Will Westjet survive?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Will Westjet survive?

Post by KAG »

Sonic, I hope for your case (and other WJers ) you're wrong on a few points.
I truly hope that someone from onex is monitoring this thread and takes this to heart - what made Westjet Westjet was the people, not cheap labour.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by KAG on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Hey Sonic,

Thanks for the honest response. I wish you all the best getting back to work.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

Bede wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:47 am
Sonic17 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:12 pm That NoSocks guy certainly isn’t me. I know that...because I’m him. My buddy (who is very active in this forum) looped me in ( I won’t out him because you’ll probably treat him like a Swoop pilot - I mean, a WS pilot is friends with a noted WS pilot hater...it’s the stuff of nightmares right?).

Although, I do appreciate the sentiment that ya’ll have me on a hate list. Warms the cockles of my heart.

All kidding aside...(who kidding?!) this is some $hitty times - union or no union. Careers are in the gutter or at a complete stop. Not good for anyone (even you jerk pilots).

Wash your hands

(And if I could post an animated gif I would )
Sonic,
I'm honestly curious your thoughts (and your office colleagues) on this whole 3333 permanent layoffs. The way I see it, this has little to do with Covid as WJ could have just kept these employees on layoff until recovery. To paraphrase Ed/Mark about the CSA's- they're just too expensive compared to contractors. Of course they want existing CSA's in those roles. Who wouldn't want to have employees with the skills demanding $20-$30/hr working at a job for $15-$20/hr, that they don't need to train. It's disingenuous for them to suggest that they want these employees in these roles to help them out.

I have a good job, and if WJ wants to come after me, well, I have a union to fight for me. But I always judge people based on how they treat the powerless; and in this case WJ management's actions are unforgivable. The very people who resisted unionization, took LOA's to help out- and now, this is how they're repaid.

I was once, like you, fervently anti-union. But as WJ started going after the CSA's, I knew that there was a change in philosophy and we required a union. The events seem to just strengthen my support for unionization.

Your thoughts?
You can't layoff people indefinitely unless the CBA says otherwise as per the CLC. The CLC says you can do a temporary layoff for up to 3 months with the option to extend it another 3 months. after that it must be a permanent layoff and then severance must be paid out as per the CLC. I'm guessing WJ will permanently lay off more in another 3 months when they can't extend anyone on a temporary layoff any longer.

Why didn't they permanently lay off people to start???? Market volatility and then they would have had to pay severance at at time when they are short on cash. Why did they permanently layoff some right now instead of extending their temporary layoff? Pay out some severance now and some later instead of a very large lump sum 3 months from now. Unless there was a sharp travel recovery top management knew these people weren't going to be back to work any time soon. They just followed the CLC and used the options available.

Once again a CA/CBA can override the CLC in several of these areas but not all.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

bobcaygeon wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:32 pm
You can't layoff people indefinitely unless the CBA says otherwise as per the CLC. The CLC says you can do a temporary layoff for up to 3 months with the option to extend it another 3 months. after that it must be a permanent layoff and then severance must be paid out as per the CLC. I'm guessing WJ will permanently lay off more in another 3 months when they can't extend anyone on a temporary layoff any longer.

Why didn't they permanently lay off people to start???? Market volatility and then they would have had to pay severance at at time when they are short on cash. Why did they permanently layoff some right now instead of extending their temporary layoff? Pay out some severance now and some later instead of a very large lump sum 3 months from now. Unless there was a sharp travel recovery top management knew these people weren't going to be back to work any time soon. They just followed the CLC and used the options available.

Once again a CA/CBA can override the CLC in several of these areas but not all.
You have to pay severance only if insufficient notice is given. If an employee is owed, let's say, 12 weeks severance, giving 12 weeks notice means that they don't need to pay severance. That's how I understand it anyways, but I'm open to correction. It just makes the thing even worse- they get people to take a LOA and while on LOA they give notice of layoff. In essence, WJ is, once again, trying a workaround the spirit of the CLC. I hope these CSA's/office folks guys fight back.

Return to “WestJet”