

If we contract the virus during the course of our work, we have STD to help us.
With recalls and what not, if one has not been flying for an extended period of time does the company provide additional training to get the PPC done?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I thought the sticking point of the One List was the backwards flow in the event of this exact scenario? Shouldn't WS pilots be guaranteed spots at Encore in order of seniority now?

SOBIESKI
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SOBIESKI »

You will make the same money being on EI vs working at encore. 😆

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

chromeuser wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:42 pm With recalls and what not, if one has not been flying for an extended period of time does the company provide additional training to get the PPC done?
Yes, the company is responsible for bringing the pilot back up to standards before re-entering the line.
SOBIESKI wrote: Wed Dec 31, 1969 5:00 pmYou will make the same money being on EI vs working at encore.
I'm hoping that seniority and the pay difference will allow me some breathing room. Thank you for that point.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

SOBIESKI wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:36 pm You will make the same money being on EI vs working at encore. 😆
LMAO 😆

Keep the dirty side down.
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Companies like Onex are in the money business: sometimes getting rid of everything is just a way to reduce taxes. I wouldn't look at it like a real business where you sell things, get paid, etc. These types are a different breed, and make money by moving columns around.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi
This has nothing to do with Onex. It’s all about the virus and what effects it’s having across the world and how that effects air travel. We would be doing the same if Onex wasn’t the new owner in order to take care of the business.
Cheers

chromeuser
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chromeuser »

I've been at Encore less than 6 months.

I am expecting a notice soon and planning for it.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I actually think you are correct in this case, but as I have said before, I know next to nothing about how big airlines are run. I do know a bit about business in general. People are just looking to blame when their lives are upended.

sullecpt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sullecpt »

chromeuser wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:15 am I've been at Encore less than 6 months.

Thats a big statement. Whats the talk around the water cooler like right now?

Keep your head up!

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

GRK2 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:57 pm It gets worse, word out there is that SWOOP just cancelled the latest planned training course and is sending the last tail number delivered back to the lease company (or wherever it was coming from)
The Swoop tails are owned by WestJet as far as I know, so WestJet would be the lessor. WestJet may be returning leased planes and want their tails back-the Swoop planes are 10 of the newest 737-800’s WestJet owns.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
Tony Soprano
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tony Soprano »

chromeuser
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chromeuser »

sullecpt wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:21 am
chromeuser wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:15 am I've been at Encore less than 6 months.

Thats a big statement. Whats the talk around the water cooler like right now?

Keep your head up!
No talk, based on reality.

Markets are free falling and everything else we are all hearing and reading, including the news from Ed Sims about freezes and cuts.

Tourism is taking a massive hit. It's only a matter of time before layoffs happen.

I hope I am wrong but it'll happen.

Plan accordingly if your seniority number is relatively fresh, to all pilots in all carriers.

Return to “WestJet”