WestJet Group Hiring Freeze

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: WestJet Group Hiring Freeze

Post by Bede »

tsgas wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:23 pm
Realitychex wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:30 pm If you talk to the powers at be at Onex, they'll tell you they bought WJ at a $4-$7 per share discount to its true value. Onex doesn't over pay for anything.

They bought WJ when it was just coming out of a mud puddle and they know it.

They'll be furloughs at AC, WJ, AA, Delta, UAL, Alaska, jetBlue, Southwest.......everyone. No one is immune.

Everyone should be back at work within about 90 days.

Use your time off wisely. It's a rare opportunity for airlines to reset and for employees to get an extended break.

If you think Onex bought WJ in order to shrink it, you're delusional.
Stop trying to pass yourself off as some kind of a genius. There is no need for your " you're delusion" because people have a different opinion than you.

Years ago Onex made a mistake and bought Beechcraft and then decided to drop it when the numbers didn't preform. The World is a different place currently and businesses will have to adjust to this new reality.
I have been following RealityChex stuff for a while. What I have noticed is that his posts are prescient. Pretty much whatever he says ends up coming to pass. That says a lot in my books. This will be no different. There will be massive short term blood letting shortly potentially moving into the medium turn if Covid-19 triggers a recession and causes a longer term down turn in air travel.
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Realitychex
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Realitychex »

Transonic wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:07 am Thanks Realitychex,

If WestJet were to start up in Dec 2019 funded partly by a US airline tycoon, would they have lasted this crisis?

Will any Canadian investor want to back a new ULCC based in YYC in the future?
Not sure where you’re going with this one.

WJ made it through a bogus 30 day gov’t imposed, politically motivated.shutdown in Sept 1996, (all they ever found were about 25 minor paperwork issues and the total fine was less than $5k, all a matter of public record) and WJ was the first North American sched carrier back in the air after 9/11.

The rest is sort of “if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle” sort of conjecture. Not particularly useful.

I’ll be the first to acknowledge that WJ today is nothing like WJ in 1996 or 2001. But then neither too are any of the airlines operating in Canada today.

The first airlines to slash capacity will be the ones that will be in the best position to survive this event. For employees, it’s truly a “short term pain for long term gain” situation.

Stand by for new ATIS message.

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

Thanks for that. My apologies, I was indirectly referring to Enerjet’s ambitions. Will anyone invest in them now? Is there a need for Swoop post Covid-19?

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

Was there ever a need for Swoop?

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

George Taylor wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:59 am Was there ever a need for Swoop?
We all know why Swoop is a thing.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Realitychex wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:53 am WJ made it through a bogus 30 day gov’t imposed, politically motivated.shutdown in Sept 1996, (all they ever found were about 25 minor paperwork issues and the total fine was less than $5k, all a matter of public record) and WJ was the first North American sched carrier back in the air after 9/11.
If I remember correctly WestJet voluntarily suspended operations in 1996. Very good PR move imho.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

As of 23:59 on Sunday, all scheduled flights outside of Canada will be cancelled and the domestic flights will be cut to about 50% of normal. So basically 25% of the scheduled flights will remain by 23 Mar. https://blog.westjet.com/statement-on-o ... m-ed-sims/

Realitychex
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Realitychex »

Eric Janson wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:58 am
Realitychex wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:53 am WJ made it through a bogus 30 day gov’t imposed, politically motivated.shutdown in Sept 1996, (all they ever found were about 25 minor paperwork issues and the total fine was less than $5k, all a matter of public record) and WJ was the first North American sched carrier back in the air after 9/11.
If I remember correctly WestJet voluntarily suspended operations in 1996. Very good PR move imho.
[/quo

It worked out just fine as I recall. The company was profitable the month flights resumed, and from then on for about 8 years straight with double digit growth.

The others? Well, not so much.

8)

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

As covid 19 really starts to show us how unprepared we are and that we didn't take it seriously, I think we're looking at a near total shutdown of air travel for a month or so.
I know Jack shit, I know how to fly. I see a monster of a storm coming, one we haven't seen this big before. It's going to get ugly, and I don't think it's going to recover fast. I hope I'm wrong.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

KAG wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:33 am As covid 19 really starts to show us how unprepared we are and that we didn't take it seriously, I think we're looking at a near total shutdown of air travel for a month or so.
I know Jack shit, I know how to fly. I see a monster of a storm coming, one we haven't seen this big before. It's going to get ugly, and I don't think it's going to recover fast. I hope I'm wrong.
Look out when this current shit show subsides and the pent up demand with people tired and pissed off being secluded and everything closed. Everyone will go nuts, especially on travel.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Well, I like to think the glass is still half full, but you are assuming people have any money at all to do such things. I hope they do.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

ayseven wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:56 am Well, I like to think the glass is still half full, but you are assuming people have any money at all to do such things. I hope they do.
I think like you( glass half full). Summer is here officially in another 3 months, I am willing to wager there will be some stability by then, we are not dealing with Black Plague.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Nothing is going back to normal. Trudeau has officially killed the economy and it is not coming back anytime soon.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

palebird wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:17 am Nothing is going back to normal. Trudeau has officially killed the economy and it is not coming back anytime soon.
How is it that Trudeau killed the economy?
I’m a PC voter and supporter but please provide an example of what any government could do or have done differently that would have prevented the ensuing contraction, please!

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Some have not been through similar or worse events in their lives. Possibly they have not experienced much adversity in life. That's nice for them; little do they know adversity is part of maturation process. Much worse has happened before and more will likely happen again, but life goes on! After all, it's not just about "surviving" this or other events, but more importantly doing it with some level of composure, character, and humanity.

The world has witnessed a lot of worse and the governments have a lot more at their disposal to stimulate the economy. The best remedy for the economy really is people living their lives normally and doing regular commerce. That will happen once the situation is stabilized. In the meantime, some forbearance is needed and one and all must go on as best we can.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

palebird wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:17 am Nothing is going back to normal. Trudeau has officially killed the economy and it is not coming back anytime soon.
Wow, I didn't realize Trudeau was so powerful. Apparently he has shut down Asia, Europe, South America and the USA in addition to screwing Canada. I always thought Prime Minister of Canada was just a bit player on the world stage, didn't realize he was in control of all the big places.....

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

cloak wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:49 am Some have not been through similar or worse events in their lives. Possibly they have not experienced much adversity in life. That's nice for them; little do they know adversity is part of maturation process. Much worse has happened before and more will likely happen again, but life goes on! After all, it's not just about "surviving" this or other events, but more importantly doing it with some level of composure, character, and humanity.

The world has witnessed a lot of worse and the governments have a lot more at their disposal to stimulate the economy. The best remedy for the economy really is people living their lives normally and doing regular commerce. That will happen once the situation is stabilized. In the meantime, some forbearance is needed and one and all must go on as best we can.
Google recession early ‘80s and you will get an answer. I was in the thick of it at the time, wasn’t pleasant for sure.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

goldeneagle wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:50 am
Wow, I didn't realize Trudeau was so powerful. Apparently he has shut down Asia, Europe, South America and the USA in addition to screwing Canada. I always thought Prime Minister of Canada was just a bit player on the world stage, didn't realize he was in control of all the big places.....
Your politics and your sarcasm are one person's OPINION only.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

Old fella wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:37 am
cloak wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:49 am Some have not been through similar or worse events in their lives. Possibly they have not experienced much adversity in life. That's nice for them; little do they know adversity is part of maturation process. Much worse has happened before and more will likely happen again, but life goes on! After all, it's not just about "surviving" this or other events, but more importantly doing it with some level of composure, character, and humanity.

Google recession early ‘80s and you will get an answer. I was in the thick of it at the time, wasn’t pleasant for sure.
Go back to May 1973 during the Arab oil embargo , when the majority of B-747's World wide were grounded.

Return to “WestJet”