Commuting

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

learcapt
Rank 4
Rank 4

Commuting

Post by learcapt »

Hello everyone. Is it possible to commute from Ontario while working for WestJet?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Commuting

Post by Smitty »

You can commute from anywhere you want. We already have several Pilots and Flight Attendants that commute from Ontario.

McDoo the Irish Navigator
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by McDoo the Irish Navigator »

I will expand on my colleague's statement and say we have hundreds of pilots and flight attendants commuting from Ontario,

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean no-one's out to get you.
neophyte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neophyte »

I will elaborate on my colleague's statements and state that there are under 50 pilots (4 capt/37 fo) and over a hundred FAs "porting" and commuting out of YYZ.

Neo

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

I will further add to my previous compadre's assertion by submitting that we also have commuters from YOW, YHM, YXU, YQT, and probably other Ontario WJ destinations that aren't coming to my mind at the moment! :mrgreen:

Drinking outside the box.
WJ700
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJ700 »

YKF....

GARRETT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GARRETT »

Any YQQ commuters out there? If so, how easy is it to do? Have you ever had to drive to YYJ or YVR to catch a ride to YYC? How close is YQQ to getting port status?

learcapt
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by learcapt »

Thank you everyone. Is there an avergae to the number of days most trips out of YYC entail? You can always PM me.

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

Everything from 1-5 days. You can bid for preferences and usually get them. If you want 4 or 5 day pairings, you won't have any troubles.

Drinking outside the box.
learcapt
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by learcapt »

Thank you

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

any westjetter from YUL ?

rightseatwonder
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by rightseatwonder »

non.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

hard to believe, not you, but hard to believe there is no pilots living in YUL working for westjet.
but if you say so... stil, hard to believe...

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

What about reserve days? You can port lets say out of YOW but can you stay in YOW on your reserve days?

The Fish
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by The Fish »

There is no reserve for pilots at WJ, you do your 80 odd hours and that's it.

DeltaHotel
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DeltaHotel »

I would love to fly for WestJet !
Im out of YUL ... would they allow me to commute to YYZ ?

Jastapilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Jastapilot »

There is a port in YYZ so you might get the odd pairing there, but for the most part you'd be commuting to YYC, and no, there'd be no problem commuting out of anywhere you live, just show up for work.

tire kicker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tire kicker »

Anyone on here commute from yyt if so how do you find it, how many days do you get home a month PM me if you like too.. 8)

Westward_Bound
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Westward_Bound »

Excuse my potential ignorance, but I'm new. So how does the commute work? I'm in YVR, so if I wanted to commute, do I have to catch a flight to YYC the night before I work, stay there for my days on, then catch a flight back after my last day of work?

Do most pilots do the 4 on 3 off type thing? If so, that would really only give you 1 full day off, since your first and last day would be spent waiting for a seat?

What would happend if you didn't catch the last flight?

If someone could just run me thru the typical YVR commute please.

Thanks

flystraightin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flystraightin »

Westward_Bound wrote:Excuse my potential ignorance, but I'm new. So how does the commute work? I'm in YVR, so if I wanted to commute, do I have to catch a flight to YYC the night before I work, stay there for my days on, then catch a flight back after my last day of work?

Do most pilots do the 4 on 3 off type thing? If so, that would really only give you 1 full day off, since your first and last day would be spent waiting for a seat?

What would happend if you didn't catch the last flight?

If someone could just run me thru the typical YVR commute please.

Thanks
Just a heads up, I'm NOT a pilot. Rather a cpl student working pt for WestJet, not as a pilot, but hopefully someday.

From what I understand, you're completely on your own for getting to work. Bottom line: make check-in time for your flight. With YVR it's not that bad, you have the option to port from YVR which gives you a chance of having your pairings start and finish in Vancouver. If you choose to commute, you have 15 or so flights on us, plus the jumpseat on AC or Jazz.

First off, don't call it a "4 on 3 off thing." It's hardly that. Pairings are (usually, maybe always?) 4 days. You work 75-80 hrs per month. Technically this could be 4-1-4 depending on what you bid on or trade for.

If you commute and your pairing starts before the first YVR flight arrives in YYC, you will have to sleep in the airport (my personal fave :mrgreen: ), pay for a crashpad, or rent a hotel and travel the night before on your own time. You might try to bid on a commutable line from YYC that allows you to connect from YVR the same day. If you get stuck, you get stuck. During the holiday season, I'd imagine this can get very stressful.

The only reason I have a vague idea of how this works, is because it will potentially be my own situation in a few years.

I'd also like to hear from some of the YVR porters on their QOL and how commuting is working for them.

Thanks

fly straight in
--

Return to “WestJet”